RAW video stops recording after a few seconds

Started by jad, July 31, 2014, 02:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jad

I am fairly new to Magic lantern but am having the same problem on my 5D3 and 5D2.  When I record RAW video I get a message after a few seconds 'early stop, didn't make it to record time'
I have left the recording settings at there defaults. It still seems to record and I can export and open the dng files using Magic Lantern RAW 1.2.0. It's just that the RAW video file seems to max out at around 350 mb. 

For the 5D3 I am using a Sandisc Extreme Pro 280 MB/s SD XC

Midphase

My guess is that your card is not fast enough...you probably need to set up recording on a CF card rather than the SD card.

You say you're getting the same problem on the 5D2? What CF card are you using?

Walter Schulz

SD card interface inside 5D3 is limited to about 21 (twenty-one) MByte/s.

jad

It's a bit disappointing to hear the max SD sped is 21 Mbyte/s Any links to info about this?

I have the 5D3 working with RAW video now using a CF card - SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s.  Records about 1min 15 sec before the shutter flips up - the resulting file is corrupt and can't be processed. If I stop the recording before this happens the file works fine and exports to dng as expected. Is there a setting to stop the camera from flipping out of movie mode and cancelling the recording?

But the same card still won't work on the 5D2 for longer than about 10 seconds.

picture from 5D 2 after 10 seconds recording:

jimmyD30

Quote from: jad on August 01, 2014, 12:54:58 AM
It's a bit disappointing to hear the max SD sped is 21 Mbyte/s Any links to info about this?

-> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

What resolution and frame rate are you trying to record for each camera?

Midphase

Quote from: jad on August 01, 2014, 12:54:58 AM
I have the 5D3 working with RAW video now using a CF card - SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s. 

Just so you know...the advertised speed rate typically refers to the read speed and not the write. You should always run benchmarks on your CF card to determine exactly what you're working with.

ghostlayer

I have the same problem, I have been using Magic Lantern for months (even shooting a Music Video...)
and now after having been shooting a whole evening without any trouble, the camera suddenly won't record more than 30 to 75 continuous frames before stopping
it displays " the recording automatically stopped..."

I have been using the same settings and gears :
5D Mark 3 + Komputer Bay 64 Go UDMA 7 - 1000x
Shooting 1920*1080px at 24 fps
I tried to switch the framerate overide on and off as well as global overlays without any changes.
I have formated the CF card too.
The "Prefered Card" is set to CF (and not SD)

Can the CF Card be damaged or less efficient than it was ?
If anyones as a clue that would be very valuable as I just can't use Magic Lantern anymore.
Best

Walter Schulz

Yes, flash memory degrades over time.
If you have a decent cardreader (USB 3.0) you may want to run some benchmark program. ATTO or CrystalDiskMark may give some hints.

ghostlayer

Thank you for the answer/advice I will do so (ML can even benchmark the CF I think)
I am a mac user and it seems both of the benchmark programs you mention are running on windows only.

ghostlayer

Here's what ML Benchmark says :
According to EOSHD guide that should be good bitrate results

image a telecharger gratuitement

jimmyD30

jimmyD30

@ghostlayer

Thank you!

My fault for not catching this sooner, when doing card speed test you need to be in MOVIE mode, PLAYBACK mode doesn't give valid benchmark test results for using ML raw recording, movie mode does ;)

Secondly, the other factors in benchmarking write speeds for comparing card speeds (and in actual raw record speeds) is the frame rate setting in the Canon menu, 24/25/30 and if Global Draw is on/off. These settings make a real difference in actual raw recording performance and are reflected in the benchmark results.

So, not saying this to 'guilt' you into posting more/valid test results, just letting you know :)

ghostlayer

no hurt feelings on the contrary, your advice is extremely relevant :)
I'm performing a new benchmark and will post it in a few minutes.

ghostlayer

@jimmyD30

the specs are not so good now (I remember having 150 MB/s at 16384K Buffer by the past
by the way, I have struggled getting the benchmark .bmp on the CF card and it won't... so I did a smartphone capture.
my card might have degraded...

jimmyD30

Yeah, I've resorted to taking phone captures too, just easier ;)

So, at least you have some valid benchmarks to work with, be aware though it'll be a little slower with Global Draw on even of it's just for drawing crop marks. We benchmark with Global Draw off as a 'standard' to make it easier for comparison.