Best Linux distro for compiling ML ?

Started by vertigopix, August 06, 2014, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigopix

I have a small machine that I want to reserve for compiling ML.
So, what do you think, what is the best distro for compiling / hacking ML "easily" ?

josepvm

I use Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 for my everyday work, and I can build ML or find stubs with "disassemble.pl" in the same install, no problem.

If your machine is a little old, or it doesn't have much memory, you can use Xubuntu, it works very well with low RAM machines and is very easy to use. I have Xubuntu 14.04 on my old laptop and it builds ML as well with no problems.

Use prepare.ubuntu.sh to install all the required packages. And then install the ARM toolchain from https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded

There is also a ppa for the ARM toolchain, for installing it system wide. But then the compiler is installed in /usr, /usr/bin, etc,  and you will need to change more things in "makefile.user" file before bulding ML. It is possible, but it is easier to install the prebuilt tarball file from the link above, in your home directory, this is the way the paths are defined in ML "makefile.user.default"

If you use a 64 bit version of Ubuntu, be aware of this issue:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.msg112954#msg112954

You need to reinstall libc6-i386, as pointed in that post.

And If you plan to install ARM-console don't use Ubuntu 14.04, it will not work, because ARM-console needs some python packages in older versions than those present in recent Ubuntu editions, and you will get conflicts.

I have succesfully installed ARM-Console in Xubuntu 12.04.4. It is a long term support edition, so it still gets regular updates.

chmee

@josepvm
possible to compile and work under VM Virtual Box? got a debian squeeze runnin..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

vertigopix

Thank you josepvm, great informations !

I'm going on vacations, i will check this when i'm back.

josepvm

Quote from: chmee on August 07, 2014, 01:42:20 AM
@josepvm
possible to compile and work under VM Virtual Box? got a debian squeeze runnin..

Yes, It's possible and works very well.

The Xubuntu 12.04.4 install I use to run Arm-console is a Virtualbox virtual machine.

The only issue I've observed in some Ubuntu installations with Virtualbox (it was during Ubuntu Trusty beta phase) is a bad screen detection that gives you a very low max. screen resolution, 640x480. If you see this problem, install Virtualbox "gest-on-additions" and then you will be able to setup any screen resolution you want.

vertigopix

@josepvm,
Working perfectly !  :)
Thank you.

IBIRRU

I'm using a VirtualBox  Linux Mint 17.1 32 bit Mate desktop (based on Ubuntu 14.04) machine

After running the prepare.ubuntu.sh script it works very fine for compiling full-silent-pics branch for my old 500D :D
EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D