Don't know how to install a module

Started by Aldo, July 20, 2014, 12:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldo

Hi all.
well, I quite don't understand why  all this mistery about HOW TO INSTALL DUAL ISO on magic lantern, really.
I was looking for sea and montains about dual iso installation guide and at last the main link is to the thread I'm writing on.
Many persons asks on how to install dual iso, not "how to use" but how to I-N-S-T-A-L-L .
User guide, technical manual, pdf, sample images, everything you need but when noobs like me asks on how to install dual iso on magic lantern replies are misleading and incomplete with tons of unnecessary words.
Typical question: can someone please tell me STEP BY STEP how to install dual iso?
Typical reply: it depends, are you sure you want to do it? for example on my 7d hangs on for an USB remote API but after several try at last I made dual iso to work and I'm pretty happy to use this. You can check samples here (stupid link to flickr or other) or you can check for more information here (the link to this page) or technical info here (another useless link for installation that reports technical parameters about real iso and other technical charts). And more and more words but nothing really concerning on how to install dual iso. Again: dual iso is a module! You can take it here (and SBAM! another link to https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/modules/dual_iso/  where you find many files). What we should do with this files? Have we to pick all them and put it all in a folder? A folder in the SD? Have we to create the folder? should we take only 1 file? Yes? Which one? Oh, yeah, right, "it depends" ... I write all this for 2 reasons: 1st of all you make me (and many others) frustrated for missing detailed instructions and second because, like I said, there tons of useless reply to this question and I think that this is not a negligible question. I think the question deserves a locked dedicated thread but I really can't found nothing. Please, for the millionth time, can some pious soul tell how to install dual iso without "depends",  sample images and assuming nothing of nothing? There are many warns about to use magic lantern on own risk, we understand and agree it. There are warns about the possibility to fry the sensor with dual iso... ok we accept this risk but you throw on the web a bunch of files without a guide for the installation without any care about to install it?
Concluding, I'm sorry for this post, I don't want to be aggressive and I understand that free software deserves only thanks and absolutely no complaints, expecially for the big work concerning ML but I would to focus your attention on how this is not well organized and frustrating for many noobs people like me in first.
Thank you very much for your work!

Stedda

Want Dual ISO on your camera, no need to write a ranting novel of your misunderstandings...

SIMPLY, find the correct thread dedicated to the supported camera you own here on the forum, read the install guide, then read it again if you don't understand it, download Nightly Build for you camera and follow instructions. When camera restarts go to the Modules Tab and turn on Dual ISO. Restart Camera. Done.

Quite Simple, most issues here are peoples lack of knowledge or willingness to read up and find out information for themselves.

Find your camera here... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=34.0
Then start reading...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Aldo

Quote from: Stedda on July 20, 2014, 01:26:18 PM
Want Dual ISO on your camera, no need to write a ranting novel of your misunderstandings...

SIMPLY, find the correct thread dedicated to the supported camera you own here on the forum, read the install guide, then read it again if you don't understand it, download Nightly Build for you camera and follow instructions. When camera restarts go to the Modules Tab and turn on Dual ISO. Restart Camera. Done.

Quite Simple, most issues here are peoples lack of knowledge or willingness to read up and find out information for themselves.

Find your camera here... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=34.0
Then start reading...

First of all thanks for your reply.
Second: I'm successfully using ML on my Canon 60D since a lot of time, I do not need to know how to install ML.
I put beforehand I'm a noob, however like many many people. I think it's not a shame the "lack of knowledge". I'm a photographer, not a geek.   The point is we aren't talking about "misunderstandings or willingness to read" but about incomplete info about the installation of the module or info are throw in posts puzzle style.
Let's start over:
I've a Canon 60D where is already installed ML 2.3 and I'm pretty happy to use it without any kind of problem.
To install dual iso I should REinstall ML using Nightly Build? I clicked on the nth link provided to "find my camera" but clicking on the link nothing about 60D (CTRL+F in chrome and "60D").
This is what I mean: search, read a divine commedy and try to merge various info to complete the puzzle.
I'm a noob and I can't find nothing about canon 60D at the link http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=34.0 but I'm sure I'm using ML 2.3 on my 60D, I'm not so crazy.
Is it please possible to tell us a "step by step how to install dual iso" without links to inconsistent threads?
Thank you!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Aldo on July 20, 2014, 01:53:28 PMTo install dual iso I should REinstall ML using Nightly Build?

Yes, just click on this and use the dropdown list to look for the cam you want to use.
Text on Download page isn't up to date and that is a nuissance.
And inconsistency is a problem, too. And it will persist because ML development is dynamic (rolling updates) and prone for docs/tutorials running old/unmaintained.

Stedda

Extract files from Nightly Build and copy to root of card replacing all existing ML files. Also recommended is to delete your config file to start fresh and avoid any issues. There's a huge difference between ML 2.3 and Nightly Builds.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Aldo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 20, 2014, 01:58:02 PM
Yes, just click on this and use the dropdown list to look for the cam you want to use.
Text on Download page isn't up to date and that is a nuissance.
And inconsistency is a problem, too. And it will persist because ML development is dynamic (rolling updates) and prone for docs/tutorials running old/unmaintained.

Finally!
Since it's clear that to test/use dual iso you need a "Nightly Build" I can strongly say I'm not interested to any alpha/beta/"nightly" version of any software/driver also if it can promise to let you land on the moon.
Thank you all :)

Audionut

I'm pretty sure I have this question answered in the one of two sticky threads in the general help section.

The sticky to end all stickies. Read this first.