dual iso 2,5k movie thread

Started by Danne, July 26, 2014, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Looked at my dual iso 3x crop mode files and did indeed see two different patterns also for raw. For mlv 3x mode I see 4 different like dmilligan already stated. COuldn,t really notice any notcable variations on whitebalance though in mlv and raw. Did not shoot a lot in mlv yet so there could be situations where it could be a problem maybe.
Raw gave a slight variation on white balance on the files. TWo different could be find for raw and I think four different for mlv in acr. Variations are very subtle.
So, white balance is also affected but maybe not noticable i most cases. I couldn,t say that it have affected my files.
If affected than it would be nice to equalice those levels the same as white and black level.

dubzeebass

Danne, how are you getting such clean footage without aliasing is my big question? I understand the 3x crop thing, but if for example I shoot in my backyard, I get crazy aliasing on the shingles on top of my garage, the brick wall, etc.

Your stuff is great, mazel tov.

Danne

Hi Dubzeebass, nice to hear from you. Funny, I finished a recursive script workflow like the one you worked with converting mlv files today :).

Yeah, I manage to get some good footage. What camera do you use? I think 5d mark 3 is the one if you want the cleanest results. I don,t get perfect, I also have aliasing and such. Chromatic abberations too. Some of it I can fix in acr but not all.
Would be nice to se an example.

bennyray1

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but is Dual Iso Movie only a 5D MIII module or is it also available for the 7D?? Or do i just simply need to turn Dual Iso on and record .mlv file and then convert...

Danne

I think it works on most cameras. In first post are some descriptions on how to convert your files. Mac mostly.
Turn on dual iso, find your highlights at low iso, 100 is good and lift shadows with the other iso, around 800, 1600 iso.

bennyray1

Thank you @Danne your videos have inspired me to try my first dual iso movie,thank you for your tutorials and complete direction when it comes to this type of project sir.

DavidSh

Your vids are truly beautiful Danne.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Danne

a1ex

Quote from: senzazn12 on October 01, 2014, 06:26:51 PM
odd numbered frames  (1,3,5,7 and etc.) look the same when it comes to white balance) and all the even numbered (2,4,6,8) seem to match when it comes to white balance

Need some help in diagnosing it. Can you take a few silent pictures with exactly the same settings?

(to avoid this effect, fine-tune the FPS until the image gets stable, but the converter could handle this better)

jman

Is there a tutorial for a PC dual iso workflow anywhere?? Thank You!  :)

Walter Schulz

jman

DON'T see anything on the 1st page that is PC related. Will this program work!

Danne

Try the links. Updated mlvfs and lightroom link with parenthesis info.
Good luck!

jman

jman

So I'm trying dual iso in movie mode on the 7d. Tried mlv. Tried raw. N O T H I N G as remote as having a dng with the dual lines. What the hell is so wrong here. My dual iso is set, my mlv video is set and I get S Q U A T !! Thought it was pretty much straight forward.

jman

Thanks...Almost killed my neighbour over that one !!

Danne

Some freshly made dual iso movie files. Here are some screencaptures for viewing. Dynamic range is mindblowing with cr2hdr20bit.
Used a1ex cr2hr20bit, filmed in RAW 2240x1260, 3x zoom, 24fps, export AE ProRes through ACR.
Converted raw and dng dual iso through this app.

cr2hdr-r 0.1 "app"
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4tCJMlOYfirckJfdkRWU09icWc&usp=sharing

dubzeebass

Danne

Danne

True. Also a 5D mark 3. Less aliasing.

[email protected]

Hi

I have tried to find the Movi cr2hdr-r 0.2b "app" but the only one I can find appears to be Apple not Windows.  Is there a Windows version Please.

I seemed to have cracked doing still images but find that I have to unzip cr2hdr each time I want to use it. Strange.  and of course it does not work on movi. What do I need to do please and how do I attach an Image?

Danne

Hi Tim. The app/workflow provided is for mac atm. Havn, t updated first post but follow the link below.
Upload images somewhere outside the forum then put the link in between after pressing the image icon.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

*updated first post

[email protected]

Just found out that the latest post is on the last page not the first.  Such a lot to learn which is why some of my posts appear disjointed.

What do you use the DCraw app for?  When I use it  on an image it converts to PNG and puts it into Glimp.  Will follow your link re movi.