Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro CF 160mb/s benchmark

Started by Alex Stroud, December 24, 2013, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Stroud

Thought you guys might be interested to have this. I don't think it's been posted anywhere yet.

walter_schulz

Can you give the results for Playback mode with Global Draw off, please?

Alex Stroud

Dumb question but how do i do it in playback mode? I'm new to all of this

AlexRo

Did you manage to record 1920x672 in 50p? If not, then this card is equal to Transcend CF 1000x udma 7 (120 mb/sec) for this camera.

Alex Stroud

I'll post movie and playback benchmarks in a sec with global draw turned off. After I'll try the 50p video AlexRo.

Alex Stroud

Bear in mind that I'm 100% new to raw video and I'm not sure about settings yet, I don't seem to be able to shoot 50p in 1920x672. I have the Canon menu set to 1280 50 ALL-I, and the ML menu set to 1920x672 raw with FPS override turned off along with global draw and everything else.

Danne

Turn on fps override and set it to 50fps and 1280x720p 50fps in canon menu.
You could also try to set the "still image quality" to lowres jpg in canon-menu to squeeze a little extra juice out. Also "small hacks" on in magic lantern menu.
Good luck

Alex Stroud

I only seem to be able to record 4 seconds even with those tips

Danne

That is probably as good as it gets no matter how fast your card is. Think the camera writes around 100mb tops.

Alex Stroud

Danne

Under "advanced" in the video raw menu. Won,t give you a lot extra though

Alex Stroud

I seem to be able to record 100% fine at 1728x606 when shooting raw 50p

tupp

I would like to test a couple of cards.

What is the ML feature(s) that allows one to display and capture such a screen below?:

Thanks!

Krane

Quote from: Danne on December 25, 2013, 10:00:24 PM
That is probably as good as it gets no matter how fast your card is. Think the camera writes around 100mb tops.
I haven't been able to locate the specification for the max speed of the CF card slot, but I can confirm that the UDMA 7 cards can read and write a lot faster.

My own test using CrystalDisk  Mark net 152 read and 121 write. The fastest I was able to get on the camera was 126 read and 92 write. Well below the cards capability.
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: tupp on January 05, 2014, 05:08:48 AM
I would like to test a couple of cards.
What is the ML feature(s) that allows one to display and capture such a screen below?:

To Benchmark you card properly for MAX speed compatible with ML:

1. Go to ML and turn OFF Global Draw
2. Do not test while LV is active, meaning not in video mode or photo with Live View Mode.  This is refereed to testing in Playback mode
3. Make sure your Camera Auto Power off is disabled in Canon menu.
4. Go to the ML menu and find the Debug menu and then the Benchmark, and select Card R/W benchmark (5min)

When the benchmark has finished ML will automatically record the bitmap image in your card.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Protoltype

Hey guys,

I just bought a few days ago a fresh "Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro CF 160MB/s" from Amazon.
But as you can see in my benchmark picture, there is the name:
CF SMI Corporation SDCFXPS-064G

and not like Alex Stroud's benchmark picture, where stands:
CF SanDisk SDCFXPS-064G

Do you guys think I've catched a fake CF card?
What are your opinions?

Protoltype

Here are more benchmarks with Global Draw set to off.
With the mlv_rec module activated.
Preview = Canon
Extra Hacks = On
Buffer full method = 3
CF-only buffer = 3
Freshly formatted CF Card with exFat
Magic Lantern installed on a "SanDisk Ultra SDHC 32GB Class 10"
Original Canon Battery

Fake card or not?

Krane

Quote from: Protoltype on January 10, 2014, 05:38:21 AM
Here are more benchmarks with Global Draw set to off.
With the mlv_rec module activated.
Preview = Canon
Extra Hacks = On
Buffer full method = 3
CF-only buffer = 3
Freshly formatted CF Card with exFat
Magic Lantern installed on a "SanDisk Ultra SDHC 32GB Class 10"
Original Canon Battery

Fake card or not?

Not. Those are valid readings. What were you expecting?

Protoltype

Quote from: Krane on January 10, 2014, 06:23:51 AM
Not. Those are valid readings. What were you expecting?

I was just confused about the name "CF SMI Corporation SDCFXPS-064G" and I don't have any clue why this name should be different than Alex's one.
If I was SanDisk I would just use one name for the same product. The values are just fine, though. But I personally bought SanDisk because I never had issues with their "original" CF-Cards reliability.

