dual iso 2,5k movie thread

Started by Danne, July 26, 2014, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lureb74

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 18, 2016, 06:02:21 PM
As far, as I understand, moderators doesn't encourage sharing user compiled binaries. All such messages with links was deleted.
It's really easy work, moreover if you did it before.

Yes, right! :)

Well... may be the fault is for my "scarse" english (always google translating for helping me writing in these threads) or for my unknowledge of coding stuf, but I REALLY don't understand the recipy!

I think I'll need to wait some more time, checking threads and builds... except that someone wants to share some "simple" solution via PM ! ;) I'll be available to experiment and post the results!

dfort

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 18, 2016, 06:02:21 PM
As far, as I understand, moderators doesn't encourage sharing user compiled binaries. All such messages with links was deleted.
It's really easy work, moreover if you did it before.

Really? I've been sharing my compiled binaries for a while and never had a problem. I've been posting them on bitbucket where the ML source code is hosted so that might make a difference.

So let's see if I can follow this:

1. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15894.0

Hey, that's my post on how to setup a Cygwin/MinGW-64 development environment--ok, check.

2. Merge iso-research with unified.
The idea was taken here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg129237#msg129237

Ah--a note from a1ex. Not too difficult to follow but hasn't the fullres-silent-pics branch already been merged into unified?

QuoteTry merging the fullres-silent-pic branch with the iso-research branch.

If you don't want to merge, compile the fullres-silent-pics branch as usual, with CONFIG_GDB=y, then compile only the extra modules from iso-research.

3. Here is how to enable: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg145036#msg145036
Viola, centered FHD crop, color and realtime, and with ext. monitor too, continuous with decent card.

Uh--this one is going to be a bit more challenging.

Quote from: a1ex on April 14, 2015, 07:51:46 PM
For 5D3, a configuration that appears to work is:

CMOS[1]                 0xB8B           vertical position and size
CMOS[2]                 0x10E           horizontal position and downsizing factor
CMOS[6]                 0x170           ISO related? pink highlights without it
ADTG2[0x8000]           0x5             it's 5 in zoom mode and 6 in 1080p
ADTG4[0x8000]           0x5             same
ADTG2[0x8806]           0x6088          without this, you get some weird artifacts
                                        note: ADTG4[0x8806] should not be changed (default 0x6048)

How to apply it:
- compile ML for adtg_gui (see first post)
- load adtg_gui and enable it in Debug menu
- go to movie mode 1080p, 24 or 25 fps
- go to play mode and back
- configure the registers in adtg_gui submenu (latest adtg_gui has a preset for crop mode registers)
- go to play mode and back (again)

Minor bug: it has a few black lines at the top.

I can give it a go--or if you have a bitbucket account with a branch that has most of this already merged and ready to compile it would be greatly appreciated if you could share a link to that branch. I don't mind compiling and sharing it.

mothaibaphoto

@dfort:
I didn't write a line of code, have no (yet) bitbucket account (but plan to get one if I will suddenly code something)
I will share my expirience with this find in "CMOS/ADTG/Digic register investigation on ISO" thread. 
But all this discussion is completely off topic here(sorry about that) -
no DualISO or 2,5k movie this way :(
One note: you miss the point - required functionality(adtg_gui module) in iso-research, not fullres branch.

Danne

Yeah. Adtg_gui module and then tweak settings. I,m not to familiar with how to work it but I understand that settings done in adtg_gui will revert to original state upon restart? I,d be happy to see some action on this in your thread motbaiphoto. If it,s nicely working I would love to see it in the nightlies.
By the way. Last I tried I had some border flicker but I didn,t test too much.

dfort

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 20, 2016, 09:06:24 AM
One note: you miss the point - required functionality(adtg_gui module) in iso-research, not fullres branch.

Ok--so let's see if I get it now.

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 12, 2016, 09:44:28 AM
2. Merge iso-research with unified.
The idea was taken here...

Oh, so the idea was taken from that but don't do that, do this: "Merge iso-research with unified." Ok, simple enough.

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 20, 2016, 09:06:24 AM
But all this discussion is completely off topic here...

Well it is about this--isn't it?

Quote from: lureb74 on February 18, 2016, 04:47:57 PM
Actually, it would be great if it would be possible to put the 3x crop window right in the center!!!

DeafEyeJedi

I'm almost at the grasp of compiling this ... I keep getting a few errors via Terminal ... I don't understand why can't @mothaibapoto share this with a few of us to test it out and speed up the process of getting this to finally merge into the nightlies.

This is a team effort ... anyone else agree on this matter?

Not tying to sound obnoxious but it's the truth.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Ok--here we go. I posted a build for the 5D3.113 which is what I believe most people are using for 2.5k movie files.

