Getting higher resolution at low FPS in RAW video

Started by 1anl, July 19, 2014, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1anl

A New user of Magic Lantern. I have spent some time reading and searching the forum and got a lot of useful information but I have been unable to find an answer to the following, so please excuse me if my question has been previoulsy addressed.

I have a 500D and have been using the nightly builds, currently running July18.500D111.
I have been playing with time lapse using the video mode and want to move on to RAW time lapse. I understand the speed limits the card can impose.

I set up the camera for 1FPS and wanted to set the resolution to 1920 but at the bottom of the screen I see the following text.

1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1568)
Write speed needed: 1.6MB/S at 1FPS.

Apart of the potential card write speed what else limits not being able to record at a higher resolution at a low frame rate.

Have I overlooked something? are there settings I have overlooked that need to be change or is 1586 fixed?

Thanks

Sc0Bee

Canon 500D, 7D | Lightroom 5 | Photoshop CS5 | Premiere Pro CS4 | After Effects CS4

dmilligan

Midphase

Quote from: 1anl on July 19, 2014, 01:56:10 PM
I set up the camera for 1FPS and wanted to set the resolution to 1920 but at the bottom of the screen I see the following text.

At 1FPS, you're essentially doing time lapse photography and could just set up the intervallometer to do that and get yourself 4K resolution to boot.

The link shows a new methodology to do so without shutter actuations, but IMHO if you're not too concerned with shutter actuations, then the intervallometer method should work just fine.

1anl

Sc0Bee. You are right, mind blown, now trying to find the pieces. The camera is capturing silently away great. Will try some outdoor shots hopefully tomorrow.

dmilligan. Thanks for that tip.

Midphase. Thanks, I had gone down the time lapse photography route but I did not like the idea of the shutter going every few seconds and wearing out  in days rather than years. The  silent mode pointed to by ScOBee looks to be the answer.

Thanks for all getting back to me.

dmilligan

Quote from: 1anl on July 19, 2014, 09:50:23 PM
but I did not like the idea of the shutter going every few seconds and wearing out  in days rather than years.

I think you mean years rather than decades. I shoot timelapse all the time on my 1100D (and astro which is very similar, stacking hundreds of subexposures). I've had it for almost 3 years now, I'm probably not even half way through shutter life.