[SOLVED] Cropmarks for Global Draw Off

Started by Rewind, July 11, 2014, 06:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rewind

There was a vital feature back in the days in pravdomil's and a.d.'s builds — the cropmarks while recording with Global Draw off.
It is vital for low-end cameras, because of GD needs some processing power, and switching it off while recording gives several seconds of recording until skipping frame. But it is difficult to record without proper framing. Yeah, you can just stick some tape on the LCD but... you know, we are the serious guys right? ))

Here's what i'm talkling about:

This is how it looks while recording. I remeber, i built it in july 2013 with some additional changes and used to use it until nowdays.

I have no idea, why this wasn't included in unified, but I'd like to implement this nice feature at least in my builds, because it is the only reason which not allows me to call the nightlys "production-ready".

The problem is I can't find the source for that particular changes.

Related links:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.0
This thread is where I found this feature back in a day. It states from the beginning "mlv_rec: crop marks for GLDraw Off". It leads to the pravdomil's source:

https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/
But here in the sources of raw_rec module I can't find any traces of that feature.

First link thread is closed and pravdomil says in last post: "Only two features are remaining (1880 width and  crop marks for GLDraw Off), but this is small changes so there no reason why keep this fork updated."

So what I'm asking for is: please help me to find the source code of this feature, or give me some clues on how to implement it by myself (i'm not so great at ML's structure yet, but have some basic coding skills)

UPD. Found the source here:
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/src/371d7565bcee926b4b3c50010a9fc15c41f7e0fc/modules/raw_rec/raw_rec.c?at=unified

reddeercity

Not sure if this will help, but I use the oct24/2013 build from a.d. raw_moudule, with White triangle  Frame while recording raw.
I think it has the black frame you are talking about , this build is very fast & stable , Use it on a regulator bases. Also use it with HDMI.
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads/af9a60fe144d.zip

Rewind

Yes, thank you. I am aware of these builds. Now we need the source code.

Audionut

Quote from: reddeercity on July 11, 2014, 06:57:45 AM
Not sure if this will help, but I use the oct24/2013 build.

If I've missed it, can you please link to where you have done sufficient testing to show that newer builds are slower?

ML is a development project where we try and drive that project into the future.  And consistently advertising this older build is counter productive to that cause.

Thanks.

@ Rewind.  I had a quick look around when I noticed your other post, but couldn't find the source either.  Have you tried PM'ing pravdomil and/or a.d.?

Rewind

Quote from: Audionut on July 11, 2014, 07:24:56 AM
Have you tried PM'ing pravdomil and/or a.d.?

Just did it. Hope my sucky english won't irritate those helluva guys )

Rewind

Just found the source.
Didn't noticed, the branch can have multiple heads:

budafilms

HI, Someone has found the solution the get the black bars (16x9) when you press REC?
I only can see the camera icon green and yellow, and It's important the margins. Thanks!

Nuclearpeace

Hello,

I'm also interested in is there a way to use crop marks on common nightly build without global draw?

Thank you.

Lars Steenhoff

It would be nice to have this working, can't we just merge it in to a build :)

Lars Steenhoff

i see crop marks working in raw recording when i put it in the submenu global draw on.
This solves it for me.

nlhenry1

Lars:

Which build are you using? I don't have crop marks during recording with the nightly August 1.2.3 build (global draw on).

Walter Schulz

RAW_REC.mo or MLV_REC.mo? If MLV: You want to take a look into
Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV)
and change Global Draw from OFF to Allow

EDIT
Settings might be confusing.
There is a Global draw setting in Overlay tab, another one in RAW video (MLV) submenu and a third named Clear overlays in Display tab.

nlhenry1

Just now saw your reply, thanks Walter! I just missed the setting under the Raw video sub-menu.