Compiled list of card speeds

Started by Audionut, July 13, 2014, 01:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

my 64GB Lexar 1066X tested in 5D3 benchmark speed up to 121MB/s write.
:) :) :) :)

Walter Schulz

Build used?
You will find a file BENCHx.PPM on card root. Convert it to PNG or JPEG, upload it somewhere and link it here, please.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: [email protected] on September 25, 2017, 02:20:04 PM
my 64GB Lexar 1066X tested in 5D3 benchmark speed up to 121MB/s write.
:) :) :) :)

Screenshots please?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

oKKo

Hello everyone.

I've ordered komputerbay 64gb 1066x cf card from amazon. I want to use with sd card for the best quality. Is there a scheme or tutorial to show how should the settings be?

thanks.

AF-OFF

Just bought for €25+shipping this sdxc card - Sandisk extreme pro, because I was curious about the claimed speed of (up to) 170MB/s

I've tested with Danne's build crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Apr09.EOSM202
and achieved speeds around 56 MB/s in the 2.5k preset.
In the cardreader Transcend TS-RDF8K I've run the blackmagic diskspeed test which were 75MB/s Write And 79MB/s Read, and used also the F3X soft to test the Card, which test it passed, however the sustained writespeed was around 72 MB/sec.

Even this card doesn't perform as advertised, I think I will keep it.

Walter Schulz

170 MByte/s mode is proprietary SanDisk. SanDisk doesn't keep it a secret this mode is available using some of their own cardreaders only. And it is read rate. They are a tad slower in write mode compared to fastest "conventional" cards supporting UHS104 mode only (when used in devices following SD Association specs).
See https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com for details.

F3X isn't build for speed and will not tell you card's top performance.

2blackbar

Is it gonna make a difference if i buy this uhs-ii card for canon M ?
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sony-m-series-128gb-sdxc-uhs-ii-memory-card/
Currently i have canvas go 64gb with 45write speed but from diskmark test it shows 69-70mb.
I cant benchmark in cam in current M build with sd hack cause theres no bench.mo and old one is not comaptible.

Walter Schulz

Pretty slow for an UHS-II card. Write mode maxes out at about 100 MByte/s in UHS-II readers and 81 MByte/s in UHS-I.

Cannot say how UHS-II cards in UHS-I compatibility mode are compatible with overclocking a la ML. Anyone tried?
Maybe a1ex or nikfreak are able to tell.

2blackbar

yeah thats what i was interested with, so it wont even hit uhs-i limit of 100mb in its uhs-i mode?
If its just 81 mb then just 10mb more than what i have at twice the price.
So is there some known sdxc card that will hit maximum limit of 100mb writing speed on canon M ?
I dont want to buy card thats gonna be crippled by camera anyway and costs 2-3 times as much while i gain 30MB.
I chose slow one cause i read about uhs-i limit being 100, so no reason to buy faster ones anyway for my cam ?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: 2blackbar on April 21, 2019, 09:08:48 PM
So is there some known sdxc card that will hit maximum limit of 100mb writing speed on canon M ?

No.

This is the fastest one within pure UHS-I specs according to SD Association (without SanDisk's proprietary wizardry): https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-95mbs-uhs-i-64gb-sdxc-memory-card/

2blackbar

Thanks Walter i think ill buy it

inlikeflint

Canon M
Current card SanDisk Extreme 80MB/s U-1 Class-10 64GB (SDHC card)

Looking to buy a new SDHC card and contacted Canon about getting a newer higher speed card for the camera. Canon customer service replied with, "Good luck, Bro!"  (Not the exact wording...)

So, my question is; for those using ML and the Canon M... has anybody had better results with a higher speed card, or should I just stick with the same card because it is dirt cheap to do so?

I skimmed the last page here and see someone in the above threads is using a 95MB/s U-II (I'm supposing that all these SDHC cards are backward compatible).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: inlikeflint on October 11, 2019, 08:45:27 PM
Current card SanDisk Extreme 80MB/s U-1 Class-10 64GB (SDHC card)

Picture, please!
Pretty sure there is no card matching this description. "U-1" does not exist, it's either UHS-I (interface type) or U3 (UHS speed class). If it is indeed U1 you should get a faster card easily ...
"U-II" does not exist either. Because there is no U2 designation it can be determined you meant to write UHS-II. But there is no Sandisk card with UHS-II interface and 95 MB/s written on label.

