Silent picture capture with raw video format

Started by dmilligan, July 20, 2014, 01:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

MLV and RAW File Format Silent Pictures

With the latest full resolution silent picture development, saving these full resolution DNGs is still quite a slow process.

Now you can save these full resolution images in either of the raw video formats.  This results in speeding up the saving of the images, and also provides the benefit of all images in a timelapse, being captured in one single file for post processing, rather than hundreds of separate files.

source
silent.mo  Not for use with nightly builds, requires a build from the full-res-silent-pics branch

Some mlv/raw video converters may have trouble with the large frame sizes or OB areas.
You must load mlv_rec module to use the MLV option.
Intervalometer sequences and bursts will be stored in a single container (up to 4GB, then you'll get a .M00, .M01, etc.)

Rather than cluttering this thread with build requests, please request a build in this thread.

Greg

barepixels

Quote from: dmilligan on July 20, 2014, 01:48:25 AM
Option to save using the raw video file format (much faster than DNG):

Would this have problem with 4gigs file size limit?

Can someone compile this for 5d Mark 2 so I can test it.  Please  :P

Maybe it will solve my 2 solid black frames problem.
5D2 + nightly ML

Greg

Quote from: barepixels on July 20, 2014, 04:25:09 AM
Would this have problem with 4gigs file size limit?
No. Currently, writing isn't continuous. Each image is a separate raw file.

vstrglv

Option to save using the raw video file format (much faster than DNG):

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/558/silent-pics-option-to-save-silent-pics/diff

Just post process with raw2dng as you would a raw video file
Thank you very much! Would you please to compile for 5d3 1.13.
BTW, what is "much faster than DNG" means? How many times?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Greg

Just post process with raw2dng as you would a raw video file

How to process 500 files?
raw2dng each file name the 000000.dng

dmilligan

Quote from: Greg on July 20, 2014, 04:38:46 PM
How to process 500 files?

#!/bin/bash
for raw; do
    dng="${raw%.raw}.dng"
    if ./raw2dng "$raw"; then
        mv "000000.dng" "$dng"
    fi
done

call it like this: ./script.sh *.raw

dmilligan

barepixels

Quote from: dmilligan on July 21, 2014, 04:55:43 AM
got MLV done too, hooray for metadata!

am I understanding this right?  full size silent pic with exif info?  no freaking way!!!!!

please someone compile this for 5d mark 2 so i can test it out.  please please.
5D2 + nightly ML

dmilligan

Yep, I'll work on putting multiple frames in one mlv file when using intervalometer next

dmilligan

Quote from: dmilligan on July 21, 2014, 05:17:53 AM
I'll work on putting multiple frames in one mlv file when using intervalometer next
done: https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/magic-lantern/commits/dcc3c2f8304529ec0392f2f73f8b3a77872b31b6

If you're running the intervalometer, all your frames will go into a single MLV file (till the 4GB limit, then you get a .M00, .M01, etc). I have not tested the 4GB limit thing and file splitting thing (takes too long ;)) so please test and provide feedback.

Danger: not tested, do not use this for anything serious! If your camera breaks you get to keep the pieces!

Warning: Do not use this module with nightly builds (except 60D)
You need an autoexec.bin compiled from the full-res silent pic branch with the correct EDMAC channels and skip offsets for your camera.

dubarry

Hey dmilligan if you compile this for the 60D I would be happy to test this out...you know...for the good of the people.

unless of course this silent.mo is for the 60D...I'll check it out

Great! module works on 60D. I'll test the 4GB file split.

Thanks dmilligan.

barepixels

trying on my 5d2

tcc: error: undefined symbol 'mv_fill_wbal'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'mv_fill_rtci'
[E] failed to link modules

What I did was take mk11174's
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul19.5D2212.zip

and swap out the silent.mo
5D2 + nightly ML

brapodam

Quote from: barepixels on July 22, 2014, 06:40:11 AM
trying on my 5d2

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul19.5D2212.zip

Same error on my 60D, compiled from main branch and replaced silent.mo

mk11174

Quote from: barepixels on July 22, 2014, 06:40:11 AM
trying on my 5d2

Do you have the mlv_play and mlv_rec modules loaded too??? I think both have to also be loaded to make this link correct.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

brapodam

Quote from: mk11174 on July 22, 2014, 07:06:23 AM
Do you have the mlv_play and mlv_rec modules loaded too??? I think both have to also be loaded to make this link correct.
Ah, yes it works now

barepixels

Quote from: mk11174 on July 22, 2014, 07:06:23 AM

You are so right.  I got it to work.  Here you can see I have made 9 shots in a MLV file.  The viewer am using is MlRawviewer v1.1.6

As you can see the EXIF info are there   YAY !!!!

here is the problem, I can't seem to be able to convert the MLV to DNG

So far I have tried with:
MLV Converter 1.9.2
MLVMystic v0.5

both create empty folders with no files.

