Extending past the 30 minute limit by flicking the ML Menus

Started by PhilK, July 08, 2014, 07:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilK

Hi all,

I'm cross posting from the 50D thread to aid visibility on something we've discovered and there's been no postings there since Saturday.

kolen came up with an interesting idea which seems to work, when shooting flick into the ML menu and then back to Live View and for the 50D recording seems possible over the 30 minute limit now.

It would be great if this could be done without touching the camera - so an internal timer blips the ML menu after 25 mins of recording.

For Raw FPS adjusted timelapse this would be absolutly fantastic!!

Possible?  Safe?  Thoughts on this?

dmilligan

I think it's probably the physical button press that's reseting the LV idle timer, not just the fact that ML menu comes up, so I don't think making the ML menu come up will help. Have you tried sticky half-shutter or sticky DOF preview? You could also try calling fake_simple_button();

kolen

Once I tried pressing the ISO button from time to time and the 50D can record raw video until overheat, which is about 82 min (in a cool environment, with a single fully charged Canon battery). I believe it is because of the power saving in the Canon menu. The longest duration we are allowed to set is 30min. So as I press ISO button during RAW video recording it would reset the counter.

By the way, I found that showing live histogram would make the 50D crash after about 6 min. But if I use global draw and activate the zebra and focus peaking, it can safely allow us to take video up to card full.

I am testing this since I wanted to use RAW video in an upcoming wedding proposal job. I figured I can get full sensor, 2.39:1 output (1568X656) for about 25 min. from a 64GB card. So I am wondering if I can get continous 50 min. from a 128GB card and from my testing it seems ok. (Can go pass 30min, and overheat and battery life doesn't matter at least for the first 80min.)
Probably not too many people would be interested in RAW video "marathon" but if as least it is possible for now.