I googled "SMI Corporation Compact Flash" and found this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/971601759/SMI_card_CF_Card_CompactFlash_card.html

And voila, there is the name "SMI".
I mean they seem to be really cheap and you can buy many of these fast cards. Probably same as fast as the SanDisk ones.
If I would want to make profit with this technique, I just would buy plenty of these cheap cards and replace the stickers with the SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s ones.
Do you guys think this theory is crazy or do you think it is actually real? I am confused about that. The answer will not only help me but all others here in the forum and anywhere else in the world who are interested in the "original SanDisk" ones.

Thanks in advance !

Krane

Quote from: Protoltype on January 10, 2014, 07:21:34 AM
I was just confused about the name "CF SMI Corporation SDCFXPS-064G" and I don't have any clue why this name should be different than Alex's one.
If I was SanDisk I would just use one name for the same product. The values are just fine, though. But I personally bought SanDisk because I never had issues with their "original" CF-Cards reliability.

I googled "SMI Corporation Compact Flash" and found this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/971601759/SMI_card_CF_Card_CompactFlash_card.html

And voila, there is the name "SMI".
I mean they seem to be really cheap and you can buy many of these fast cards. Probably same as fast as the SanDisk ones.
If I would want to make profit with this technique, I just would buy plenty of these cheap cards and replace the stickers with the SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s ones.
Do you guys think this theory is crazy or do you think it is actually real? I am confused about that. The answer will not only help me but all others here in the forum and anywhere else in the world who are interested in the "original SanDisk" ones.

Thanks in advance !
Re-branding is a common business practice. For example, Samsung makes virtually all of the computer panel used in the industry even though you buy monitors from Apple or Dell.

The problem comes when you intentionally mislead or use someone else name without their permission. The unique thing about branding is it establish a reputation of quality. As you might guess, manufacturers are very guarded about what they put their name on.

The problem with those second tier cards is they typically lack strict quality control. These things are stamped in mass so some batches are good, while other batches are faulty but make it through. That's why many people experience this 50/50 good/bad from some card makers. Essentially making the consumer, their quality control. Which many people don't mind, if they can save money.

Protoltype

Quote from: Krane on January 10, 2014, 04:37:48 PM
Re-branding is a common business practice. For example, Samsung makes virtually all of the computer panel used in the industry even though you buy monitors from Apple or Dell.

The problem comes when you intentionally mislead or use someone else name without their permission. The unique thing about branding is it establish a reputation of quality. As you might guess, manufacturers are very guarded about what they put their name on.

The problem with those second tier cards is they typically lack strict quality control. These things are stamped in mass so some batches are good, while other batches are faulty but make it through. That's why many people experience this 50/50 good/bad from some card makers. Essentially making the consumer, their quality control. Which many people don't mind, if they can save money.

You were right Krane.
I contacted SanDisk Europe and asked them to verify that this CF card is an original SanDisk CF.
They did verify that this is their original SanDisk CF card.

Thank you, sometimes Google brings you to ideas that are completely wrong :)
Folks I will upload soon a PDF document where I did run lot of benchmarks with the Canon 5D Mark 3 and ML RAW Enabled.
I compare the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 160MB/s vs Lexar Professional 1000x 64 GB.

Just watchout here for another link I will create a new Topic.

Protoltype

Quote from: Protoltype on January 10, 2014, 08:34:51 PM

You were right Krane.
I contacted SanDisk Europe and asked them to verify that this CF card is an original SanDisk CF.
They did verify that this is their original SanDisk CF card.

Thank you, sometimes Google brings you to ideas that are completely wrong :)
Folks I will upload soon a PDF document where I did run lot of benchmarks with the Canon 5D Mark 3 and ML RAW Enabled.
I compare the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 160MB/s vs Lexar Professional 1000x 64 GB.

Just watchout here for another link I will create a new Topic.

Here we go, here is the comparison on a pdf document downloadable for free:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9967.new#new

Have fun!

onlypapai

Very informative. I have purchased my 5D MK III yesterday for ML RAW. I cant afford a 64GB Extreme Pro right now. Do you think a 32GB will perform like your 64GB?

KMikhail

As for the 5D3 RAW movie this cards looks impressive with 90+ mb write speed. Unfortunately it doesn't look like 29.97 FullHD is possible with this card.

Someone claimed a successful 30fps on 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro. Would anyone try 29.97fps please?