UHS-I / SD cards investigation

Started by nikfreak, July 30, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

IDA_ML

Hi and thank you all working hard on the new overclocking feature on our cameras.

I am writing to ask for some help in getting the 5D3 working here.  Eager to test this exciting new overclocking development, I borrowed the 5D3 and tried to get it to work with Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (64 MB/160 MB/s for the CF card and 64 MB/95MB/s for the SD card).  I did the following:

1) Formatted both cards with NTFS on the PC using a card reader.  I tried also formatting the cards in ExFAT.  These are the two formatting options that I have on my Win7x64 OS.

2) Formatted both cards in the camera

3) Performed a fresh install of the latest July 14-th build by Danne

4) With only the SD-card in camera, I activated SD-overclocking and restarted the camera.  Patch was successful - that's what the message on the screen says.

5) In the video mode, without touching anything else, I start recording with the default settings as set in the build after fresh install.  Camera stops recording immediately and nothing gets recorded on the SD card.  I get the same behavior also with both cards in the camera.

6) I tried in-camera format after running the SD-overclocking patch.  I get the "Card full" message and the SD card becomes unaccessible.  It needs to be reformatted in the PC to continue working again.  I get this behavior with both: the NTFS and ExFat format options.

I should also mention that, without SD-overclocking, everything works fine, even Card spanning.  If I do not overexpose, with the 3k 1:1 mode, I get continuous recording at 3072x1728/24 fps/10 bits lossless when I activate Card spanning with both cards in the camera.  In this case, camera writes nicely on both cards at an overall speed of 114 MB/s and footage opens in MLVApp without problems.  No corrupt frames either.  This makes me think that the overclocking patch seems to be the trouble maker.

I know, some of you got it working.  If you could give me some advice on what am I doing wrong and what else could I try to get the 5D3 working, (step by step instructions if possible), I should greatly appreciate that.

Thank you in advance.

Danne

Ntfs? Either fat32 or possibly exfat. Also low level format in camera. If it's a sandisk extreme pro card it should work. If not working maybe defective or weak card. Some reports of 95mb not working stable but 170Mb/s seems to work.
Also. Why are you formatting card in camera after sd patching? Seems dangerous to me. Instead format and then reinstall magic lantern from scratch. Before applying the sd patch?

IDA_ML

Just tried that again, this time with the July 15-th build.  I first ExFat formatted the SD-card in the PC, then, without ML installed, performed a low-level format on it in the camera.  Then I copied the files from the build onto the card in the PC.  Then I installed ML and ran the sd-patch in the photo mode.  Then I ran the benchmark test in the photo mode and got some very strange numbers for read and write speeds - 5005,3 MB/s and similar.  Then I switched to video mode, activated RAW video and without touching anything else, started recording. I got immediately the "Card full" message and then card was unaccessible.  Right now, I am formatting it again in the PC using the ExFat file system with the Quick option UNchecked.

My SD card seems to be OK.  It is a genuine SanDisk indicating 90 and 95MB/s write and read speeds, respectively, when running the ATO benchmark test. 

Thank God, it's working again, without overclocking, of course.  I am stopping the overclocking experiments for now.  It indeed seems too dangerous, to me too.

Danne

I will need a screen recording of both your card and full workflow. I have no reports describing your issues with extreme pro cards: I suspect user error or fake card. Sorry, but text descriptions will not help in this case.

IDA_ML

I don't have another card to try but the procedure I described in my post #628 is perfectly reproducible with the one that I have.  I tried it at least 5 times with both - the July 14 and 15 builds.  Sorry, I cannot provide screen recordings at the moment.

Danne

Well. Whenever you can. In this case needed to exclude user error. Meanwhile others might wanna report how overclocking works with their cards. Especially problematic patching.

Walter Schulz

Depending on card size cam format will apply FAT32 or ExFAT . You have to check which filesystem is actually in use. If you want to use ExFAT with smaller cards you have to avoid formatting cards in cam.
a1ex coded forced ExFAT formatting but it is not included in any build.

LeandroFreitas

Walter Schulz

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 128 GB.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 16, 2020, 12:39:53 PM
SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 128 GB.

