UHS-I / SD cards investigation

Started by nikfreak, July 30, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

240MHz now stable on 700D using Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB 170MB/s , on  Sandisk Extreme PRO 32GB 95MB/s It's not !
Based on sd_uhs from Danne, here is it but only for 700D, source

Write Speed in video mode ~68 MB/s , No speed drops, I have managed to fill 64GB of MLVs in all mods, no problems

1736x976 14-bit uncompressed @ 23.976 fps is now possible on 700D, what a dream came true :)

First-14-bit-Uncompressed-on-700-D-MLVApp" border="0

First-14-bit-Uncompressed-on-700-D" border="0

Benchmarks:
Constant-240-MHz" border="0

It's Constant!

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM
What else could you wish for?

:)

I will make more tests . . to reassure my heart.

reddeercity

theBilalFakhouri

How Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 170MB/s became usable @ 240 MHz ? (at least for me on 700D, all benchmark I am talking about made in PLAY Mode)

In the first benchmark I was getting serious write speed drops in 240 MHz (last preset),
The benchmarks were 58 MB/s write speed then 72 MB/s write speed

In other tests it were 80 MB/s write speed then 70 write speed MB/s

But accidentally I formatted the card in "Low level format" in the camera and the overclock was ON @ 240 MHz, after the restart for restoring ML files, I made another restart (sd_uhs hack turns on during startup), I made new benchmark and I got:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 04, 2020, 04:12:51 AM
Constant-240-MHz" border="0

Wow this is cool !

So I managed to have another Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 170MB/s , again I made a benchmark before "Low level format" in the camera, I had serious write speed drops again, however after doing the steps above it becomes 90 MB/s constant write speed, and it seems 170MB/s Sandisk cards handles 240 MHz pretty well.

Danne

Tried low level format but still no 240Mhz for the eosm  :P.
Added back bench.mo into my eosm build.

theBilalFakhouri

Low level format help to prevent speeds drop, not for making 240 MHz work :P

Danne

Too bad it isnĀ“t ;).
By the way. This is needed for the 5DIII but not for eom. Go figure.   
/* power-cycle and reconfigure the SD card */
    SD_ReConfiguration();

masc

Quote from: Danne on July 04, 2020, 12:25:31 AM
New build up according to BilalFakhouri suggestion. Maybe works better @masc?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Jul04.EOSM202.zip
Oh, thanks. This seems to work better! In 192MHz I see a speed drop between 55/100 and 65/100, all other numbers are shown a shorter time. That's the result for 192MHz:

And that's the result for 160MHz:

These numbers again for EOSM and SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Speed drop?
So 95Mb/s cards is working now? Did yoy need any low level formatting in cam?

masc

Quote from: Danne on July 04, 2020, 11:16:52 AM
Speed drop?
So 95Mb/s cards is working now? Did yoy need any low level formatting in cam?
After starting the benchmark you see the numbers "running" from 1 to 100. This speed for changing the numbers is always the same. Only between 55 and 65 it is way slower.

Yes, can confirm 95MB/s card works now at 192MHz. I did not format in cam. I just installed the new build. Should I format in cam? How is low level format in cam done? With standard Canon formating feature?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Wicked! Now we're talking! Found the low level format. "Formatierung in niedriger Stufe" in german... WTF?!
Speed drop is gone. Here the new numbers for 192MHz:
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

i saw the new 5d3 build and grabbed it to try the nice new menu options.  looks great!

i ran the bench and saw the dreaded speed drop during the second run.  looks like it drops right down to 20 about halfway through.  the result was 95 for the first and about 60 for the second.

next i tried the low level format trick, but there was no restoration of magic lantern.  so while it was still alive i ran the benchmark again, and it was perfect this time.

so before i do anything else i thought i would ask for advice!

Danne

I removed restoring ml when formatting for now. Will damage your card with sd hack enabled. Until I know how to fix it you need to reinstall if you want to do low level format.

Tullen

Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 95MB/s (Card Nr 1)

Low level format in camera (Menu button -> First tool icon -> Format card -> tick in low level format and press OK)

A few tests runs of the benchmark as well as taking a picture, so card was not totally empty when I run the below benchmarks.

Modules tab -> Bench.mo ON -> Restart -> Debug tab -> sd overclock -> 160MHz -> Restart -> Debug tab ->  Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) -> press play

160MHz
Play-160mhz" border="0

Debug tab -> sd overclock -> 192MHz -> Restart -> Debug tab ->  Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) -> press play

192MHz
Play-192mhz" border="0

240MHz gave around 20 MB/s and Global Draw Off made no difference.

theBilalFakhouri

I am curios what is the default preset for 6D and EOS M from Canon without overclocking, I want to take a look especially for these registers:

0xC0400624
0xC0400628
0xC040061C
0xC0400614

so Levas, Danne if you could capture some logs, here is io_trace_full build for 6D and for EOS M it didn't compile correctly maybe some missing stubs or something, I remember this problem reported before by @dfort , maybe there is a working build which used by dfort to capture some logs in the past for EOS M, try to find one

How to capture a LOG ?
From Debug menu you will find DebugMsgs something like that, press it, now it will starts logging, take a picture and press DebugMsgs again to stop it, it's printing the LOG now, you will find it on SD card root, that's it

Quote from: Danne on July 04, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
I removed restoring ml when formatting for now. Will damage your card with sd hack enabled. Until I know how to fix it you need to reinstall if you want to do low level format.

