mlv_sound not working regularly

Started by sebble, July 30, 2014, 09:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebble

Good morning from the other side of the world (depending on where you live ;) ).
Thanks a lot for that great community and all the work all the individuals have done. ML is just mind-blowing.

I got one question though.
I'm having trouble recording internal audio with mlv_sound enabled.
It works in some cases but not in others. Say if I record 8 short clips in a row and look at them on the computer (OSX 1.9.4) only like two or three of those wave files that come with the video really have audio in them. The other wave files are there but they are empty and do not contain any audio.

I convert with MLVMystic and am using the latest built on a 5D3.

Does anyone have the same problems?
Did anyone find a way to fix that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

jimmyD30

Are you using built in mic or external?

sebble

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 30, 2014, 01:28:46 PM
Are you using built in mic or external?

I'm using the built in mic. Is that a common problem?
Does it work better with external mic for whatever reason?

jimmyD30

Well, for quality yes, external mic is much better, but as far as diagnosing your problem it was just info needed to help figure things out.

Maybe the gain was too low for the audio source you were trying to capture. Can you get your hands on external mic and try? Either way, built in mic is really only good for syncing with audio from external mic and recording verbal footage notes.

sebble

yes I know it's not really good audio from the internal mic but before investing in a rode mic I wanted to see if I can figure out the problem with recording audio.

I don't think the gain was too low. The audio file doesn't contain any information. Like if I would import them into a premiere or resolve timeline you always get to see the "waves" of that file. But on some files these waves or completely missing. So there is no information in those files whatsoever.

jimmyD30

Can you open the file in an audio editor and really see what's what? Like Adobe Audition or even some free one like this: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

If you want, post a link to one of the 'empty' wave files and I'll take a look at it.