5DMKIII RAW + Atomos Ninja Blade

Started by Zapiano, July 18, 2014, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapiano

Hello!

Just a quick question!

Is there any way at all to record 5DMKIII Raw onto an external recorder such as the Atomos Ninja Blade?

If not... What are the current capabilities for 5D Raw footage to the Atomos Recorder?

Can i record Raw internally to the 5D "cf card" -- ASWELL AS --recording 10 bit to the atomos? at the same time?

can i also still use my atomos for zebra, focus peaking etc whilst recording raw internally to a cf card?

Thankyou! :)

jimmyD30

I believe the best you can record to Atomos Ninja is ProRes 422 10-bit, no RAW record to ninja >:(

budafilms

Quote from: Zapiano on July 18, 2014, 09:28:01 PM
Hello!

Just a quick question!

Is there any way at all to record 5DMKIII Raw onto an external recorder such as the Atomos Ninja Blade?

If not... What are the current capabilities for 5D Raw footage to the Atomos Recorder?

Can i record Raw internally to the 5D "cf card" -- ASWELL AS --recording 10 bit to the atomos? at the same time?

can i also still use my atomos for zebra, focus peaking etc whilst recording raw internally to a cf card?

Thankyou! :)

No Ninja or any recorder for RAW. Only CF Cards.
Just use the YCBR from Canon. It's good!

Zapiano

Thankyou for the quick replies :)

Okay so now I understand,
Definitely cannot record over 10 bit to the atomos! :( boo haha
Just Proress 10bit.

As for the Raw, whilst I'm recording Raw to my CF cards... Can I use my Atomos to record 10 bit symaltaniously? So there would two recordings going on at once. 14bit Raw to CF and 10 Bit to the Atomos. Only reason I ask is I want to use the atomos for focus peaking and Zebra and all that shiz :) or will I be stuck to using the 5Ds menu when I use ML raw?

Thankyou :)

jimmyD30

There are probably only a few forum members that can answer that question reliably, and only one that I know of @reddeercity

Steven

Simultaneous recording is possible with the 1.2.3 firmware. Only draw back is that all overlays (not the menu) are deactivated on the 5Ds internal screen while a hdmi connection is active.
And the hdmi gives you only 8bit 422 not 10bit 422.
I think the triggering doesnt work yet.

Zapiano

Thankyou for the replies again :)

Is it really worth it getting an Atomos? Or should I just invest in CF cards ? And shoot Raw?!
And just get a a good quality HDMI screen for external field monitor ?
If Raw is really better wouldn't that be the best option?

Steven

Zapiano

Okay so lets say i decide to shoot raw, will i still be able to use my atomos for external monitoring ? and use all the functions of the atomos for focus peaking etc.?

Zapiano

Thankyou :)

That's good to know :)
I'm all new to Shooting Raw, in your opinion, what's the best CF card to buy and how long can I record for on a single CF card? Thankyou :)

SiSS

Hey Zapiano, did you pick up Atomos Ninja or other solution?
I'm interested to hear about monitoring.

Thanks,
S

DirNik

There are some issue with the Atomos Ninja Blade and ML Raw 50fps.

Everything ok with 24 - 25 fps, but when I switch the 50-60fps mode, the classic screen of ML doesn't appear ( like in the 24fps does ).
Any suggestion? I've got the 1.2.3. Firmware and the latest 1.2.3. ML built! HELP

Etrocal

Seems there hasn't been a straight answer to this actually, if I'm shooting MLRAW onto a CF card and using a Ninja Blade as a monitor can I record the 10bit Prores that the Ninja offers without killing the RAW capabilities?  Because if so that'd be a great backup while ML1.23 is still as bleeding edge as it is
5d mkiii - 6d - Canon 24-105mmL, 85mm 1.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8  -  and a boatload of accessories

ImaXineria

I use:
Atomos ninja blade
5d3 with Cf sandisk
SmallHD
And i record without any issue, raw on camera proress on atomos (the fatest proress)
Only have to press record on each one but all works flawless
I use smallhd to frame and focus (because ninja record full size hdmi eventhoug my raw is 2.40:1 or so and i not have any reference)
I use raw for tv comercial, short film, theatrical realese, and proress for tv show, documentary or lowpaid

Etrocal

5d mkiii - 6d - Canon 24-105mmL, 85mm 1.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8  -  and a boatload of accessories

CineRAW

@ImaXineria

Are you still using the same setup? Do you have some videos we can see of your workflow?

thanks