Why it will damage the card? isn't it the same when you record RAW video, simple read/write speed action, I did a lot of low level format for about a year with sd_uhs enabled all time, maybe because of after restarting it does write/read while is sd_uhs is being enabled ?

70MM13

i reinstalled manually after the low level format at 240mhz, and everything went smoothly.

did 5 benchmark tests in a row, with no speed drops.  76 MB/S in video mode with global draw off.

excellent!

you guys are miracle workers!

i'll test card spanning now.  it looks like this will open new possibilities for my next music video!  thanks so much!

Danne

Great.
Will check trace stuff when I can. Tomorrow maybe.
5D3 differs in patch behaviour. I do my best to work around the issues. Formatting restoring seriously messes things up. Probably simply need to wait after all has been restored but with my c skill levels it's gonna take a week tinkering  :P.

70MM13

it's still a very beautiful thing!

theBilalFakhouri

@70MM13

Nice, what is your card?

if it switched to 48 MHz at some point from 240 MHz, please feedback, also if you could provide a log from 70D that's will be helpful, here is a io_trace_full build for 70D,

How to capture the log:
Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 04, 2020, 01:04:00 PM
From Debug menu you will find DebugMsgs something like that, press it, now it will starts logging, take a picture and press DebugMsgs again to stop it, it's printing the LOG now, you will find it on SD card root, that's it

Quote from: Danne on July 04, 2020, 01:11:55 PM
5D3 differs in patch behaviour. I do my best to work around the issues. Formatting restoring seriously messes things up. Probably simply need to wait after all has been restored but with my c skill levels it's gonna take a week tinkering  :P.

Aha, 5D3 is different in many things :P

70MM13

bilal, i'm using a sandisk extreme pro 170mb/s on my 5d3.

the card spanning video tests are complete, with beautiful results!

3616*1536 @ 24fps 14 bits lossless, extremely overexposed scene: continuous recording with a green icon!

seriously, guys...  this is so amazing!

several recordings made, all perfect with no speed drops.

this will open some new possibilities for my next music video!  thanks so much!

Bender@arsch

@70MM13

How you set this resolution(can't set between 3840 and 3520), is this a custom mode? I don't understand how it works (no programmer, bad English).
How fast is writespeed? Is this with life view, or other special settings?

In my tests with 5D3 I see no difference between the old module.
Old Module:
3840x1440 x 10bit, at 23,976fps continuous with liveview > up to~125MB/s
3840x 1536 x 10bit, 23,976fps continuous without liveview > up to~129MB/s
--> maximum settings, on bright conditions, continuous.

New modules:
No difference at 192Mhz and 240mhz.

I have low level format SD card and I have a 170mb/s card.

Jip-Hop

Awesome stuff! Did some benchmarks with my 95 MB/s card, but it works best with 192mhz. So 192mhz is not only for the 170MB/s cards.

SanDisk 256gb 95 MB/s Low Level Format @ 160mhz - Test 1

SanDisk 256gb 95 MB/s Low Level Format @ 160mhz - Test 2

SanDisk 256gb 95 MB/s Low Level Format @ 192mhz

SanDisk 256gb 95 MB/s Low Level Format @ 240mhz

SanDisk 256gb 95 MB/s Low Level Format @ Overclock Off

I've got a 64GB 170MB/s card too. Will report benchmarks from that one later.

70MM13

@ bender,

i'm using uhd mode, and selecting the closest resolution by menu item and then use the scrollwheel to step up/down to the right resolution.  2.35:1

the maximum speed using card spanning will NOT increase, but the difference is more stable/longer duration recording because the SD card is as fast as the CF.

i am wishing we will find out what is stopping the camera from recording at faster than 131MB/S.  i already suggested maybe a simpler spanning option that does even distribution between the two cards, and i am also wondering if we can disable some functionality to free up clock cycles?  maybe an "ultra lite" recording module?

but i am NOT complaining!!  this is incredible already!!

just some ideas to maybe one day make it even better :)

tim inspired me to try some of my slower cards with this new low level formatting trick...  i'll report if there are any successes :)

Levas

Coming back from work, missed a lot here I see.

@Danne, great job on the menu item in the module!
One sd-uhs module, to rule them all  8)

EDIT: @Danne, looking at the source now, why did you delete all other cams ? Only cam in the source is EOS-M ?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop/commits/aa513d18485cc6d20d4d19771b902c880c38a8fd#chg-modules/sd_uhs/sd_uhs.c
Am I missing something here  ???

Bender@arsch

@70MM13
thx, so easy...

OK, but I can't rec. This res. With 14bit lossless continues. Writespeed preview say me up to 180MB/s needed (before rec.).
Maybe you have a better condition (->better compression) with lossless.

I tested some benchmarks with 5d3:

192mhz photo mod
Write 80mb/s
Read 5000... Something

240mhz photo mod
Write 96mb/s
Read 5000... Something

240mhz video mod ~63mb/s and malloc error

Benchmark with both cards photo mod:
CF 80mb/s
Sd 76mb/s

= 156mb/s

70MM13

the 131 MB/S i am referring to is actual recording speed in video mode.

make sure you have global draw OFF during recording.  this increases video recording rate.

benchmarks in video mode seem to require raw recording OFF.  best to "bench" by just recording some video!

make sure it is overexposed!