Unable to open Pics with gimp

Started by helmut600D, February 02, 2014, 01:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmut600D

Hi together,
I've a problem ;)
At first big compliments to ML! I started using it yesterday and it's very amazing!
My system:
Cam:
Canon EOS 600D (1.0.2)
ML 2.3

computersystem and prog
Win7 64bit SP1
Gimp 2.8.10

Yesterday I shoot some pics at night! I tried to open the long term exposure pics (>500s) in gimp but gimp doesn't open the pics!
Gimp opens all other pics (BULB <30S)!
Is somebody there who had the same problem already?
Thanks in advance and best regards!

vertigopix

Hi !

Gimp can't open RAW files directly.
You can open it with UFRaw.

Cheers !

helmut600D

Oh sorry, I didn't tell you that I export the raws with DPP into JPEG! Gimp doesn't open the JPEG!!
Thx

Walter Schulz

Doesn't sound like ML's error. Sounds like GIMP having a problem with some exif data.
Take one of the JPEGs, copy it and use EXIFtool (+ EXIFgui) to strip exposure time data from the file.
Does GIMP accept the file thereafter?

Ciao
Walter

helmut600D

Hi Walter,
I tried this now but it still doesn't work. I tried to erase the exposure time and I tried to change the exposure time to 20s!
Both ways doesn't work. It is significant that every picture which is made with >30s (with ML) is not accepted by GIMP.
There is no error, gimp writes in the status "opening" but nothing happens! I also think that this is a gimp problem!
Hopefully I find a solution soon ;)
BR

Walter Schulz

I don't use DPP for RAW conversion but I have seen DPP messing up meta data. Try to strip all meta data from the file and look how GIMP reacts.

escho

What happens, if you use ufraw-gimp for decoding?

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

helmut600D

So,
I identified the problem now!
The value for "37377 Photo.ShutterSpeedValue SRational" = -2147483648/1
I changed the value to 327680/65536, like it is on other (openable) photos! Now Gimp opens the pic!
I'm happy now that I resolved the issue but I still don't understand why this problem occurs ONLY with ML long time exposure pics?
BR

a1ex

Keep your finger on the shutter button for >500s (without ML) and you'll get the same problem ;)

helmut600D

Thank you all very much for your help :)
Maybe in the future this bug will be fixed!
BR

i cant really do that

Quote from: helmut600D on February 02, 2014, 02:24:07 PM
So,
I identified the problem now!
The value for "37377 Photo.ShutterSpeedValue SRational" = -2147483648/1
I changed the value to 327680/65536, like it is on other (openable) photos! Now Gimp opens the pic!
I'm happy now that I resolved the issue but I still don't understand why this problem occurs ONLY with ML long time exposure pics?
BR

Hi Helmut.
Could you please tell me how to I get to the same area to change the settings, I do not know where to look! I too am having this problem with long exposures.

Thanks you in advance.