dual iso 2,5k movie thread

Started by Danne, July 26, 2014, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Are there any alternatives to mlv mystic for dng dual iso batch processing?

Danne

A.D has compiled an app here. Don,t know if you need some additional files.
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads/OSX_cr2hdr_app.zip
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads/

If you have lightroom you could try this
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.0

I,m searching for something which gives same level on all the files right now. Not to used in using tools like exif tool or terminal but Alex has developed some sort of command to get them to develop with same black and white level. This will prevent flicker from occasional files.

Markus

Thanks I'll check those out. I'm  trying ML RAW Video Converter 1.9.2 right now. Didn't get it to work first because need to click the dual iso clip and enable dual iso processing. Slow processing though and only using 15% of the cpu capacity. Some settings here on processing also but they are greyed out. Chroma smoothing is something I would like to avoid I wonder if that is on or of when the option is greyed out like that.

Danne

I see, you,re on windows. Filmed anything?

Danne

So, managed to get the "same level" to apply on a whole folder by following first this video

Then apply following code in terminal.

Quote from: a1ex on May 06, 2014, 11:33:20 PM
Right, using --same-levels with parallel processing is a little harder (because all the files are analyzed at the end, and then it decides a white level that hopefully matches all of them). But it can be done after a regular conversion, like this:

exiftool *.DNG "-WhiteLevel<BlackLevel"
exiftool *.DNG "-WhiteLevel+=50000"

You may need to fiddle with the values though; lower the value if you get pink highlights, increase it if you think you can squeeze some more highlight detail.

Markus

Quote from: Danne on August 18, 2014, 11:43:54 PM
I see, you,re on windows. Filmed anything?

Made a super quick test that looked nice. Thinking on filming a side by side with two mk3s. I'm interested in getting a feel for when I would rather have the dynamic range then full res.    I'm betting there are a whole lot of situations where this mode could be useful.

Danne

Markus

Did a quick and dirty test of dual iso vs normal mode in a scene with extreme dynamic range. I think I would prefer the 1600 iso version with full res in a situation like this. I think the windows look quite good almost blown out but with some detail still there.

I shot it all in full hd. Developed in resolve 11.I was experimenting with high res low fps for timelapse just before this so I still had 5 fps on if you're wondering about the fast movement.

Danne

Cool. Thanks for sharing.
I tend to use acr and despite what is said about flicker I work with the highlight sliders to retain highlights. I simply couldn,t get resolve to save highlights the way I wanted to. Also doing all dual iso testing in 3x mode for reducing aliasing and other artifacts. I even modded a 8-16 mm sigma to get a good wideangle for 3x mode. I,ll put up some material later on.

Markus

I tryed som 2.5k x 1290 or something like that but still got aliasing with the higher res files. Maybe I should test the same files with acr to se how if it handles the dual iso files.

Danne

Yeah, there is still aliasing and such but should be muchless than in normal mode. You,ll notice the difference when you move around and film critical situations.

Markus

Tried to process the dual iso 2.5k file in ACR but the aliasing issues were only worse there. Wondering if there are settings to be tweaked in the dual iso interpolation process...

a1ex

Can you upload a few DNGs and 100% crops to show the issue?

In theory, aliasing should only appear where you would otherwise get clipped details at the higher ISO, and - to a lesser extent - where you would have lots of noise at the lower ISO.

Danne

Short test shooting in dual iso in normal mode(1920x1080) using a 20-35mm vs 3x zoom mode(2240x1260 to match the wideangle) using a modified sigma 8-16mm lens.
Question is if the difference is that big here when it comes to aliasing. Here is a few original dngs from both clips if anybody is interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirSFcwN2E2RXZVdjg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks Alex for the --same-levels option.

Markus

Quote from: a1ex on August 22, 2014, 12:50:12 PM
Can you upload a few DNGs and 100% crops to show the issue?

In theory, aliasing should only appear where you would otherwise get clipped details at the higher ISO, and - to a lesser extent - where you would have lots of noise at the lower ISO.

Maybe my situation was a bit too extreme for overlapping. I used 100/1600, it warned that it might be too a agressive in menu. I'll try to upload something tomorrow. Used fps overide at 5 fps at the same time but that shouldn't  matter...
Is chroma smoothing always on when you interpolate the dual iso dng to a usable one?

Danne

Hi Markus.
I use Mlvmystic mostly. Don,t think chroma smoothing is an option when clicking the dng tab? Or what do you use to convert?

a1ex

Please don't use MLV Mystic. It's not just a GUI over cr2hdr - it's closed source, so I have no way to know what exactly it does (besides licensing issues). It's likely based on a very early version of cr2hdr, from those times when it was included in raw2dng.

So I don't accept any issue reports if you use that program. You can post in the MLV Mystic thread if you want, but the app seems no longer maintained.

You can use the Lightroom plugin, or BarracudaGUI, or the batch processing scripts - those are just GUIs that call my binary, so the output is done with my code, which I can troubleshoot and fix.

