Audio recording should be enabled by default MLV_SND

Started by dpjpandone, July 26, 2014, 12:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

When the module is loaded, Audio should be enabled by default as it is with .h264 video. Too many times I am testing a new build and I forget to enable audio since I never had to do it before with my cam.  I got great footage for the movie today, but I forgot to enable sound, now I have no reference track and I have to sync the external sound up by eye.... I know, my fault, but shouldn't the raw video behavior be the same as .h264 video? just for sanity?

MonteNero

HI! I had a shoot today. And I used ML raw. UNFORTUNATELY THIS SHOOT WAS MY  FIRST EVER FUCKUP!
I setup all necessary settings in camera before the shoot and I always double check it..Once we started recording, ML crashed and I had to pull out the battery, and all of my settings got canceled. So I had to reset the camera and set some of my settings back from zero, I was in a hurry as the sun was going down. I loaded sound module but forgot to turn on the sound (my fault) For some reason instinctively I was thinking, that if I load the MLV sound the sound should be enabled by default, but it wasn't!
I think this thing must be changed...

dmilligan

mlv_snd.c, line 40 change the 0 to a 1:
static CONFIG_INT("mlv.snd.enabled", mlv_snd_enabled, 0);

stevefal

+1 to enabling mlv sound by default. You'll never kick yourself for accidentally recording sound, only for forgetting it.
Steve Falcon

jimmyD30

I would prefer that it was set to 'on' by default also, but I think for unified versions it's set to 'off' due to the performance hit recording raw takes with audio enabled.

a1ex

I no longer doubt this is the best choice, so I'll enable it.

@stevefal, some more related questions about mlv_snd:
- since it's tightly coupled with mlv_rec functionality, is it better to show the MLV sound menu under the mlv_rec submenu?
- is there any good reason to load only the mlv_rec module without also loading mlv_snd? if not, it makes sense to merge the two modules into a single one.

jimmyD30

Single module with MLV sound switch in MLV record menu sounds like good idea, take care of mlv recording all in one place and default to 'on' :D

stevefal

I agree with one module and a sound switch/submenu. For my purposes it would be simplest. I assume the sound module portion is not likely to be replaced, nor is it so big that unloading it is compelling.
Steve Falcon

MA Visuals

swinxx

+1 for one module..
I wonder if there could be a reason for recording without sound? So why not implementing it as always on...?

reddeercity

Quote from: swinxx on July 31, 2014, 06:11:27 AM
I wonder if there could be a reason for recording without sound?
I turn off sound or not load module when I what more frames in large resolution e.g. 2048x1024 at lest with the 5D2
slider shots and general supporting footage for main content like , building, nature scenes etc.. which don't need audio.
But I can't really see it making a difference as one module ,  I guess sound can be turn off audio if not needed I would suspect ? 

stevefal

Quote from: swinxx on July 31, 2014, 06:11:27 AM
I wonder if there could be a reason for recording without sound? So why not implementing it as always on...?

If I'm recording second system, I'll turn sound off to save space and processing. If no quality mic is plugged in the camera I know I won't use that audio.
Steve Falcon

swinxx

Thx stevefal!

I second that thought.
Btw.. Which quality mic can you recommend?

stevefal

Steve Falcon