Which Canon model to get?

Started by tmcdanel, July 09, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcdanel

I have about $2000 left in a video/photography grant. The most exotic applications, nighttime time-lapse or at least an intervalometer and such. So i was planning on buying 2 T5i's. Some of the parameters sound better like the ISO range goes higher. But reading posts on T5i Magic Lantern and it looks it is still a work in progress, so i am concerned.  So two questions:

1.  Considering ML stability on T5i, should i consider T4i's?

2. Is there a more expensive, more advanced Canon DSLR model that i could buy only one, and get many benefits?

If you have thots or suggested pages or threads, i'd appreciate them.
Magic Lantern Nightly 700D114 build 2016-06-13
Canon Rebel T5i (1.1.3) 700D - EFS 18-135mm & 18-55mm & 300mm lenses
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9 Mavericks

reddeercity

I use 5D Mark 2  for Near HD size(1872x938) in MLV v2.0 RAW + Audio and of course I love the crop mode in 2K
it's comparable to any high end Camera . The only 2 camera I would consider for video production are the 5D Mark 2 & 5D Mark 3.
As the life of these camera will be around for 5-8 years of usefulness for paid work. I have seen used 5D2 start at $800.0 to $1,500.0
and buy a nice prime lens like a 50mm, I really like the Sigma f1.4 cheap around $300.0 , even thou I have Canon "L" lens (my favorite is ef 24-70 f2.8L)
I  some times just use my Sigma (Great Image @f2.2) over my more expensive Canon lens.
Yes Memory Card are more expensive ,but once you made your investment it with keep returning  profit over and over again.
You must decide what you are wanting for your gear, and at what level you want to be at.
Don't forget about the workflow, do you need a faster Computer, software etc....

jimmyD30

Ditto @reddeercity

I also have a 5DM2 and absolutely love using it with ML! I also have the T4i and was able to get 720p @ 24fps continuous raw video and found the nightlies to be very stable overall (of course a gremlin sneaks by once in a while, as with any nightly, but they are corrected very quickly). There is also an alpha build for the T4i and that's pretty solid, but I don't know if it has all the 'latest'.

As far as being a 'work in progress', I'm not familiar with the T5i development cycle, but some builds are more considered 'rolling release' type these days, so don't expect a 'milestone' date where a 'stable' release will be delivered, that's how I understand it anyhow :)

Also let me say, if it's a choice between the T5i and T4i and you can save some dinero with the 4's, go for it, because the cameras are literally the same, see here: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon-Rebel-T5i

Now I see you mentioned 2 cameras, if that's absolutely necessary, then consider the cost of the 5DM2 (5DM3 will be out of your $ range), because with your budget you may only be able to afford one :(

P.S. Although you will find ML support for all compatible cameras, the 5DM2 support is absolutely fantastic here!