How to convert large Raw files to DNG (PC)

Started by windh, July 19, 2014, 08:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windh

Hi,

I recently shot some raw stuff on my 7D using ML. Some takes were pretty long, and it seems like the raw2dng.exe wont take these big files... (they´re about 3 GB+ in size.)

Any ideas on this?

Kind regards,

windh

Walter Schulz

Some basic info, please.
ML build: Which one?
RAW2DNG.EXE: Version used?
Error messages?
OS running?

windh

Sorry.

ML: Nightly May 6th 2014.

Raw2dng: no idea, I think its from April of this year.

No error messages, it just quickly opens the console window and just shuts it down again.

Using Windows 8.0

Walter Schulz

Do you have RAW2DNG.EXE in the same directory where the video files are?
If not: Do so.
Open Explorer, locate directory, press shift key, open context menu. You will find an entry "Open Command Window Here"
If you select this a black window with some white letters will pop up. Now type
RAW2DNG.EXE NameOfYourFile.RAW
and press enter key.

Report messages. You can copy contents by using context menu inside this window, mark with mouse and then pressing ENTER (not CTRL-C!). Content is now buffered and can be copied here by CTRL-V.

Ciao
Walter

windh

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 19, 2014, 09:28:27 PM
Do you have RAW2DNG.EXE in the same directory where the video files are?
If not: Do so.
Open Explorer, locate directory, press shift key, open context menu. You will find an entry "Open Command Window Here"
If you select this a black window with some white letters will pop up. Now type
RAW2DNG.EXE NameOfYourFile.RAW
and press enter key.

Report messages. You can copy contents by using context menu inside this window, mark with mouse and then pressing ENTER (not CTRL-C!). Content is now buffered and can be copied here by CTRL-V.

Ciao
Walter

Hi Walter. I did this and got the message: "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file".

I'd like to point out that the shorter clips worked fine. And the long ones looked OK in ML-playback.

Walter Schulz

Just did a quick test with last RAW2DNG and a 4.3 GByte file. Exact file size: 4 848 451 776 Bytes. Worked well.

1. Download latest RAW2DNG.EXE and try again. Found here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.msg34757#msg34757

If it doesn't work:
2. Further information needed:
- Exact file size
- Which file systems used
  - Card: Exfat or FAT32?
  - Drive: NTFS, I suppose?
- Method used to transfer files?
- Is this the first time you have troubles with RAW files > 2 GByte on this machine? If so: Anything changed since last success?

Ciao
Walter

windh

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 19, 2014, 10:16:04 PM
Just did a quick test with last RAW2DNG and a 4.3 GByte file. Exact file size: 4 848 451 776 Bytes. Worked well.

1. Download latest RAW2DNG.EXE and try again. Found here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.msg34757#msg34757

If it doesn't work:
2. Further information needed:
- Exact file size
  - Card: Exfat or FAT32?
  - Drive: NTFS, I suppose?
- Method used to transfer files?
- Is this the first time you have troubles with RAW files > 2 GByte on this machine? If so: Anything changed since last success?

Ciao
Walter

Downloaded the latest version, still not working:

- Exact file size
  - Card: Exfat or FAT32?  The Card is a SanDisk 32 GB 160 MB/s, out of the box.
  - Drive: NTFS, I suppose? Yes, both the transfer used and the internal media storage disks are NFTS.
- Method used to transfer files? I copied the raw+"RXX.rar" files directly from my SanDisk card onto my transfer disk out on the field. Then from the transfer disk to the media drive when back home.

- Is this the first time you have troubles with RAW files > 2 GByte on this machine? If so: Anything changed since last success? I think this is the first time that I've ever made any longer raw takes. (only been at it a couple of months  :) )

I read that the Mac version has had issues with larger files: "raw2dgn.app
More info on the GUI version discussion topic

raw2dng
Osx command line

Know issues
- Can't convert file bigger than 2Gb."

Walter Schulz

Off-topic: It is not necessary to quote my post in full all the time. And we're the only participants in this thread and there is little chance for confusion.

BOT: I suppose the card is wipped clean now and the original file is therefore gone for good?

If you're ready for some tests you may generate some video files > 2 GB. Now transfer them using your workflow as described. Try to convert and report results.
If this one fails, too: Transfer files from card to media drive without transfer disk. Results?

It is no use to be troubled about problems with RAW2DNG running on an OS you're not using.

Ciao
Walter

windh

Yes, the card is wiped clean, no original files on the CF card.

Looking at some of my files here I realize that I've been able to convert files that's been over 3 GB, so I guess there's something else going on.

The ones that does not work are all the same size, 4,194,304 KB... There are a few files with different names with this size. It seems like there's been some sort of file-splitting going on... I guess in the CF card? But once again, they did play in ML-playback...  :-[

windh

Looked at merging large Raw-files here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6143.0

Seems to be working with the File Joiner.