Canon 1200D

Started by akkotyni, July 12, 2014, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

AneMotion

It's a pity. Looks like THIS endeavor is going nowhere very slowly. Looks like we'd have to use the 1200D with the standard Canon Firmware until we can buy proper cameras.

BigMikeD

well...  it is a volunteer project provided free of cost.  to anyone who has contributed, thank you!  as far as the rebel t5 not being a real camera i say nay nay.  yes the 5d or the rebel 'I' models have more features,  i find the t5 is a great camera.  just dont have the intervalometer that i want.  i wish i knew more about coding so i could at least chip in a little.  either way,  hopefully this post will serve as a shameless bump to keep this up top for all of us.

mujebhafiz_5

Is someone working on it? [emoji53]

Walter Schulz

arod79sae

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1200D and am sad to see that there is no 1200D ML for it . Are there any others that have interest in working on this ? I have some coding experience and am willing to work on this but just need some general guidance on where to start and also if any work has been done that can be shared in order to speed the process up .

Thank you all in advanced for any help.

Arod79sae

Walter Schulz

Experience with embedded controllers (preferable ARM), assembler, C?

ToXiCRising

Hey
I am a young aspiring photographer and i just recently found out about ML. I was hooked from the first seccond of reading about it. But then i noticed that there is no support for my camera the EOS 1200D. And now i am writing this reply in the hope of any developers noticing it so that even beginners with beginner cameras can have this awesome add on.
Let`s hope that this idea will work and someone notices us.

mathias

Hello photographers!

I'm new at forum, and I want to keep moving the port for 1200d
I've been reading a bit about this, I see there's a lot of information distributed across the thread.
fjriosp has started the porting, but seems he stoped to work. Does anyone knows the work already done, what's missing, next steps and so on, in order not to start from zero again...

I know there's a lot of threads about developing, but gets confusing between ML developing and Porting developing. Whats needed for porting?
As far as I read, first, based on reverse engenieering find out STUBS. Ok, which are really important? all of them? After getting all stubs, then what's next? If there is already a post for this information and i didn't see it, please let me know!

Thanks to all!

arthurdebarros

Hi, I also would like to contribute to the 1200D port, but I have poor skills in embedded programing and all these reverse engineering stuff.
But I know work has been done already by some developers here, and I know how time consuming theses projects may be. So, I've got one idea of how everyone can contribute a little bit:

What if we suggest developers who already started this port to create a crowdfunding project (it could be kickstarter, indiegogo, another one I don't know...), where they define a team, the goal (port magic lantern to the 1200d) and budget, so we can make donations?  The 1200d is a very popular model. I'm sure there must be a lot of people interested in the ml port for this device. The more people contributing the more diluted the risk of the donation tends to become (in the case the goal could not be achieved).

So, lets do this  :) ?

Stedda

The developers have said on many occasions that they are against money being involved all you have to do is search to see that...

The project needs time, dedication, and people with experience not money.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

mathias

I think a lot of people with experience would like to participate and as my experience, we need to be leaded.
This means to know what was already done, what is needed to do for porting and with this information, define tasks so work can be easily distrubuted.

Many programers want to help, we need guidance on what to do...

dmilligan

Reply #35:
step 0: setup the toolchain
step 1: dump the firmware (see a couple posts back)
step 2: analyze/decompile the firmware dump to find function stubs
step 3: run it in QEMU
step 4: if you get this far, get in touch with a1ex to create a bootflag fir, so you can run on actual camera

see also: some of the porting work done by recently for 70D (look at the commit history and diffs):
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branch/70d-support
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/620/add-support-for-eos-70d-111-both-revisions/diff#

mathias

Help is needed

I've prepared a vmware with ubuntu lastest version
Cloned magic lantern
downloaded 4.8.3 toolchain  gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4-20131204-linux.tar.bz2 and unpaked at HOME
but now I am getting a werid error like file not found, this is my terminal output:

matias@ubuntu:~/magic-lantern/platform/1100D.105$ make
[ VERSION  ]   ../../platform/1100D.105/version.bin
[ AS       ]   entry.o
/bin/sh: 1: /home/matias/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.3: not found
../../Makefile.filerules:31: recipe for target 'entry.o' failed
make: *** [entry.o] Error 127
matias@ubuntu:~/magic-lantern/platform/1100D.105$ ls /home/matias/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.3 -l
-rwxr-xr-x 2 matias matias 621860 Dec  3  2013 /home/matias/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.3

Thanks a lot!

mk11174

Quotebut now I am getting a werid error like file not found, this is my terminal output:

Set toolchain up so folders are like this. Notice the directory these are in at top.

