5d2 with feb 16th build- no sound

Started by fauxtoejoe, July 17, 2014, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxtoejoe

I am having trouble with sound recording on a 5d2-feb 16th build.
My settings are this:
FPS override OFF
MLV sound ON
In the Canon menu I've tried sound recording set to manual as well as disable.

I'm expecting to find a separate WAV file, but all I get is the MLV file and a mlv_rec.tmp
All the posts I've read about enabling sound seem to be working with different menu options than I have,
has anyone recorded sound with this build on a 5d2?
ANY suggestions appreciated.

jimmyD30

When recording mlv the sound file (.wav) is embedded in the .mlv file, not seperate. When you process the .mlv file into DNGs then the seperate audio file is created.

The only expection that I'm aware of is with the 5DM3, where you can write image data to the CF card and audio seperately to the SD card for higher performance.

fauxtoejoe

Thanks jimmyd30. I tried that to no avail. Maybe I'm missing something in my workflow...
I'm using mlv2dng to create the DNGs (is this outdated or incapable of separating out the WAV?)
I recently switched from raw2dng (I know, I'm way behind the curve) and noticed that instead of getting a frame count along with image dimensions ect within the dialog box, I now get an error message:
Exception! Header not recognized: 'STYL'
Exception! Header not recognized: 'WAVI'
Exception! Header not recognized:'AUDF'
then a whole string of the 'AUDF' error.

All the dngs are still generated just fine. But no wav. :-\

jimmyD30

Try using one of the more automated apps for extracting DNGs, maybe with the command line tools you're not using a needed input parameter (just guessing here), but with the apps (MLV Mystic, MLRawViewer, MLRawBrowser, RawMagic, etc.) they might produce the results you're looking for.

Otherwise it's probably something you're doing in-camera, try resetting all Canon settings to defaults and reinstalling ML build, delete ALL ML files then copy over latest ML build.

jimmyD30

UPDATE: Do you have the mlv_snd.mo module loaded?

fauxtoejoe

Yep, I've had the sound module loaded, it seems you were right. I used MLRawViewer and now there is sound! Thanks for the help.

fauxtoejoe

I may have spoke too soon...there are now issues with the syncing of the .wav and the video. I remember reading something about syncing audio that had to do with the fps of the video not matching the rate that the .wav was recorded, (?) of course I can't find any of those threads now...
I shot the video at 23.976 fps
used MLRAWViewer to create DNGs
Grade the DNG in LR and export Tiffs
I open the TIFF sequence in QuickTime Player 7 at 23.976fps and export the MOV.
when I open this MOV in Premier with the corresponding WAV file the audio is lagging by about 13 frames.

If anyone could point me to relevant threads (or point out the no doubt obvious mistake I'm making)...