Steadicam: Flycam Nano Vs Arc Stabilizer

Started by 1%, August 19, 2012, 06:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateBrot

I don't like the arc style because i can't turn it by 360°
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

Malcolm Debono

The Flycam Nano is quite good for its price. Although I don't use it that much, I do get some nice shots when using it with the 60D and the 10-22. I cannot compare it with the other one though as I have never tried it.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Michael Zöller

Has anyone successfully used those systems for more than 2 minutes? I find most stabilizers, when equipped with my 5d are just too heavy to use properly. I own a Glidecam btw.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

1%

The weight limit is a little interesting. Some places say 700G for the flycam, some say 1500g. The arc the one on ebay says 2kg. Small lenses only?

Glidecam is 2x the price and looks similar but:

QuoteAlthough I don't use it that much

At ~$499 this would give me some buyers remorse. The advantage I see with the arc stabilizer is that you can bring it more places. It has a chance to fit in a camera bag, not just for planned shoots.

Quotei can't turn it by 360°

I've used a home made one and there was a little side to side bobbing too, or camera would balance crooked and list to the side. That probably speaks more to the poor construction of the stabilizer but will a factory made one do something similar because of design?

DFM

Personally I prefer the Flycam styles, but the Nano is pushing it with a full DSLR setup on top, which is why they do a whole series (the 3000 is a better choice for the weight of a DSLR with pro glass, it'll even cope with rails and a FF).

One advantage of a vertical stick is that you can put stuff on the bottom sled, such as a battery pack and monitor (the more you put on the bottom the more you can then put on top). If weight becomes a pain - and it will - then you can always add an arm brace and vest.

As to the 'not using it much' - I think a lot of people new to DSLR video are tempted by the blog chatter about these things, but look at the motion picture sector in comparison. We fly things, but it's very much a last resort because it creates far more problems than it solves - sliders, dollies and cranes all come first. Flying only makes sense if the camera is tracking a fixed horizon at a fixed distance - you can pan with some care but you cannot tilt at all. You have no access to the camera controls, you can't zoom or pull focus without an electronic FF and balanced lens. You can't even look through a loupe, so outdoors you'll want an external monitor.

If you're standing still, you're always better off with a tripod or monopod. In a studio a dolly cart or crane are more flexible - I know cranes are expensive but given a decent floor you can dolly off anything with wheels (a DIY dolly cart is insanely simple compared to a DIY flyer). Flying works as a follow shot if the camera has to walk through a street or around a building and you can't use a cart for space reasons, but try walking around with your eyes fixed level; it's a strange viewpoint on the world so it only works for short cuts. Doesn't matter if you're using a Flycam or Steadicam, it always takes a while to balance these things so if time is an issue (e.g. event shooting) you may miss your only chance to capture the action unless you have multiple cameras in play.

Flyers have their uses; if you're filming interiors for real estate commercials it's going to be easier to get one through the doors, but buying one won't make your footage any better - just different - and it'll take a while to become proficient.

1%

Already have a a tripod + DIY dolly. Thought about getting a new tripod with the wheels (weifeng makes one) to lighten the load but then it won't be on rails. Their cranes are pretty cheap too and can combine with the wheel tripod.

You bring up lots of good points on why steadicam isn't all that practical. People still ask for them though, I think money can be made being a decent operator and catering to that demand.

Quotebut buying one won't make your footage any better

I'm just looking to ditch the shake from impromptu shooting. Going to get a stick to throw in my bag regardless, the arc stabilizer might fit there... fly cam will not. It would be an additional piece of gear to bring along.

DFM

Purpose-built dolly carts tend to be very expensive for what they are, but a tripod dolly is the opposite - there are certainly some scary prices on the top brands ($500+) but the likes of Velbon and Fancier typically sell for under $40, and it'd be hard to make one yourself for that price.

You're correct, a top-line Steadicam operator can charge a decent rate - but it's a very specific market, they won't usually be flying DSLRs, and the DP expects them to come with gear. You're looking at $100k for a full rig excluding the camera.

For impromptu stuff in one spot when a full tripod isn't practical, I find a monopod with a fluid head (without the handle) is a good compromise. You can plant it on the ground or shorten the stick and tuck it into your pocket - allied with a neck strap you can be reasonably stable if you breathe right, and you're still able to focus, pan and tilt.

3pointedit

Flycams and their like are good for pretty much one shot. A push in or pull back, no turning, no tracking (subjects). That is when the shot falls apart. Is it worth the expense for a single high value shot? Jibs are about the same, a one trick pony, but the shot looks terrific!.

It's all a trade off I guess.
550D on ML-roids

bart

I had a flycam nano but had a really hard time stabilizing it. I never had a real satisfying shot out of it. It gets off balance very easy so you never end fine tuning it. I think it's a terrible piece of equipment for DSLR and sold it within weeks. I now use the stillmotion monopod trick for more dynamic shots or let the subject move in the frame with the camera on a tripod. And I can follow a subject with a crane like tool. Not one long shot but several edited together.

reddono

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Videogolfo

I have a flycam nano and for the price it's a great piece of gear, however, be prepare to expend time and I mean a lot of time to learn how to balance it and then lern how to fly it, once you pass all that it'll gives you impressive results, here's a good sample, shooted it by myself (flycam nano,canon 550D,canon 18-55mm) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXyogxLmF8

dude

Uh,please nerver buy a flycam!
They are not well built, screws are not in the middle and things like this. you will never get the perfect balance! If you want to spend money on it, safe it and get a stick, that s pretty much the same.

Have you ever heared of glidecam? they are cheap, but very good built.

Malcolm Debono

I actually found the flycam quite good with a 60D and 10-22. You just need to tweak it a bit and stick a quick release plate on it, so that after finding the right balance you can quickly take the camera on and off instead of loosing your settings.

PS: cheesycam has some pretty good articles/tutorials about stabilizers
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

stacieswansoN

Quote from: Videogolfo on November 06, 2012, 04:55:55 PM
I have a flycam nano and for the price it's a great piece of gear, however, be prepare to expend time and I mean a lot of time to learn how to balance it and then lern how to fly it, once you pass all that it'll gives you impressive results, here's a good sample, shooted it by myself (flycam nano,canon 550D,canon 18-55mm) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXyogxLmF8

wow !!! nice video...
will you please tell me what it the weighing capacity of this stabilizer..?

D_Odell

Well non of them is Stedicam. I took a Tiffen course in Steadicam, and boy a real steadicam owns them again and agin.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie