RAW video higher bitrates, with external recorders...

Started by sdesign, August 09, 2014, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdesign

I am currently shooting with the Canon 5D Mark III, on the latest nightly build, modded working with full-res silent pics. 

I've used many external recorders in the past and have always been curious if we can get higher bit rates of the external recorder and have magic lantern raw video match, or come close to those bit rates, needed for certain resolutions.

Why are there options, for bit rates, of cards, that don't exist and don't seem like they will (CFast takes off at 1100x then XQD pushing .5gbps and so on...)

Getting back to my point, theres no CF will give me the 189MB/s, that ML is telling me that I need, to shoot in 5x mode@ 3584x1320@ 24 fps.

How do we make this happen!?!?

Levas

You can shoot clips of 2 seconds in length of 3584x1320@24 fps, Sooo... be creative and make something out of 2 second shots.
18fps was enough for most people in the super 8 film days, this would give you 4 seconds...
Plenty of options  8)

sdesign

thats not even what i was asking..

talking ML communicating with the higher bit rates of an external recorders medium.

Levas

You're right, it's not the answer to your main question.
But I did answer one of you're subquestions  8)

Quote from: sdesign on August 09, 2014, 05:13:57 PM
Why are there options, for bit rates, of cards, that don't exist and don't seem like they will (CFast takes off at 1100x then XQD pushing .5gbps and so on...)

Not everybody needs continuous recording, some people are happy to get a few seconds of awesome(almost 4K!!!)footage.
I'd rather have the option too have a few seconds of high res video, then no option of high res video at all...

Remember the high speed (high FPS) digital camera's from about 5 years ago, most off them had recording times of less than 10 real seconds...
And they where used a lot.

sdesign

once again, im grateful, fortunate, all of that stuff, even more iff i can get ML to communicate with my ninja star and cfast cards