Cam's card interface is SDR50 or DDR50 -> 50 MByte/s transfer rate (theoretical). With overclocking we get transfer rates above 65 MByte/s (benchmark only, not possible in RL recording) compared to about 38 MByte/s write rate for continuous recording.

Do yourself a favor and benchmark your card with a decent cardreader and programs like CrystalDiskmark (Windows) or BlackMagic Disk Speed Test (macOS).

Browse www.cameramemoryspeed.com for some benchmark numbers. For UHS-II cards you have to find out which cardreader does not support UHS-II to get the numbers for UHS-I compatibility mode.

Wushuliu

Just benchmarked two cards for my EOS M2:

Using Transcend USB3.0 card reader and CrystalDiskMark:

SanDisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s 128GB = R 94mb/s and W 84mb/s.
*No problem running continuous 14bit lossless MCM Rewired at 1736*976

SanDisk Extreme Plus MicroSD/Adapter 170mb/s 128GB = R 93mb/s and W 85mb/s

For anyone who is a member or knows someone, the 128GB Extreme Plus w/adapter is available in a 2-pack from Costco for only $45 (USA) (for both). Great deal.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Wushuliu on October 15, 2019, 01:51:05 AM
SanDisk Extreme Plus MicroSD/Adapter 170mb/s 128GB = R 93mb/s and W 85mb/s

For anyone who is a member or knows someone, the 128GB Extreme Plus w/adapter is available in a 2-pack from Costco for only $45 (USA) (for both). Great deal.

Are you serious? Even the MicroSD while using the adapter doesn't bottle neck the writing speeds at all? I'm surprised...

Will definitely borrow one from work and give this a test run just to see. I mean that is def a great deal from Costco.  :-X
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

A Micro-SD adapter contains just a few millimeters wire. Doesn't offer a lot of opportunity to mess things up IMO and according to my limited experience ...

yokashin

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Wushuliu

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 15, 2019, 06:02:40 PM
Are you serious? Even the MicroSD while using the adapter doesn't bottle neck the writing speeds at all? I'm surprised...

The Extreme Plus MicroSD 80 is ranked just behind the Extreme 95 Pro in the 6D memory test on the CMS website. That's why I thought it was worth getting the Costco 170. I assume they used an adapter for the test.:

QuoteSpeed tests with and without the adapter in readers with both slots provide virtually identical results (microSD to SD adapters are simple pass-though devices).

The microSDHC version of the Extreme Plus outperformed the standard SD card version that was previously reviewed.

...In camera tests the 32GB Extreme Plus microSDHC posted some impressive results. In some cameras it is among the top performing cards.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-6d/sd-card-comparison/

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-plus-80mbs-32gb-micro-sdhc-memory-card/

Whr

500D 1.1.1 & X-T3

wmtr

New to the forum, here to post some findings. Just got my first Eos M and I have some sd/micro sd cards laying around, before I buy a new one I thought I would test them out first.

Samsung EVO select microsd 128GB,   160Mhz gives best results @ 54.5MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, which is the only mode I need, this card runs about $20 on amazon.
Samsung EVO select microsd 256GB,   192Mhz gives best results @ 56MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, this card currently sells at $35 on amazon, I got it when it was on sale at $25.
sandisk extreme Pro 95MB/s 32Gb,      192Mhz gives best results @ 44MB/s, just about barely enough for 1080p at 14bit.
SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC, this card is a no no, it barely goes above 20MB/s, so not enough for magic lantern.
Patriot LX Series 64GB, slightly better than Sandisk Ultra, goes to about 28MB/s, still not enough for magic lantern.

So shooting at 1080p 16:9 at 14bit, you are gonna need at least 41 MB/S writing speed. A 64GB card is gonna give you around 20minutes of footage, 128GB 40min, 256GB 80min and so on so forth. Based on my personal experience, a 8-10 hours shooting day(story based short film), I usually get about 60-75 mins of actual footage on camera. So for me, 256GB is the minimum.

So if you are like me looking for a cheaper alternatives to the much praised but more expensive SanDisk Extreme PRO, samsung evo select is a pretty good contender, they are not as fast as Sandisk extreme pro, but  good enough for what I need.

