Need help - If you had the money, would you...

Started by actingnurse, August 03, 2014, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

actingnurse

Ok everyone... I'm coming into a good chunk of cash in the next few months. So I'm faced with a dilemma... by next summer I'll be sitting on roughly 20k. I currently own a 5DM3 which I use ML on for that uber sexy RAW footage. Here's the dilemma.
If you had this money would you:
A) Invest in a RED Scarlet-X setup with Canon adapter and have extra cash for hard drives, batteries, etc.
B) Invest in a RED Scarlet Dragon with Canon adapter and have no cash for spare hard drives, batteries, etc. You'd pick these up as you can or rent them if needed.
C) Stay away from RED, Buy Canon Lenses and the Atomos Shogun (I get .edu discount so it's only $1,400).

I could rent the RED out and recover most if not all of my cost. I would insure it and accompany it to every set that it goes to. I'm not in LA so the market isn't flooded with REDs. With the Canon - not much way to make money back from it.

Thoughts?

jimmyD30

Get the RED Scarlet and rent it out then use the money to get more Canon lenses which will fit both the RED and 5D3 then you'll have everything and still be able to rent the RED ;)

But also, what do you need any of these killer raw recording machines for, besides rental?

actingnurse

I make a short film yearly and eventually hope to move towards a feature, once I can get a budget that would support missing work. I want to have the hollywood standard (that being why I'm wanting to get the RED). Once I get the RED I'll hopefully be able to add in Canon Cine Primes - with taxes and bonus checks. I'll graduate as a nurse practitioner in two years - killer paycheck will equal killer toys :) I would like to use them on my own projects and recover expenses through rental - again, me being on set will be a rental requirement.

reddeercity

Save your self a lot of trouble and just rent the "Red" when needed , and invest in Good Cine Glass and Or get another 5D3 body.
If it was me I would have at lest 2 camera body's and 3 fast Primes & 2 Zoom lens plus add-on tools.

actingnurse

I'm keeping the 5DM3 and my wife has a 6D which is at my disposal as well - so I have two solid DSLR backups. It's just after seeing the same cinematographer who shot my short this year shoot another short on the Red with Zeiss glass... there was no comparison. That's why I'm wanting one...  Here's what I have so far...

Canon 5DM3
Canon 6D
Canon - 24-70mm f/2.8 L (I)
Canon 50mm f/1.4

Will be adding the Atomos Shogun for 10bit CDNG backups and realtime playback on set.