Dusk & Love medicine / ML RAW

Started by jackmoro, July 20, 2014, 10:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackmoro

Dusk & Love medicine / ML RAW

Filmed with Canon EOS 6D. Everything is handheld. Had to turn stabilization off, because battery was too low. Used great Kamerar VF to make it more steady. I got some crap on sensor, but found it only at home, decided to keep shots as is. Due to lack of light I was recording with 2.8, as a result lacking DOF in some shots.

Magic Lantern RAW 14bit video.
Graded in Davinci Resolve + final curves and story in Sony Vegas.

PS: Please, do not watch it full screen on fullHD monitor :)

http://vimeo.com/101237596

COMMANDES

Перенасыщенный синий, слишком сжатые тени, слишком много шарпа. Замедление лучше делать в АЕ при помощи Twixtor.

Google translate:
Oversaturated blue, shadows too compressed, too much sharp. Slowing down is best done in AE using Twixtor.
Canon 650D, EOSM 2.02, M50 1.1.0

barepixels

I think you did a wonderful job. I enjoy watching it. Thanks for sharing
5D2 + nightly ML

jackmoro

Quote from: barepixels on July 21, 2014, 01:14:32 AM
I think you did a wonderful job. I enjoy watching it. Thanks for sharing

Thanx for watching. You're welcome :)

bobbybeans

Hi Alex
At this sad time in the World at the moment it made me think about my life. I thought your Video was stunning.

jackmoro

Quote from: bobbybeans on July 22, 2014, 02:51:52 AM
Hi Alex
At this sad time in the World at the moment it made me think about my life. I thought your Video was stunning.

Thanx and no worries Bobby, world will be never perfect, but for sure it will be better anytime soon :)

KelvinK

Hi, Alex.

Touching film, to be honest. Colors, shots, editing, spirit and your "overlay" timelapse.
Added to vimeo.com/channels/hdtime

Grain looks filmic, how did you add it?
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

Hi Alex,

Good to see someone else shooting raw with his 6d  :D
Do love the color grading in most of your edits, like in the Brussels Airport, the shadows in the edit you posted here are too much lifted for my personal taste  :)
And amazing how stable your handheld shots are!

Saw somewhere that you do have some problems with aliasing sometimes.
Most of the aliasing problem can be solves with RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com).
You can choose different demosaicing in RawTherapee, Amaze and Lmmse works best against the aliasing.
When also adding some microcontrast in RawTherapee, I end up getting much more detail/sharpness then using the dng's directly in DaVinci.
I use RawTherapee for developing my raw dng's and output them in TIFF format for use in DaVinci Resolve.

Here'a an example of aliasing in Lightroom(left) and the same dng in RawTherapee.
Lightroom has about the same aliasing issues for the canon 6d as DaVinci Resolve has (Both are not made for lineskipping raw files... :D)

ru31jan

Levas, could you give a brief explanation of your workflow in Rawtherapee? Seems really useful, but I can't quite get the same results as you.

Thanks in advance!

Levas

I'm using RawTherapee 4.0 for mac, version 3 had some troubles with pink highlights for Magic lantern raw dng's.

You got 3 tabs, file browse, Queue and editor tab.
If you're in the editor tab, you get six tabs on the right for developing the picture.
In the raw tab (5th one), you can set the demosaicing method. In most cases I use "lmmse" sometimes I use "Amaze".
Further down you have 2 sliders, one for suppressing false color, depends on your image how high you need it, most times a setting of 2 is enough.

Set the white balance in the color tab (3d tab).
My frames all start out pink, so I first use the tint slider.

Then you go to the exposure tab(first one of the 6).
Click on the neutral button (cause you don't wanna use the "auto levels" button (which is used by default, and causes exposure differences during your frames.)
Set the exposure by using the sliders.

Then go to "Detail tab" (the second tab).
The sharpening amount I set to 100, (which is 250 by default).

And then comes the magic trick, add some, I mean, lots of microcontrast:
Enable microcontrast and use 3x3 matrix.
Put the quantity to 80 and uniformity to 50.

The microcontrast option works best for clean low iso shots.

Some usefull shortkeys:
Ctrl-A = selecting all pictures in the folder
Ctrl-V = paste settings to selected pictures (don't forget to copy the processing profile to the clipboard by using the button available in RawTherapee)
Ctrl-B = Put all selected pictures to the processing Queue (older versions of Raw Therapee had an other shortcut for this, I believe Ctrl-Q)

ru31jan

Thanks allot for your explenation! Getting allot better results now.

jackmoro

Thanx, Levas for tips. Tried it.
It's really brings up more details from DNG's, but on other hand it's boosting aliasing as well. So, probably it's could work much better with 5d3 :)
Anyway, great short tutorial, thanx again.

Levas

What type of aliasing do you mean ?
The demosaicing methods, LMMSE and AMAZE, reduce funky colors a lot.
It's true if you set sharpening too high, it gets very obvious that you have a very high horizontal(pixelbinning) resolution and a low vertical resolution(lineskipping).
For better results you can set the sharpening amount to 0 on the "Detail tab".
The micro-contrast brings up lot's of detail and even helps masking the aliasing, it has somewhat the same effect as putting film grain over your video in post proces.

jackmoro

Quote from: Levas on July 28, 2014, 10:39:44 AM
What type of aliasing do you mean ?
The demosaicing methods, LMMSE and AMAZE, reduce funky colors a lot.
It's true if you set sharpening too high, it gets very obvious that you have a very high horizontal(pixelbinning) resolution and a low vertical resolution(lineskipping).
For better results you can set the sharpening amount to 0 on the "Detail tab".
The micro-contrast brings up lot's of detail and even helps masking the aliasing, it has somewhat the same effect as putting film grain over your video in post proces.

I'm talking about "normal" aliasing from line skiping :)
Well, seems setting detail to 0 makes it less visible.