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

magiclantern-Nightly.2016Feb20.5D3113_adtg_gui.zip

I was hoping to get away with just handing off the adtg_gui module but it doesn't work with the current unified branch.

I'm rather new to the 5D3 and haven't tried 2.5k dual iso yet so maybe someone with more experience can give it a try and report back? (Team effort?  ;))

bouncyball

@dfort:

Quote from: dfort on February 21, 2016, 06:42:02 AM
Ok--here we go. I posted a build for the 5D3.113 which is what I believe most people are using for 2.5k movie files.

Thank you so much. Always wanted to play with adtg_gui!!!
Usually I'm compiling ML in linux but never tried other branches or merging them. Have not gotten to that point ever :)

Just quick recorded center cropped x264 ...

bb

lureb74

I tried to download this, but I find that the dual iso feature is not working... well, actually I only try it in photo mode, but since I needing that feature I switch to the latest build (02/24), in which the dual iso feature is working regularly. So, I don't even try to use adtg_gui for any testing...

dfort

That may be one of the reasons why adtg_gui isn't in the nightly builds. This is for developers, experimenters and users who like living on the edge.

lureb74

I don't even loaded adtg_gui! I wrote:
Quote from: lureb74 on February 26, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
... I find that the DUAL ISO feature is not working... well, actually I only try it in photo mode...
:)

Walter Schulz

"Not working" is not that easy to reproduce. You might tell us your settings first and which error you got.

lureb74

Ok, not working: I mean, I loaded and enabled the feature as normal, using a +3 value and setting ISO to 100 (I can see 100/800 in live view) but the stills are exposed only at 100. So, no interlaced files, no 100-800 lines!
I refer only to this version of ML:

Hoping now I explain myself better!
Cheers

Walter Schulz

And with "standard" nightly builds Dual-ISO works fine?

lureb74

Yes!

Quote from: lureb74 on February 26, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
... I switch to the latest build (02/24), in which the dual iso feature is working regularly...

Walter Schulz

Have you tried to replace dual_iso.mo coming with "ADTG"-build with the one from regular Nightly Build?

lureb74

Sirius

Hey Guys, I gave the dual iso a try today, but something is very wrong with the footage. I uploaded something on youtube. Could someone please tell me, what is wrong ? It looks horrible..
https://youtu.be/qrmjWHlYUC4
Greetings

Danne

What ml firmware build are you using? Camera settings? What program are you using to develop the dng files?
Upload a sample file?

Sirius

Thanks for the fast reply!
I just made a Dropbox folder with the programs i used and a DNG file before and after the cr2hdr convert.
I filmed in 1920 x 1080, f 16  1/50 sec , ML Raw(MLV) , dual ISO
Global draw : off
Use SRM job memory : on
extra hacks : on
buffer fill method : 4
CF-only buffers : 1
Reserve card space : on
Dual Iso 100/1600
Auto WB
I opened the converted dngs in After Effects as Footage and interpreted it with ACR. afterwards i opened the project in Premiere Pro.
I use the ML Nightly Build for 5D MK III Firmware 1.2.3
there are theses cruel artefacts in the picture and the pink frames. 
By the way, if I try to film in crop mode, it's totally failing and stopping after 2-4 secs because of frameskipping.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/692kaya9okfotmm/AABnl8sWrSZ0RX5Z9SJ00kw6a?dl=0

kidfob

@DeafEye, any thoughts on monitoring while shooting 2.5k continuous with Hacked Preview? Is there a workaround for being able to see what is actually happening on screen?

Thanks

Danne

@Sirius

Download the latest nightly build for your camera. At least for 1.1.3 the pinkframe issue is gone. I think 1.2.3 is fixed too
You should film in 3x zoom mode to lessen artifacts. It will default to 30fps so you have to set fps override to 24 or 25 fps.
If you experience small flicker in sequences it will come from white levels not being linear coming from cr2hdr processing. THis can be fixed with exiftool. You could come back here once you sorted out the other things.

Jin Kim

Hi.
I have 5D2.
I'm confused between dual iso and hdr video recording with 5d2.
When I set up dual iso in magic lantern menu, the video taken did not show any vertical line that I can see when I took dual iso picture. Also, when I take HDR video with my 5d2, the video taken shows blinking (light and dark) video.
Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to take Dual iso (not HDR) video with 5d2?
   1-1. Then, please let me know how to set up the menu to take it.

2. If Dual iso video is not possible to take with 5d2, please let me know how to convert the HDR video that I took to convert DNG in Mac (I converted the video to dng files but one picture is bright another one is dark the next one is bright...).

Thank you in advance!

Jin