5D3 Error 70/CF Card Test

Started by goldmond, August 04, 2014, 03:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldmond

I installed the latest build yesterday and it worked fine for a while. This morning I got Error 70 and a live view screen frozen with "CF Card Test" couldn't get past it. Took the software off the CF card along with a test.dat file but was not able to boot from it. I was able to successfully boot to another card, but I want to make sure it doesn't brick again. Where do I go from here? Is it safe to reset the camera to factory settings or update the firmware?

Walter Schulz

If you remove AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory from the card you are the very cause the cam got stuck. Read FAQ. Format card using a cardreader.

goldmond

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. I removed those AFTER I got the Error 70 and "CF card test"

Walter Schulz

If you remove AUTOEXEC.BIN/ML dir from a bootable card the cam will get stuck. That error is caused by you.
You "want to make sure it doesn't brick again". The only way to do this is to remove ML from the card. Easiest way to wipe ML from the card is to format it using a card reader.

goldmond

Read my post again Walter. The Camera Froze after installing a nightly build yesterday and rebooting. That was the problem.

Taking the files off the CF card was one of many tests I did but it did not cause the camera to freeze that had happened already. And no the camera wouldn't turn on if it didn't have a card. So tested taking all the ML software off. This is what you seem concerned about but this was not the problem.

I have since formatted the card, and it seems to be working but since the last thing I did was install the ML firmware I don't actually know if it's on there. (it says I've got 1.2.3) so I'm guessing that it was never installed and it was a problem with the card but that doesn't explain why it wouldn't turn on without a card.

That was my concern, and before I started changing things get some more info.

goldmond

I'm sure it's fine thanks for your help Walter.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: goldmond on August 04, 2014, 04:04:55 PM
And no the camera wouldn't turn on if it didn't have a card.

Sure? Retest this one, please.

jimmyD30

Was the CF card with the new nightly build bootable?

Either way, is there any specific compelling reason you are not using the SD card to boot with ML?

Unless you're using an eyeFi card or something, then I would suggest doing it this way, it's been a very stable approach for many 5D3 users.

goldmond

Retested and it's turning on without a card. No reason I didn't use an SD card, I used the CF card because that's what I had. Feeling a bit gun shy on trying this again but thanks.

jimmyD30

Can understand that.

If you are going to use ML again, I would suggest getting any old SD card and running ML from that. So much easier just to use freshly formatted CF card (no boot flag or ML) for your shoots without worrying about updating every CF card you get with boot flag and ML. Also, should do in-camera format on CF card before important shoots to help ensure good images, when ML is on CF card, you tend not to format it as often.