Archive mlv/raw or DNGs?

Started by Frank7D, July 14, 2014, 06:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

I want to preserve my source files for my projects to allow future uses. Is there any reason to keep the raw/mlv files as opposed to the DNGs I extracted from them?

BushanBengaluru

I archive mlv.. Easy and faster file transfer as it's a single file..

baldand

Quote from: Frank7D on July 14, 2014, 06:53:30 PM
I want to preserve my source files for my projects to allow future uses. Is there any reason to keep the raw/mlv files as opposed to the DNGs I extracted from them?

- MLV's at least have a lot of metadata in them and, depending on the DNG exporting used, not all of it may have made it into the DNGs
- If you have applied some stripe correction algorithm, and someone comes up with a better one in the future, you may not be able to use the better one on the old files since you no longer have the original data
- They are way more manageable than a directory full of DNGs

dpjpandone

On the other hand, dng is compatible with all systems, and if anyone ever needs something from your archives (including you) there will be less fuss getting that footage for a production that may not use mlv conversion apps as part of its normal workflow. I guess it depends on who/what you are archiving for.

Frank7D

Thanks for the answers. It sounds like the weight of prudence points towards MLVs. The only downside I see is I have to extract DNGs again to use the footage in future, so a cost of time (unless NLEs start handling MLV directly at some point).

marekk

Prores 4444 with Cinelog or VisionLOG

pv25pv

i also keep the exported dnxhd files with visionlog profile..its a good file :)
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX