Canon 1200D

Started by akkotyni, July 12, 2014, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

The PLAY button was not opening submenus in previous builds.

Your report ("I don't think it has ever worked") contradicts previous reports.

Example:

Quote from: matija on September 07, 2017, 01:47:25 PM
Magic Zoom - OK, except in Full screen, then nothing happens

You could not select that option without the Q button in previous builds.

dterrahe

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2018, 12:21:05 PMYour report ("I don't think it has ever worked") contradicts previous reports.
I'm sorry I should have phrased that much much more carefully; I did not mean to give the wrong impression or create confusion. What I meant was that I don't think I have "ever" used the Q button for submenus. With "ever" being since I started helping Dan to get ML to run on the second hand 1200D with firmware 1.0.2 that I only bought a few months ago. I'd never used ML before, so I'm just starting to learn how it works and what it can do. What I meant was that I didn't want to imply that the Q button broke with the latest build or with the 1.0.2 firmware update, because I don't know if it used to work before. But since it seems from other reports that it did, my best guess would be the 1.0.2 update... But you probably should stop paying attention to me :-)

dfort

@dterrahe - You might try shooting a video showing how you're opening the ML submenus. I've done several videos to to clear things up.

a1ex

OK; if the "didn't work" part was meant just for the lua_fix builds from dfort, then it starts to make sense. Waiting for reports on 1100D/600D to know whether the same change applies to them as well, or not.

dterrahe

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2018, 07:33:40 PM
OK; if the "didn't work" part was meant just for the lua_fix builds from dfort, then it starts to make sense.

Can there be differences between the lua_fix build and the build you put on the main page in this regard?

I just downloaded yours and it exhibits the same (lack of) Q key behavior in menus for me.

dterrahe

Other quick question; when in movie mode, should I still be able to open the ML menu by pressing the AV/delete key? That doesn't seem to work, but only in movie mode. In M/Av/Tv/P mode it works.

Or do I have to use a different way to get into the menu when in movie mode?

dfort

Interesting -- so you get into the ML differently depending on whether you're in photo or movie mode?

I took my 1200D test builds down to make sure we're testing the current version from the official downloads page:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/1200D-102.html

a1ex

Movie mode: see replies #449/450. Maybe it matters if you use manual or auto exposure?

dterrahe

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2018, 09:17:34 PM
Movie mode: see replies #449/450. Maybe it matters if you use manual or auto exposure?

Thanks for referring me to those replies; they are very helpful. Maybe at some point I'll read the whole thread...

I'm seeing the same keycodes that Fredestroyer007 reported: 4c 61 61

Also, pressing&holding Trash and then pressing SET gets me into the menu.

The exposure settings indeed has an impact on this, but it seems the opposite from the situation as described in #460; the menu key works on its own if I change the exposure setting to Manual, but if exposure is Auto (the default) then I have to press Trash+Set.

a1ex

Does the auto exposure setting change the key codes? (in particular, the last digit)

dterrahe

Quote from: a1ex on May 03, 2018, 10:47:01 AM
Does the auto exposure setting change the key codes? (in particular, the last digit)

Hard to see the key codes coming by when the menu does come up. When I close the menu again, I see the following codes in the Event log: 4c 61 61 d 11 f 34 (this is when Exposure=Manual). If the first 3 are what calls up the menu, then it is the same as when Exposure=Auto (i.e. that also gives 4c 61 61, but no menu).

a1ex

You can keep the console open; the key codes should stay there. Refer to reply #450 to see how the last digit looks like.

dterrahe

Took some screenshots.

These two are in Manual Exposure mode. The first after pressing Trash, which opened the menu.

And the second after using Trash twice to open the menu and close it again. This shows more of the event log.

And this one is in Auto Exposure mode. Pressing Trash doesn't do anything.

a1ex

Fixes pushed; will let the nightly server do its job unnattended. Don't be scared if you'll see red all over the place tomorrow ( hopefully not :D )

dterrahe

Quickly tested Nightly.2018May04.1200D102.

Q key now works to get into and out of sub-menus. Thanks!

In movie mode with exposure=Auto, the trash key still doesn't work.

When switching on the camera, a message now flashes by to set Exposure=Manual. It is gone very fast, so I only noticed it the third time.

dterrahe

In LV, when I have the ML overlay active in picture mode, when I turn the wheel to change aperture, the underlying Canon overlay shows the changing settings and briefly clashes with the ML overlay, which also shows the same parameters.

I think this was discussed earlier in this threat but not sure if it was resolved for 1.0.1 or if there was a manual workaround.

dfort

The latest 1.0.2 version available on the downloads page should have this:

platform/1200D.102/internals.h
/** Use a patched LiveViewApp dialog hander to hide Canon bottom bar */
#define CONFIG_LVAPP_HACK_PATCH

Isn't it working?

dterrahe

Quote from: dfort on May 06, 2018, 06:58:36 PM
Isn't it working?

The screenshot was taken with the 2018May04 build, so I'm afraid it isn't working.

dfort

Where is @vanbov and @matija and some of the other users that have a 1200D and can compile? Looks like this camera is working fairly well with ML but needs a few more tweaks.

Raov

Quote from: dfort on May 09, 2018, 05:44:09 PM
Where is @vanbov and @matija and some of the other users that have a 1200D and can compile?
well I'm here but the camera isn't, sadly. (yet)
7D.203 + 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

dfort

@dterrahe - other than the Canon overlay issue, how is the camera handling? The auto exposure in movie mode issue should be resolved with the latest update.

There was a similar overlay issue on the 650D that might have been resolved by merging in the lua_fix branch or maybe it was the new-dryos-task-hooks branch. I'm not sure what "magically" resolved the issue.

dterrahe

Quote from: dfort on May 12, 2018, 03:45:36 PM
@dterrahe - other than the Canon overlay issue, how is the camera handling? The auto exposure in movie mode issue should be resolved with the latest update.

Sorry; it is still not working with the 2018May04 update.

Apart from this and overlay, I haven't encountered other issues so far. I've started experimenting a little with dual iso and raw video. They work, I think, but I'll need to learn more to get a real benefit.

dfort

Fun with editing:

Quote from: dterrahe on May 13, 2018, 12:52:39 PM
Sorry; it is still not working...I haven't encountered other issues...

:P

The overlay issue is also affecting other cameras. Annoying but mostly cosmetic, it doesn't really keep ML from functioning properly. The May 4 build has this commit that should give a warning if you have the camera set to movie auto mode.

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on May 13, 2018, 10:22:47 PM
The overlay issue is also affecting other cameras.

What other cameras?

The 650D issue is not the same, btw. Also I'm pretty sure it was not fixed, just the test conditions were different. It's still reproducible in QEMU, but the fix is not straightforward; 5D3 does the same on the silent-control branch.

dfort

I'm not saying it is the same but there are overlay issues on other cameras.

What is happening on the 1200D

Is different from the EOSM (bottom is fixed but not the top) -- These might be annoying but not showstoppers.