Currently I'm waiting for a 256GB Samsung pro plus full size SD card to be delivered,  I got it when the price is marked down to $30 for 256GB size, not sure it's temporary or permanent. It's supposedly designed for 'professional' use so I expect it to be more durable and writes fast than the consumer grade EVO select. I will report back when I receive it.

wmtr

Samsung Pro Plus SD     for EOS M

Ok, got the Samsung Pro Plus sd card today (not the micro-sd version)

It's slightly better thatn evo select micro sd version but not by much.

160Mhz   writes at 54.8MB/s
192Mhz   writes at 59.7MB/s
240Mhz   writes at 19.7MB/s

so 192Mhz is the best fit. And since it's marked as 'professional', hopefully it will be more durable than evo select version.

bobolee

Quote from: wmtr on July 05, 2021, 08:57:57 PM
Samsung Pro Plus SD     for EOS M

Ok, got the Samsung Pro Plus sd card today (not the micro-sd version)

It's slightly better thatn evo select micro sd version but not by much.

160Mhz   writes at 54.8MB/s
192Mhz   writes at 59.7MB/s
240Mhz   writes at 19.7MB/s

so 192Mhz is the best fit. And since it's marked as 'professional', hopefully it will be more durable than evo select version.
My location is in China,I got the Samsung Pro Plus sdxc 512G tested today,very disappointed.This card will drop speed on eosm with sd overclocking .
ML version is "crop moon"april 18.The 240hz got very good result on either benchmarks and real raw recording at first.But after a minute or two,the R/W speed dropped to 20MB/s range,resulting a halt in recording.Do a off and on of the camera,the circle repeated.Changing the mode to 50 or the speed to 192MHz will not solve the problem.
By changing the buffer size in benchmark test ,I notice when the buffer size is bigger ,the recording speed seems to be normal,when the buffer size is smaller,the speed dropped to 20MB/s.
I also replaced another version of sd overclocking module file,it seems to be a little better,but the speed drop still existed.I will return the samsung ,get another card and continue to find the best priced card for ML.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Walter Schulz

Please copy fineprint on card backside. You will find a string like MB-MD512K
This will help cornering your issue.
Benchmark numbers using a cardreader are ok?
Also a card integrity test using h2testw (Windows) or F3 (or derivates with GUI) for Linux, macOS may be in order.

bobolee

I've seen two posts in the past that people are talking about the "pro plus"compatibility issues,One post showed the same speed drop issue,a developer tried to fixed in sd uhs.mo,the user test the new modual,reported to be fix,but not in my case. The other post said this card (maybe he's talking about the sd version of pro plus) is good at benchmarking but very bad for long recording,that I think he's talking about the same issue as mine here.
I bought this card from the official Samsung store on taobao.com,so I didn't even think about the fakes or other quality issue of the card,so I don't even tested it on computer.I don't know there's anything I can mess with it and get it to work,so I just give up and return it to the store,they have "7 days  return with no reason policy".I'm gonna just buy the sandisk extreme pro 170MB/s 256GB which is a little bit expensive than the 512GB pro plus, but I don't want go into trouble again. :'(256GB is able to store over a hour of 1080p raw video,so it is enough for me but not "do whatever I want" capacity.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

pepper_chip

Quote from: bobolee on April 28, 2023, 04:37:47 PM
My location is in China,I got the Samsung Pro Plus sdxc 512G tested today,very disappointed.This card will drop speed on eosm with sd overclocking .
ML version is "crop moon"april 18.The 240hz got very good result on either benchmarks and real raw recording at first.But after a minute or two,the R/W speed dropped to 20MB/s range,resulting a halt in recording.Do a off and on of the camera,the circle repeated.Changing the mode to 50 or the speed to 192MHz will not solve the problem.
By changing the buffer size in benchmark test ,I notice when the buffer size is bigger ,the recording speed seems to be normal,when the buffer size is smaller,the speed dropped to 20MB/s.
I also replaced another version of sd overclocking module file,it seems to be a little better,but the speed drop still existed.I will return the samsung ,get another card and continue to find the best priced card for ML.
Last card I'm buy is Samsung Pro Plus 256 gb micro SD version
Got around 80mb/s with 240mhz hack