Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Started by Audionut, July 10, 2014, 04:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Did you try my posted file from above now or which 20/21th August builds you talking about? The file posted by me is an actual build of "fullres-silent-pics" branch. So no official nightly...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

SKiD

---------
Canon 650D with ML

nikfreak

Ok then I can't help you atm. I can suggest you to retry by starting from scratch and deleting configs. If still no luck than report the bug on bitbucket to fullres-silent-pics branch

a1ex

nikfreak

SKiD

---------
Canon 650D with ML

SKiD

OK, it works, but when I shoot outside, images are overexposed. Even with maximum aperture and minimal time 1/4000s it is overexposed. I tried all modes (M/Av/Tv/P),  turned on/off almost every related feature (Exposure Simulation, FPS overdrive etc.) but nothing helps. Any ideas?
---------
Canon 650D with ML

Levas

Are you sure your diafragma/iris of your lens closes during the picture taking ? (Lock exposure simulation in ML menu, otherwise it shoots wide open)
Most camera have 1/3 second shutter time with full res silent pic.
ISO 100 and diafragma of 11 and a fast shutter time should do it.

If you're in doubt, use full res silent picture in video mode, video mode closes diafragma for sure.

SKiD

You are right, iris in photo mode doesn't  do enything when taking picture. But even in movie mode pictures are overexposed - not so much, but they are. Even when iris is closed.
---------
Canon 650D with ML

Levas

You need to put on the option "expo.override" in ML menu, this way the iris should close in photo mode.
And yes, fastest shutter time of about 300 milliseconds is long, so you may need a diafragma of 22 or use filters on your lens(neutral density or polarizer)
Or wait till it gets dark outside  ;)

dmilligan

@SKiD,

Read the full res silent pics discussion (carefully!), there are many limitations you need to be aware of, what you are experiencing is expected behavior. You'll need to use an ND filter or go somewhere dark like Levas says.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.0

SKiD

Thank you guys,
I misunderstood the information about capture speed (I thought it is saving time, not "shutter" speed). I noticed it isn't always the same or similar (usually from 230 to 260ms), once I even got to 530ms.
---------
Canon 650D with ML

ayshih

The printed time *is* the saving time, not the capture time, which is why there is variation.  I don't offhand know whether anyone has measured the rolling shutter time for the 650D (such as 5D2/5D3/6D/500D, 60D, and 50D), but it's probably ~0.3 ms.  The rolling shutter means that, not matter how fast a shutter speed you select, there will be a gradient of exposure from top to bottom, and the bottom of your frame will always be exposed at least ~0.3 ms.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

dpjpandone

I've been getting a lot of errors when I try to compile with the changes from pull request # 578

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/578/mlv_snd-merged-into-mlv_rec-and-enabled-by

I'd like to test this to provide feedback, if anyone is up to it, can you make zip with the changes for 7D, or 5D2?

Thanks!

a1ex

What errors? I've compiled the branch both as standalone and merged into unified, no errors.

dpjpandone

numerous errors that are probably due to me trying to manually copy/paste your changes into the files on my local copies of the affected files. Is there an easy way to just download the files that were changed so I can replace the files on my computer rather than doing it the hard way? (which I did wrong anyways) preferably through bitbucket online (not atlassian)

I know I should just bite the bullet and learn how to work with mercurial... I guess I'm being lazy. I'll just figure out how to do it the right way, because that will require less effort than convincing you to build a zip for me to test. Thanks for forcing me to become a more useful member of the community...

dmilligan

Quote from: dpjpandone on September 06, 2014, 09:26:07 PM
Is there an easy way to just download the files that were changed so I can replace the files on my computer rather than doing it the hard way?
This is the whole point of using version control (mercurial) and it's main purpose.

Start here: http://hginit.com
There's also a nice tutorial for TortoiseHG (a good GUI for mercurial) on this forum: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10774.0

dpjpandone

Thanks DMilligan. I am doing my homework now. I am developing under windows, so I guess I must use atlassian source tree. It's fine. thanks for the links.

dmilligan

PressureFM

Can anyone make a build with Pull Request #589 for the 5D Mark II, so we can test if it is faster on DIGIC4?

dpjpandone

Franz

Could anyone be so kind and please make a full res silent picture with ability to save into mlv for 600D? Don't want to sound noob, but the 600D 19July Nightly, which I found from "Full-resolution silent pictures" main topic page 5, before it was deleted, doesn't include mlv saving. Only DNG mode. I believe other 600D owners would also like to test out this nice feature :)

cutycaty

Hi!
I'm also looking to have fullres silent pics test for 600D primarily for astrophotography. I'm not dev thus looking for files that can be directly put on sd card.

Already using many features like intervalometer, bulb timer and 3x bitrate in video for planets with success. Can't imagin going for AP session without ML. Until now, slow shutter speed in video proved good for hi resolution deep sky objects like trapezium stars+core of orion nebula. This is the kind of target which requires combination of slow shutter and many subframes in quick succession without shake of mechanical shutter[See attached image of 3sec video exposure x 30 frames] Now with this fullres silent pics, large number of 1-10sec exposures will be possible.

Can benifit in fullres moon shots too. Video with small FOV and mosaicing small stacks can be superseded by this whole sensor multi pics approach to certain extent.

Also is it possible to have dark current enable like https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2195&sid=a70021fabc58894a9d3ee19517cd3dc2 hack published for nikon cams recently. From reading tens of forum pages, ADTG value changing is closest i can understand being similar. So can both silent pics and adtg be enabled in single bin file? W'd love to have it if u experts know that canon too cooks raw files. The cam will virtually become as powerful as uncoled but large astro ccds.

-Anu

bhursey

Can any one build the new pull for the 60D my development environment is broke and Alex wants new tests done..  I am going to the mountains tomorrow night for time lapse.

Audionut

I hope to be back in full swing in about 2-3 weeks, with my compiling machine up and running, and more importantly, some spare time.