5D mk3 RAW Slow Motion /// JAPAN

Started by davidanthonyparkinson, July 22, 2014, 09:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidanthonyparkinson

Hey everyone. This is a film I shot in Japan back in February. Only just had time to edit it.

90% of the shots are shot RAW at 50fps in bursts.
I'm pretty happy with the results I think.

Thanks for watching.

Sidneywish

Great. Did you apply any other slow motion in post? Or is that all 50fps?

nikki

did you have rig?
just using the IS..on the lens

Psyrco

davidanthonyparkinson

Yes sorry forgot to mention I also used Twixtor for a number of shots.  Almost all of it was shot at 50fps, some at 24fps.

Obviously using Twixtor you loose a bit of sharpness but overall it still looks pretty good to me. 

Thanks for watching.

:D

davidanthonyparkinson

Yes I had a glidecam 2000. Probably my favourite tool.

dmk

Gorgeous grade. Would love some tips about your thought process while grading in general here

sylvain_c

great gwork, you grade in resolve?Are you using the news impulz lut??
5D MKIII 1.1.3

davidanthonyparkinson

With the grade I've tried to emulate film stock.  Basically lift the blacks a little bit. Lower the contrast. Warm up the mid tones. Ad a little hint of green to the blacks and then desaturate. Then ad a really fine grain to it using film convert. 

It helps starting with 5D raw footage because it has much more dynamic range. Makes grading a lot more fun for sure.

Thanks for the kind words <3

psuarez

Looked at all your work David.  Beautiful. So observational and clean.  Could I ask you what lenses you use?.  Do you mostly shoot with a 5D in RAW?.  Thanks.

davidanthonyparkinson

Thanks very much.

I don't usually shoot with RAW actually. Only on 2 or 3 projects. The truth is dealing with the RAW footage is a pain in the ass and its unreliable. I've lost a whole CF card worth of footage once because it was corrupted.  I've actually just purchased a RED Epic so will be using that for a lot of things now.

Lenses I usually use are 24-105 f4,  16-35 f2.8,  50 f1.2,  50 f1.8,  35 f1.4

Cheers!

ap.raul

Wow, this video is freakin' awesome. I also made a video about Japan, but your video puts my video to shame.

2 thumbs up.

CalleX

Very very nice! The sequence 25 seconds into the film is jaw dropping! Very inspirational!

beauchampy

Would love to know even more about your grading process...

What do you grade in? Do you start by making the image flat using a LUT or otherwise?

TehThird

nathanjames

zacshome

amazing colours!! beautiful music. good job

Bzhftw

\o/