Silent pictures + intervalometer + LV power save?

Started by c2s07, July 08, 2014, 11:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c2s07

Hello,

I did a search on this, but it seems this specific case isn't discussed yet.

I've just tried silent pictures for the first time, hoping to replace FPS override for timelapses. With the latter, I've been able to use the LV power save options, but with silent pictures + intervalometer, the power saving doesn't seem to work. I've tried both "Standby" and "While recording" in its options, but the display wakes up every time the camera captures an image (yes, these are not movies). With less than 5 seconds between an image, the display is on about half of the time or so. By the way, do you think it becomes harmful for the screen over time, if the display toggles on and off this way, for extended periods of time?

I also tried disabling image review in Canon menus, but as expected, it didn't affect this in any way.

If the LV power save function cannot be active for 100% of the time (like with FPS override), fortunately I can get closer to it by minimizing the screen brightness... and perhaps by disabling the global draw as well.

Anything I've missed perhaps?

Audionut

Silent pics captures an image from the LV feed, and needs display on to do so.

Levas

@audionut

How do things work with full resolution silent pics, this function does not need live view is it ?
It does however need the mirror to be up and the shutter open...

Planning to do a full-res-silent-pic time-lapse with the intervalometer and trying to search a method with low battery consumption (for example, no live view stream on the camera display).
Any suggestions what is possible at the moment ?

EDIT: ah already found an interesting option for putting LCD to off and live view to pause after 5 seconds...

dmilligan

I'm pretty sure LV won't be running during a full-res silent pic timelapse. The first call to take a full-res silent picture will pause LV, then LV won't start again until you exit QR mode. So if you don't leave QR between photos, LV should remain paused the entire time (you may have to set Image Review -> Hold in the Canon menu).

Levas

Do you know if the silent picture option in photo mode closes diafragma while taking a picture ?

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
- In photo mode, aperture will be most likely wide open, regardless of the setting, because of exposure simulation (enable Expo Override to fix it).

Levas

Ah nice fix for aperture control in photomode, expo override works perfect  :)
Enough information to go out and shoot some full-res silent time-lapse  :D

frspp

Related to this topic:

Which runs longer and by how much
- intervalometer without
- intervalometer with silent pictures

Of course it depends on values used but some example would be nice. Like take 1/20 sec picture every 30 sec, liveview powersave is stby+rec, lcd off 5 sec. Any one tested? Or what's the longest time span one has covered with regular intervalometer and the other with silent picture ivm?
5d2

Levas

Have taken about 500 full-res-silent-dng's, which took 50% of my battery charge on the 6d.

Normally I would need less battery charge for that, but I think that the DNG format is taking up most of the energy.
Would expect better results with the ML raw or mlv format, that way it just writes the image to the card(without heavy CPU calculations to create DNG).

To come back to your question, haven't tested it yet, but I expect that the energy consumption is about the same with normal pictures as with full-res-silent pictures(if you use raw or mlv format).
Why? because the camera isn't doing very different things, it only let's the mirror up and doesn't use the shutter, the rest of the actions is about the same...

What I do know from normal time lapses is that high iso and long shutter times (10 seconds or more) do take a lot more energy than low iso fast shutter time.
Nighttime time lapses eat more battery than daytime time-lapses