Changing massive amount of dng files with exif tool

Started by Africashot, July 14, 2014, 08:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

Here is my problem: I shot an interview a while ago and have a long .raw file that had to be joined as the it was originally split over several files. I am on a mac and realized that the raw2dng app sometimes doesn't see joined files as supported (it does in some cases, in others not, still haven't figured out why...) MLRawviewer does however seem to convert them fine. The problem is that MLRawviewer  however does not appear to append the correct Camera type data to the dng files and consequently the footage can not be turned into log using the vision log profile which I need to do in order to match it with the rest of my footage.
Therefore I a now trying to amend the dng files converted with MLRawviewer using exiftool to get to enter the right camera data in order to be able to convert them to log, (cause I am way in over my head with this already) but I really can't seem to understand how to get this done, can anyone guide me through the process of how to attach the right camera data to dng files using the exiftool on a mac? thanks a lot in advance!
ML 5D2 & T3i

a1ex

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11100.msg108098#msg108098

(from the thread title I thought the speed of exiftool is a problem, and I was going to suggest exiv2 - but the syntax is different)

Africashot

Thanks a lot for pointing this out a1ex, however I am still stuck... (please forgive my ignorance) I get as far as opening exif in terminal and opening the first dng file, I can see where it says "camera model name : Canon EOS" I assume it should say Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but I can't seem to change this by typing it as it only directs me to a new command line, also is there a way to batch convert all files? Sorry again, this is just way out of my league...
ML 5D2 & T3i

baldand

You should check what value raw2dng is setting that was working correctly with the Vision Log profile.

RAW files don't contain metadata about the body, so it is probably setting the default "Canikon" value, and that may be what Vision Log expects.

Africashot

Thanks Baldland, yes you are right; raw2dng seems to call it Canikon and Visionlog seems to need that to work, but how do I change this on 2000+ frames now? Thanks again for your help!
ML 5D2 & T3i

baldand

A1ex's link gave this example:

exiftool -progress -overwrite_original -r -Model="Canon EOS 5D Mark III" -UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 5D Mark III" (foldername or filename to process)

You probably need to change the parts in quotes to "Canikon", and give it the name of the folder containing all the DNG files so it processes them all.

Africashot

Renaming them worked like a charm; thanks for that! However when opened in Camera Raw it still doesn't pick the vision log profile... now I am puzzled! I keep digging and see if I can find out why...
UPDATE: It works, just had a typo in it! Thanks again, saved my day!
ML 5D2 & T3i