UHS-I / SD cards investigation

Started by nikfreak, July 30, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slurpies

Could anybody tell me how to get this SD_UHS module for the 6d?  I've downloaded the LUA experimental build and the 4k Experimental build, along with the newest nightly build, and I can't find the module in the camera sections, the zip files, or anywhere online. 

Thanks.

dfort

It is very experimental and could possibly damage your card so there are no official builds. You need to compile it from the sd_uhs branch or ask someone to compile it for you.

Levas

@Slurpies
Here's one of the earlier full builds, compiled for 6d.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N1MnP276bHw24dG6MTu8oIaGWb0Vogg1

Never experienced any troubles with it, but to be sure nothing bad happens, it's best to not press any buttons or ML menu stuff etc, while this module is setting up (as long as the red led is blinking ;) ).

It works as follows.
The module must be put in the Magic lantern module folder on your SD card.
Now when starting your camera up, you can activate this module in the module tab.
After a new camera startup the module is loaded, but not activated by default.
Activation is done in the Debug tab from the ML menu, there is a new option there called SD Overclock, highlight this option and press the set button.
If all is right, you see text appearing on the screen doing some writing and reading tests on your card, you'll see the red led blinking, as long as the blinking goes on, it's best to do nothing and just wait.
At the end, it shows the best setting and has set this setting, you can close console(those box with text) in the debug menu with option show console, turn it on and off.
As long as you don't turn off the camera, the SD overclock settings are set.
Once you turn off the camera, SD overclock setting is gone, you have to run this module every time you want to use it.

If the last setting the module tests during setup, is the fastest for your card, I have another altered version of SD-UHS module, which is a little quicker and user friendly, it just setups the SD interface to highest setting.

slurpies

Sorry for the delay, I didn't have my notifications turned on. 
Thank you a great deal for the information, I didn't realize this had to be run each time the camera was booted.
Still possibly worth it.  I've a UHS-3 Card and I'm getting 30 second shots at great resolution now in 14-bit lossless raw.
Love what you guys are doing.
Thanks again.

Aperture Science

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 13, 2018, 06:08:57 PM
I fully agree with you, Alpicat.  A resolution ot 2520x1386 would be a dream come true for the 100D which has the same senzor size and resolution as the 700D.  I have been using the 7D at 2520x1200 resolution a lot lately and believe it or not, the 120 pixel larger vertical resolution of this camera, compared to the 100D, makes a huge difference in the overall vision of the video.  A 16:9 vision at 2520x1386 would be so much better ... But I am dreaming again.

I have a question for you.  You mentioned the speed booster for increased view angle with EF-S lenses on APSC-sensor based mirrorless.  Would it be possible to use such speed boosters for the same purpose but with 1,6x crop sensor DSLRs operating in the LifeView (video recording) mode, with full-frame lenses, of course?  If not, why not?  And if yes, are such speed boosters available?  Sorry for the stupid question but I have never used and even seen a speed booster sofar.

For a DSLR, it is not possible to make a "speed booster" because of the "flange distance". Flange Distance is the Distance between the cmos surface and the lens. Because of the mirror less camera have less Flange distance (Because there is no mirror on the way). When putting a DSLR lens on it, there is a long distance in the mid of the cmos and the lens, speed booster is basically adding a convex lens in between to "zoom out" the image field into a approximately APS_C image field. For DSLR, there is no space between the mirror and cmos (Because there is a mirror for viewfinder, you can't put anything in that space or you want to break your camera loll). Have fun with mirrorless camera on video shooting will be the best.

theBilalFakhouri

Soo
Hey what's up ?

No I didn't get a higher write speed but as you Know (actually you don't know) I am thinking about where is the bottleneck comes from?

Now as you know Canon 50D has DIGIC 4 CPU and it can perform up to 72-82 MB/S write speed it uses CF Card instead of SD card , and our DIGIC 5 cameras can't reach that only ~55MB/S effective when using sd_uhs from 68MB/S write speed . . Okay so the CPU isn't the bottleneck here there is something else causing this .

By using FPS override to lower frame rates like 12FPS the performance of write speed increases,  but why? It's a DIGIC 5 and DIGIC 4 have more performance ?

Is the buffer size is related somehow to the write speed? I am thinking we can somehow enhance the effective write speed , but we should know where the bottleneck comes from? Maybe by disabling some tasks . . Anyone have any idea?

Maybe there is something technical between CF and SD controllers? We should dig into 80D which has 80MB/s write speed and it uses SD card slot.

koljanych

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on March 08, 2019, 10:29:23 PM
By using FPS override to lower frame rates like 12FPS the performance of write speed increases,  but why?

memory access takes many cycles. the less access to memory, the more cycles for disk operations

DOP

Quote from: dfort on February 16, 2019, 08:21:19 PM
It is very experimental and could possibly damage your card so there are no official builds. You need to compile it from the sd_uhs branch or ask someone to compile it for you.

Specifically for the 6D I am attempting to build this myself using the Compiler.app that Danne mentioned but running into some hurdles.

Compiler.app runs beautifully (thanks Danne!) but when I compile the the sd_uhs branch there is no sd_uhs module in the resulting .zip file. I looked into compiling the sd_uhs module on it's own but I get the following output...

$ pwd
/Users/username/magic-lantern/modules/sd_uhs
$ make Makefile
Using ~/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc (preferred).
make: Nothing to be done for `Makefile'.

Suggestions?

PS I did catch part of the discussion about using some .lua related stuff to load / autoload the sd_ush module and maybe having that stuff baked into newer builds but I assume the module itself still has to be there.
Canon 6d / 70d

Danne

You need to be in the correct branch. Check first post, bottom half since the example points to the branch in question. Continue discussion in that  thread too:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21882.msg199370#msg199370

DOP

Quote from: Danne on April 08, 2019, 06:11:19 AM
You need to be in the correct branch. Check first post, bottom half since the example points to the branch in question. Continue discussion in that  thread too:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21882.msg199370#msg199370

Thanks, followed those instructions. Will continue this in that thread.
Canon 6d / 70d

sheleviy

Quote from: Levas on February 17, 2019, 03:05:45 PM
I have another altered version of SD-UHS module, which is a little quicker and user friendly, it just setups the SD interface to highest setting.

Hi,
can you share a link for this version? Stock version that you compiled before works fine on my 6D, but since it resets not just after restarting the camera, but also after returning from standby mode, I spend a lot of time running the speed tests. My highest speed is usually last or second last setting.

Levas

@sheleviy
Can imagine you're not able to compile, in that case, here's a compiled version of the SD_UHS module:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SJHrA75UXobTzBcsEY3lqbHxhNdoksPb/view?usp=sharing

Just replace this one with the one on your card.
This one, when activated in Magic lantern module tab, loads automatically at camera  startup.

sheleviy

Quote from: Levas on May 31, 2019, 09:47:49 PM
@sheleviy
Can imagine you're not able to compile, in that case, here's a compiled version of the SD_UHS module:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SJHrA75UXobTzBcsEY3lqbHxhNdoksPb/view?usp=sharing

Just replace this one with the one on your card.
This one, when activated in Magic lantern module tab, loads automatically at camera  startup.

Thanks for the link!
I haven't tried compiling anything yet – it does look a little complex. I am new to ML but I am very excited about scripting possibilities, so I guess I'll get there in some time!

Update: tried it, works great! You mentioned it was more user-friendly, but it's kind of perfect since it loads the UHS settings on startup, no action needed from me. Amazing!

Danne

Well gold thing levas is helping out. Nice to hear it's working.

jakeymort

according to the raw calculator I need 54.7mb to record continuously with my desired settings, can this overclock get a 650d from its 40mb up to 55mb+?

OlRivrRat

Danne

Any chance that this SpeedUp Trick can be made to work for 5DM2 CF Cards ?

I Apologize if this has been discussed before ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danne

On a sidenote. Could you test the latest build for 100D I uploaded? I fixed some sd_uhs stuff that seems to work better for 100D.

OlRivrRat

@Danne

I'll give it a shot soon & let You know ~

OlRivrRat

@ Danne

Don't get any 'Formal' notification that sd_uhs is running & Bench'Test are inconsistent >

On 4 seperate BnchTsts Writes are from 42.1 - 60.9 ~

1st BnchTst I ran Showed 1st Write @ 47.8 & 2nd @ 60.9 & never got that high again ~

Danne

What card? Did you test the latest build from my bitbucket download section?

papkee

Hi Danne

Using your latest 650D build .zip, both raw_rec and mlv_rec appear to be broken.

When mlv_rec is loaded on boot, I receive this error:
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'get_us_clock_value'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'raw_force_aspect_ratio_1to1'
    [E] failed to link modules

And raw_rec results in:
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'raw_force_aspect_ratio_1to1'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'get_ms_clock_value'
    [E] failed to link modules

Help would be appreciated.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

Solomon

Hello, can anybody tell me if it's possible to run the module on a 600D?