BTW the MLV file is 00000000.MLV.  they are over expose and blurry pics while I held in front of computer screen while intervalmeter doing its thing  (a shot every 5 seconds)
5D2 + nightly ML

barepixels

update:

over exposure problem solved.  as alex instructed:  exposure override must be on

am also able to extract the DNGs  by drag and drop the MLV over mlv2dng.exe,  which is located in  MLV Converter 1.9.2/Tools/mlv2dng.exe  The GUI fail but the exe works  YAY

EXIF is correct too:   1/6 sec;   f/11;   ISO 100

While this method does works.  Here is the errors I get in mlv2dng.exe

PS am using mk11174's https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul19.5D2212.zip
nightly build cause hard crash where I have to remove the battery

am guessing nightly build didn't have the EDMAC changes in the autoexec.bin

PS: huge thanks to dmilligan for making it MLV build

I have upload my MLV for those that want to play with it.  It's 5 pics in a MLV (188mb)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63842491/00000004.MLV
5D2 + nightly ML

Attero

Intervalomat + Silent Pics works great, puts the Frames inside a .mlv Container. But im gettin the same Error's inside mlv2dng.exe like barepixels. And like the image from him show's, there are some Blackborders in the Top and left of the Image after converting from mlv 2 dng.

dmilligan

@gcrook,
thanks, that data is very helpful

Quote from: barepixels on July 22, 2014, 09:30:50 AM
EXIF is correct too:   1/6 sec;   f/11;   ISO 100
Right now the shutter speed in the exif metadata is simply the shutter displayed on the screen which is not actually correct. This needs to be fixed and figuring out the true shutter speed is going to be difficult.

Quote from: Attero on July 22, 2014, 12:36:15 PM
there are some Blackborders in the Top and left of the Image
You need to use this module with a build from the full-res-silent-pic branch that has the new correct EDMAC channels and skip offsets for your camera.

The module I posted will "load" with any recent builds, but if you don't use it with a build from the branch with the correct changes you will have problems actually trying to use it (except on 60D where there are no differences).

Do not use it with nightly builds

dsManning

That's interesting dmilligan, I have a build I made myself from the 50D fullrespics branch and everything worked fine with correct centering with the silent.mo that I built.  When I switched to your new module (while keeping the rest of my card untouched) the mlv saving function worked great, but I have black bars.

Went back and tested with your module saving in plain dng and the framing/centering are correct.  Switch to mlv and I get black borders.  Have two files if you want a look.

gcrook

Quote from: dmilligan on July 22, 2014, 12:59:38 PM
@gcrook,
thanks, that data is very helpful
Right now the shutter speed in the exif metadata is simply the shutter displayed on the screen which is not actually correct. This needs to be fixed and figuring out the true shutter speed is going to be difficult.
You need to use this module with a build from the full-res-silent-pic branch that has the new correct EDMAC channels and skip offsets for your camera.

The module I posted will "load" with any recent builds, but if you don't use it with a build from the branch with the correct changes you will have problems actually trying to use it (except on 60D where there are no differences).

Do not use it with nightly builds

would a moderator or @brapodam please delete reply #160

Oh i see.Yes for the 60D i used the July 22 nghtly with the silent.mo you posted on post #153.So its ok to continue with 60D and July 22 nighly if i understand correctly?
I actually did the same with my 550D but with the silent.mo in mk11174 put in  latest 60D build only with full res silent pics (no mlv).
Should i stop using that as well?
I have no means to compile the build for the 60D you say though,if someone has already done that and wouldn't mind posting a link to it
i would continue shooting further tests or any kind of test you or anyone else would like for me to do.

Attero

I dont know exactly what i have to do to set the center right to avoid black borders on the 600D when im using the newest silent.mo with Timelapse -> .mlv container. But im still very happy how it works without it. Im sure u will delet this minor bugs ;)

If there is anything i can do to help with my 600D let me know.

barepixels

Quote from: dsManning on July 22, 2014, 01:17:52 PM

Went back and tested with your module saving in plain dng and the framing/centering are correct.

Confirm, in save as DNG mode,    it centered without black bar
5D2 + nightly ML

garry23

Hope someone can help get me on track.

I'm running the FF silent.mo on my 5DIII 123.

I'm using the MLV route.

I get my timelapse MLV packaged OK and mlv2dng.exe works fine: however, on the left and top image areas I have black offsets.

I thought I had used the correct versions of everything.

Can someone point me at the correct ML files to use with the 123 firmware on the 5DIII. I fear I'm out of sync somewhere.

Thanks in advance, and sorry to be a pain.