600D Bricked with Battery Grip

Started by Anjasomc, July 25, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjasomc

I presume that this problem is not directly related to ML, but there's no harm in asking here!

Here's the problem: After connecting a Hahnel HC-600D Pro battery grip to my 600D for the first time, the camera now shows no signs of life. With or without grip, fully charged battery, ML card, non-bootable card, no card at all - nothing. Have tried LED blink test but with no luck, tried starting in every single mode but still nothing!

Please tell me if you have any suggestions before I send this expensive paperweight off to Canon for a (probably) expensive repair!
Thanks

jimmyD30

Absolutely nothing, not even red blinking led after you insert memory card with a battery installed?

a1ex

Battery and card doors closed properly?

jimmyD30

Good point, did you put the battery door back on after removing it for installing the grip or did you just insert battery into camera and retained with clip?

Anjasomc

No LED at all, battery door back on and tried pushing the micro switch manually too - nothing.

jimmyD30

Well then my thoughts are the 3rd party grip fried your in-camera power circuit/voltage regulator, which you could probably handle replacing yourself (or a friend handy with electronics) for not too much.

BUT, the first thing I would do to help confirm this MIGHT be the issue, is to hook up a volt meter to the output of the battery grip (your going to need to determine which pins are pos and neg) and see what you get, better if you can use a digital meter which retains the peak voltage or an analog meter which you can see if there's a voltage spike at first. Voltage should be between 7.2-8.4 DC volts.

Anjasomc

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 25, 2014, 02:30:46 PM
Voltage should be between 7.2-8.4 DC volts.

I am reading around 8.1V, with no initial spike

jimmyD30

Hmmm... That should be fine then.

Still might be something wrong with in-camera power circuitry, but these results don't bolster that prognosis.

You could send it to Canon for diagnosis (free? IDK), then fix it yourself, cause what Canon will charge for the repair is probably more than cost to replace the camera.

If your come to your wits end after waiting for other suggestions, etc., then I would consider as a last resort to swap out the power module, they cost around $50-$100 and usually only require removing the back cover of the camera, mostly a bunch of tiny screws (some may be under the rubber grip) and delicate clips, you could probably find a YouTube video showing how to do it or similar.