Magic Lantern CF card format protection

Started by Zanzibeer, July 22, 2014, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanzibeer

I might be imagining that I saw this, but I thought there was a way to create/format/partition a CF card that won't erase the ML files after a card format. I might be wording this wrong because I can't seem to find any information on the subject.

To clarify - when you format a CF card it would erase all the pictures and movies in the DCIM folder, but it would keep the Magic Lantern files in the root directory.

Is this even possible or am I crazy?

barepixels

ML have a smart feature where before formating, it will backup ML stuff, then format the card, then restore ML from backup.  I have always assume its backup to memory in the camera.
5D2 + nightly ML

Zanzibeer

Quote from: barepixels on July 22, 2014, 07:47:56 PM
ML have a smart feature where before formating, it will backup ML stuff, then format the card, then restore ML from backup.  I have always assume its backup to memory in the camera.

Thank you for the response. If I'm understanding this correctly the camera will do all the work as I format the card as usual?

Walter Schulz

If ML is active and as long as you format the card in a cam with ML active: Yes.

Please keep in mind we can't read your mind and "usual" is a term prone to cause misunderstandings.

SiSS

Okay, so no need for SD cards anymore?
I need to have that same ML file on every CF card?

Walter Schulz

SiSS