Save JPEG Files back to camera

Started by PharaoRamsesIIV, August 05, 2014, 11:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PharaoRamsesIIV

Hello Magic Lantern Forum,

I am new here, so I don't know wether I am in the right sub- forum or not.
I hope, I am right :D

I have a question.

I wanted to re-shoot some pictures of landscape that were taken years ago.
(Not with my current camera. That's what makes it 'worse')
My idea was to set them as ghost images in liveview, so I can choose the right place to make them as similar as possible.

The problem now is, that I am not able to save them in the right format.
So I end up getting a message from my Canon Eos 500D "Not able to display image".

Does anybody know how I could process these images in order to display them?
Or..has an idea how to do this kinds of shots?

I hope my text is understandable, as I am not the best in English :P

Greets,
RamsesIIV

barepixels

you mean you want to copy someone else photo and make it seem to be shot from your camera?

even if you do not mean to be that way, this can lead to legal problems NO?
5D2 + nightly ML

brapodam

Quote from: barepixels on August 05, 2014, 11:40:31 PM
you mean you want to copy someone else photo and make it seem to be shot from your camera?

even if you do not mean to be that way, this can lead to legal problems NO?
I think the TS just wants to copy the composition. I don't think the intention is to "change the EXIF info" to make it seem as if he/she shot the image. It can be a good way to learn about composition, if you really want to do it that way.

dmilligan

You could just take a picture of the picture.

jimmyD30

@RamsesIIV

What is the current format of the image you are trying to view in camera? JPEG, PNG, TIFF...?

Canon cameras output RAW (CR2) and JPEG image files, so if not currently JPEG, then try converting it to JPEG then load onto card and try to view. If that doesn't work, take the old image (and convert to JPEG if not already) and modify EXIF data to match that of a JPEG taken with your Canon camera.

Best I can think of.

PharaoRamsesIIV

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best :D

I haven't even thought of that one.
As I only need the proportions and no sharp details etc. just fotographing is fine.

A big thanks to dmilligan.

@jimmyD30
Thanks for your thoughts, but I tried that and it wouldn't work.

dpjpandone

I can tell you exactly how to do this, as it's the technique I use to generate smpte color bars to calibrate an external monitor from my 7D:

set your cam to jpeg and take a picture. Open this picture in photoshop and paste the "old" image on top of it and then save (don't change any settings, just hit ok)  now you have your old pictures saved in the exact resolution/format that the camera produces natively, so you can view it on the camera and use the ghosting/overlay feature!