Compiled list of card speeds

Started by Audionut, July 13, 2014, 01:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic5DmarkIII

I want to start trying raw video with my 5D Mark III. So far I have only SD cards and I want to buy a CF card for raw video.
I read mixed opinions on the forum, and recently the prices went down for brand names (Lexar and Sandisk). I wonder what's the current best choice from a price/reliability point.

Should I buy a Komputerbay card? Is there a difference in quality or reliability between Komputerbay 64 gb cards and 128gb cards? What speed? 1000x, 1050x or 1066x? I guess there must be users who have by now a long enough experience with them.

Are Lexar Professional 1066x or Sandisc Extreme Pro better than Komputerbay?

Thanks.

KMikhail

So far, I've been successful with 1066x 64gb from Lexar and 160mb/s 128gb from Sandisk. Though, none could do what I lusted fullhd @ 30fps, Lexar did it with help of spanning across CF+SD (LCD should be disabled via hack). 24fps worked fine for both. In fact, when hand held, I may shoot 1920x1152, to have extra space for software stabilization.

reddeercity

Will just testing my all my CF Cards (Lexar 1066x & 1000x) before I go and cover a outdoor Street performer festival  today, and to my amazement
my Lexar 32GB 1000X would not boot on my 5d2. Camera say needs to format, and in the card reader on PC same thing need to format, but can't say it only 32MB ! I guess the card is done, It was my fastest  :-[ .  I guess the Lexar Professional line have 10 year warranty , I guess I have send it in.
Make sure you test your cards , you just never know when that card will fail.

DeafEyeJedi

I agree. Thanks for the friendly reminder and today I just tested them all out just for the hell of it. You're a good influence and unfortunately one of my KB 128GB 1066x is currently showing a stuck red pixel at the same spot... Haven't seen this in awhile (years) and don't remember what's the best solution to remap them out or do I need to send it in for a replacement (I think KB has lifetime warranty)?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ajax19

Just got a 7D and I am a total raw video noob..
Read through this and many other threads, I'm still torn!

What should I go with?

64gb Lexar 1066x or 64gb Komputerbay 1066x?

Also are people still having issues with the 128gb KB cards?

mentos

Tested in T5i
<p><p/>

<p><p/>

<p><p/>

Walter Schulz

Please redo tests in playback mode. Press play button after starting benchmark.

MasamKilik

Hey guys, I'm new to RAW video too and have a couple questions. I'm about to buy a CF card for my 5D3 and need some guidance

Looking through the forums I see a lot info and would like some clairification

1) Is komputerbay 64gb 1066x the best card for raw out there?

2) Is the Lexar 64gb 1066x the same performance? (More stable, I think I read?)

3) How come no one talked about the Lexar 128gb 1066x, is it no good for RAW? Can the 5DM3 use a 128gb?

4) last question, I see the Lexar 64 and 128gb at 3400x on Amazon.ca but haven't seen anything about them in the forums? Won't those be the best?

I understand these are very noob questions but I'm having trouble finding those specific answers in the forums

Appreciate the help thanks!

Walter Schulz

4: Those are CFast cards. All ML supported cams are incompatible.

MasamKilik

Okay thanks that's definitely good to know. And the Lexar 128gb 1066x?? Any good? Is the komputerbay better?

TheRadziu

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb 95mb/s SDXC on Canon 700D

fir_nev

My virgin post.

Canon 650D. 1920 x 1080 @24fps

These are my results:

Dolphin Peripherals SDHC 16GB (I got it in Australia in late 2013)

SanDisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I 32GB 80MB/s

Edit: 2nd benchmark set in Playback
CANON 650D | TAKSTAR SGC-598 |

Pronin

EOS-6D, SD card, Lexar Professional 64GB 1000x

EOS-6D, SD card, WinTech Elite 32GB

Hope devs have some tricks left up their sleeves to overcome hardware limitations of file writing on 6D.

Walter Schulz

No, ML devs are not up to messing with Canon's hardware.
You get slighty higher numbers in Play mode (press Play button after starting benchmark) but you will be limited to about 41 MByte/s in write mode which is good for about 720p24 in RAW/MLV (continuous) or higher resolutions for short clips.

Pronin

Thanks for your reply Walter. Even 10 seconds of a 1824x764 RAW footage at a time is a godsend for a 6D :) Thanks to the ML team for their sleepless nights and enormous work.

Pronin

It appears Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDXC Memory Card has issues with ML (Nightly.2015Nov07.6D116). The card randomly becomes unreadable (lost partition) and requires full format. Everything gets lost including ML files on the card.
Windows error message says: "... is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

I tried restoring the partition, but the software I have could not even find the drive.

ML is solidly stable on my other card - WinTech Elite 32GB.
I wonder if the issue is related to UHS-I U1 vs UHS-II U3.

Pronin

Here's a report for 6D, SD card, WinTech Elite 32GB in Play mode:

Is it worth getting UHS-II 1900x cards for the sake of maximizing write speed consistency, e.g. getting close to average 43MB/s?

Walter Schulz

You won't see more than 42 MByte/s write speed and this is a benchmark just optimized for maximum card interface performance. Don't expect recording to go beyond 38 MByte/s without hickups regardless how fast the card might perform here.

On UHS-II: There is no Canon DSLR supporting UHS-II. All cards will used in their UHS-I mode. Some UHS-II cards do quite good in UHS-I but some just don't. Examples:

Panasonic MicroP2: About 38 MByte/s in write mode
SanDisk UHS-II: About 46 MByte/s in write mode.

See http://cameramemoryspeed.com

Pronin

Walter, thank you for the explanation & link.
What I'm curious about is whether those faster cards (1900x) can handle let's say 36MB/s at all buffer sizes. UHS-I cards can't, according to the posted in this thread results.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Pronin on November 13, 2015, 02:27:18 PM
What I'm curious about is whether those faster cards (1900x) can handle let's say 36MB/s at all buffer sizes.

No. And it doesn't matter at all no card can.

blitzkrieg666

7D on SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB (1067X, 160MB/S)

eyeland

Been using KB 64 1000x from one of the first batches since ML RAW came out.
Need some more cards now and noticed that Lexar 1066 64GB appears to be cheaper (~110$) than the cheapest 64GB x1000+ KB cards (~135$) (I am in Copenhagen and all the cheap KB cards are sent from outside EU meaning that they are subject to high import tax/VAT)
At 110$ vs 135$, have I missed a reason to not go with Lexar?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

Walter Schulz

1000x cards are actually more expensive than 1066x cards. So why do you want to buy something for a higher price with less performance?
And can't you order via Amazon Germany/UK?
KB 64 GB 1066x: 59€
KB 128 GB 1066x: 93€

eyeland

Thanks Walter, had a feeling that I was missing something :) Amazon.co.uk sells the KB 64GB x1000 at 55GBP incl. shipping so that seems to be the best deal I think.
I have been rather inactive on the forum in 2015 and this thread leaves me wondering if the KB x1000 64 really still is the king of CF for MLraw? The 128GB x1066 are rather cheap but I seem to remember that they were less stable than the x1000?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...