Danne

Hi Alex! Sure, no problem. So, let me shed some light here about my concerns. Problem is I have to crop the picture in 3x mode with recent cr2hdr. That is the main reason I used Mlvmystic.
Issue report.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2091/cr2hdr-dual-iso-3x-zoom-mode-strange
THe border issue has been there since december 2013. Only in 3x zoom mode.
The A.D converter also don,t seem to work with as high resolution(or quality) as in lightroom default settings or with Mlvmystic. At least not when I compared them. Isn,t A.D version very old? It says 2013-12-07. https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads/.
Until now I,ve been using Mlrawviewer or Rawmagic to convert my files before converting the dual iso. I,d love to use lightroom or A.D without the bottom border issue again.
Thanks for everything.
/D

Markus

Quote from: a1ex on August 22, 2014, 10:39:26 PM
Please don't use MLV Mystic. It's not just a GUI over cr2hdr - it's closed source, so I have no way to know what exactly it does (besides licensing issues). It's likely based on a very early version of cr2hdr, from those times when it was included in raw2dng.

So I don't accept any issue reports if you use that program. You can post in the MLV Mystic thread if you want, but the app seems no longer maintained.

You can use the Lightroom plugin, or BarracudaGUI, or the batch processing scripts - those are just GUIs that call my binary, so the output is done with my code, which I can troubleshoot and fix.

Thanks I'll try those instead!

Danne

Markus. Could you check and report any bottom border issues in 3x zoom mode? Not many people using dualiso movie mode it seems :).

Danne

Trying to understand basic terminal commands in exiftool and found out that if you add the line -overwrite_original to the same level commands exiftool stops keeping the original of every single dng. Of course, store the original somehow if it is a critical dual iso movie file.

exiftool *.DNG "-WhiteLevel<BlackLevel" -overwrite_original
exiftool *.DNG "-WhiteLevel+=50000" -overwrite_original

*update, added -r (recursive to let the command search through folders)

Exiftool -r *.DNG "-WhiteLevel<BlackLevel" -overwrite_original
Exiftool -r *.DNG "-WhiteLevel+=50000" -overwrite_original

1 - open terminal and write Exiftool -r *.DNG "-WhiteLevel<BlackLevel" -overwrite_original then hit space once.
2 - drag your folders or a single folder containing more folders on top of the terminal command (command -r will search all folders). Hit enter. Command line will run through the DNG;s. Wait until all files are finished.
3 - run the same again but now with the other command line Exiftool -r *.DNG "-WhiteLevel+=50000" -overwrite_original hit space once.
4 - drag your same folders or a single folder containing more folders on top of the terminal command (commando -r will search all folders). Hit enter.

Terminal might be giving some warnings about not finding dng,s but the command seems to run anyway.

If someone knows how to do this in a single command please tell.
This way I get the same level on my dual iso movie files without keeping the extra original and with some sort of batch processing but in two steps.

Markus

Danne: did some more tests with barracuda gui as processing interface. Really liked the multi processing speed. Got problems with exposure jumps and the bottom border issue. Have you found a way to solve those issues?
Also do you know how to open the settings page for barracuda gui?

Danne

You could try the command lines above to and they will probably create the same level for your pics. Can,t help you on windows stuff cause I,m on mac unfortunately.

lureb74

Hi,

I shooted some clips using:

5DmkIII + ML RAW Video + Dual-ISO
Lens: Canon EF 17-40mm L
shooting resolution: 2560x1090 at 23,976fps
(3x crop mode, resized at 1920x818)
Dual-ISO: 100-800 most of the clips, one at 100-1600 (the grass in backlight)
graded in Lightroom 5 - h.264 encoding with AE

I put the first free-music I found!

What do you think about?

I can only shoot for a limited time (frame skipping disabled), trying changing some settings and disabling features in ML to get longer clips, but the longest I've been able to do was 12 to 20 secs.

I used MLV Mystic for raw to dng, dual-iso convertion with cr2hdr-20bit (drag-and-drop old-school-method :)).

Then, I tryed to fix flickering with ExifToolGUI: the black level of almost all clips was already fixed at 8192 (so fix not needed), I only changed white level to 65128 (I found it is the maximum, so I always choose this value, seems like it gives more white details).

But I still see flickering! Also, in thoose clips that I moved from light to dark areas and viceversa, the exposure gradually changes (I think "gradually" thanks to the ExifTool fix): it becomes brighter precisely in the lighter areas!
WHY? Can anyone explain it? Any suggestion to avoid it? I tried to fix it in AE, but I think is it still visible...

Danne, the mod of the sigma 8-16 sounds brilliant! As it is a lens for APS-C cameras, I imagine that the mod affects a sort of shifting to center the lens as much as possible on the 3x-crop-mode center, right?
Really cool! I can't wait to read something more about this opportunity!

Cheers!

Danne

Nicely filmed. Good composing, wonderful surroundings. Gives a more photographic feel. Hope Alex is watching :).

To get more seconds try filming without liveview. Hack on.

The flickering could be because of grading in adobe camera raw. Since you use the the 20-bit binary drag and drop method I think
you could call the --same-levels command implemented by Alex to get a same level conversion in the conversion stages.

terminal: cr2hdr --same-levels dng enter

Check this mod of 8-16mm to get a better centre spot giving me around 22mm wideangle :)