Does the speed drop to 21 MB/s when doing some RAW recording e.g 1736x976 @ 23.976 14-bit uncompressed ?

Could you make a test with above settings (and other settings require 67 MB/s at lest) by filling the card up to 32 GB or more?

I am wondering if Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s with higher capacity than 32 GB could handle the 240 MHz overcock or not.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 16, 2020, 03:02:43 PM
Does the speed drop to 21 MB/s when doing some RAW recording e.g 1736x976 @ 23.976 14-bit uncompressed ?

It drops. Benchmark in video mode: ~21 MByte/s.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 16, 2020, 03:02:43 PM
Could you make a test with above settings (and other settings require 67 MB/s at lest) by filling the card up to 32 GB or more?

Used another card and recorded 9 and 10 minutes at around 67.9 MByte/s. Files 36.4 GB and 39.8 GB.

Danne

Interesting. What card exactly?

Walter Schulz

SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC
V30 U3 A2. Red-gold Label.

Danne

Micro sd. Nice. Have one for my drone. Will give that one a try tomorrow.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 18, 2020, 10:57:04 AM
Used another card and recorded 9 and 10 minutes at around 67.9 MByte/s. Files 36.4 GB and 39.8 GB.

Good results, and does the speed drop to 21 MB/s after recording some clips in different mods?

Walter Schulz

Having troubles to get reproducable results. More test runs needed.

70MM13

check out this guy's CF thermal throttling information.  i wonder if it also applies to SD cards.

could it be the reason for the slowdowns?

https://alikgriffin.com/canon-r5-overheating-with-cfexpress-card-are-the-cards-to-blame/

Dmitriy84759

Advice me please. I'm about SD overclocking and card spanning.  I have 5dm3 with Sandisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 256Gb (160/140 Mb/s) CF card.
Should I buy the fastest SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I U3 V30 (170/90 MB/s) SD card or it enough just SanDisk Extreme SDXC Class 10 UHS-I U3 V30 (150/70 MB/s) to have best perfomance with overclocking and card spanning with CF card?
Should I buy same size of SD card (256Gb) as my main CF card or it will enough 128Gb or less?

ilguercio

Hi guys, haven't been around for a long time.
I am a bit confused at to what the latest stable build with SD card overclock is at the moment.
The one i downloaded is missing this module.
Is there any build that contains the lot and is the most updated?
Cheers :)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Levas

Not sure for which camera you need it ?
For 6d you can find the latest complete build with sd_uhs module in this post:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg229094#msg229094

ilguercio

Quote from: Levas on September 16, 2020, 10:26:46 AM
Not sure for which camera you need it ?
For 6d you can find the latest complete build with sd_uhs module in this post:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg229094#msg229094
Cheers, it's for a 6D indeed. Looks like i got to catch up with the latest developments :)
Thank you.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

tmilardo

I'm able to bench ~91MB/s write on my EOS M at 240MHz once in a while. Just for the first pass of the Quick R/W benchmark. Sandisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 256GB microSD. I can normally do about 78MB/s on 192MHz. Is there any sort of log or something I can share to help development? Would love to have access to higher bitrates.

tmilardo

First, my 192MHz benchmarks:

Play mode

Photo mode

Movie mode

My 240MHz benchmarks:

Play mode

Photo mode

Movie mode

Movie mode won't print a benchx.ppm. There is a memory error in the debug menu:

This is what I see when entering said menu:

From here the device is frozen. I have to physically remove the battery to power off.

All live view benchmarks are done with the camera looking at an overexposed scene. Note that I can't even match my 240MHz speeds on my SD card reader.

The second write pass of the 240MHz movie benchmark goes at full speed until around 80/100, at which it goes down to a speed similar to the ~20MB/s passes. This behaviour (reproducible) is interesting, as other modes never seem to change speeds during a pass, and never sustain the 240MHz speed past the first pass.

Merged your posts. The direct image links appear to be broken, but the link to the folder works and shows all of the images. //Audionut
Found the edit button. Fixed. //tmilardo