Change camera - From 550D to 50D

Started by lucsout, July 14, 2014, 06:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucsout

Hi guys!
I write here because i'd want some advices about "upgrading" my old 550D to the oldest 50D ( LOL ).
I'm a young videomaker, i always used my 550D with kit lens (18-55) to shot everything. When ML came out, i tried it on the 550 and instantly loved it! I really love to work with raw, and like postprocessing a lot, but now i feel a little limited by the 550D due to the low resolution (Maximum resolution is 864x484 in RAW). I want to upgrade to the 50D (my budget is limited, i found it for 350 euros) and buy a brighter lens ( like 50mm 1.8 ).

Do you think will i notice some improvements in terms of image quality and detail? RAW resolution in the 50D is higher and in crop mode is near 1080p.
I can't find some dng's to download..

Thank you for any answer! :))

Audionut

This suggests the raw performance should be much better.

Since the performance looks to be a decent amount better, one could say the quality will be better also, as you can record higher resolutions for longer.

Andy600

Raw video performance is much better on the 50D, especially with the new SRM memory suite but remember to factor in more expensive CF cards and different batteries.

The 50D is a semi-pro camera and has a much better build quality than the 550D and has a more pro features (6fps stills, top LCD, programmable C modes, 1080i HDMI output etc etc). It's very similar to the 5D mark II but has an APS-C sensor (15mpx). There is one big caveat - It does not have ANY sound capture capability whatsoever so you will need an external audio recorder. That said, I love mine :)

You can record up to 1984x1080 (1:1 crop).
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

handbanana

I love my 50D and use it for RAW video over my 60D and T2i (and EOS M), but the BMPCC just dropped to $495 and if I didn't have a 50D and 4 CF cards already I would probably have spent the money on that (heck I still might!). Something to consider.