Create a Makefile.user file and add these line to it and make sure lines 3 to 6 are in yours, adjust other lines as you need for your setup. Don't touch Makefile.user.default file.

If you did everything else correctly, this should get it going.

I have used the prebuilt VM and it is great, only advantage of setting up your own seems to be you can choose a bigger hard drive size which you will need if you are experimenting alot like I was, you can resize it later on, but if done wrong, you will lose all your work. Also, another advantage is newest version of UBUNTU, but I dont notice any differ with newer versions.

I am using my own built version now just cause I wanted to start fresh when I got going again and saved my old VM just in case, but I dont see any differences, just more time setting it up then prebuilt, as a beginner, maybe best to start with prebuilt, but maybe not, cause it helps you learn your way around a bit.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

mathias

mk11174

did u run the scripts prepare.ubuntu.sh  and summon-arm

If no luck, I think it has something to do with the new version of UBUNTU, just get the 12.04 version and all should be fine if you run the scripts, I think theres an error during the summon-arm script with newer UBUNTU versions, it doesnt ever finish.

mathias

So I finally donwloaded the VM...

Then I was able to build everything, ML, dumped and dissaslebmed firmware and now i want to run it in qemu
So i downloaded qemu 1.6, but when I try to build it says, please configure first. but when running configure it throws error saying zlib is missing.
I tried to install them, with
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends build-dep qemu

but also gets a lot of 404 errors while donwloading...

help!!   :'( :'(

UPDATE:

I am far away of being a linux expert, in fact I don't even consider me as user  :P
Trying to use it with ubuntu was not posible, I reported those errors in previous post.
Downloaded vm (xubuntu 12) neither work, since ubuntu repositories were archived for this version, I can not install zlib...

Can any good guy sendme or re upload your already working vm? would be really useful!
I am spending more time trying to get a working environment than testing/developing!

Thanks and please send your working vm, wil save a lot of time!

mk11174

I still have the build I was working on last year, it still loads in QEMU, just retested it.

But no idea what to do with it from there, I dont even have that model, I was just helping out last year.

olivierrobespierre

Hey there, i just have read, that there might be some hands on a version for the 1200D?
If there is a nightly build i would like to test it. Do i need also the Qemu?
I have a OSX as standard-system. Does that run the tools to build a version, too?
A+

mathias

mk11174

the version of xubuntu of this is deprecated, so it's  imposible to download and install missing packages, can you upload your vm? I only need to have the environment working and all libs installed.

Would you upload it (compressed) to gdrive and share it? I'll download it asap so you can delete it from your drive, or just use other file sharing

Thanks a lot!

mk11174

Yeah, there was many packages to google to get this one going in ubuntu 12.0.4 to, took awhile, lol. But still works, I did upgrade ubuntu once, but was much slower, version 10 and 12 seemed to be the best for this when going through virtual box. I will clone this one and clean my clutter out and see if I can send it.

mk11174

I made a clone of it and zipped it up to try to keep send as small as possible, but its still 9gigs, that would be to big for me to send, it would take me days on my connection.

Maybe its best to just go new like I did, use ubuntu 12.0.4 32bit set it up for magic-lantern and when you go to install qemu, just pay attention to the warnings and errors, you will just need to good things you need as you go, and then install them.

Doing all this will be good practice for when you go to work on your camera port to figure things out.

Sorry though, I tried.  :(

TIGU1200D

So excited to see that's somebody is working on this! Cheers from Argentina, hope you can solve the problem with that VM and ubuntu. You are our hero!

mk11174

Hey, I could not zip up the VM because of filesize, but was able to create a tutorial step by step that should get you running.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJH5EmJ4Peqcd2rJ3krs15Sg_HBTbcduY