Intervalometer

Started by Audionut, July 08, 2014, 05:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervalometer

QuoteAn intervalometer is a device which counts intervals of time. (Other names include interval meter and interval timer). Such devices commonly are used to signal, in accurate time intervals, the operation of some other device. For instance, an intervalometer might activate something every 30 seconds.

With Magic Lantern, there is no need for an external device, we have an intervalometer built right in.

You will find it in the Shoot menu.

The Options

Take a pic every:

• This is the core intervalometer function.  Here you set the interval between pictures.
  • Note:  The green text at the very bottom of the display shows how long the sequence will take to shoot, based on the Canon report of how many shots are left on the card, or based on the Stop after setting.  It also shows how long the timelapse will display for at 24fps.

Start trigger:

• Leave Menu:  Start the intervalometer after leaving the Magic Lantern menu.
  • Half Shutter:  Start the intervalometer after half pressing the shutter button.
  • Take a Pic:  Start the intervalometer after taking a picture.

Start after:

• Set a delay between the trigger action, and the actual starting of the intervalometer.

Stop after:

• How many pictures to take.

Manual FocusRamp:

• Ramp the focus in steps per shot.

Hints:

• You can stop the intervalometer by rotating the mode dial, by pressing MENU or PLAY, or by turning off the camera.
  • The intervalometer times from itself.  In other words, as soon as it triggers, the timer counts down from that trigger event.  If you have some other processing being enabled, say AETTR, you need to make allowances for this processing, combined with your slowest shutter speed, to ensure the previous processing has been completed, before the intervalometer reaches the next trigger event.
  • To avoid flicker, shoot in manual mode, use manual white balance, avoid short exposure times and use a manual lens (if you use an EF lens, lock the aperture and unscrew it).
  • Adjust your auto-off setting to longer than your timelapse interval the camera will turn off before the second shot.

Power Saving:

• When not in LiveView, press DISP or INFO to turn the display off.
  • In LiveView, ML will turn the display and the sensor off during idle times if you enable this option from Powersave menu.
  • While the intervalometer is running, the card led will blink once per second to let you know it's alive and kicking.

barepixels

thnx for the tut..  waiting on the tut for "Don't click me"

hmm interval to ramp silence pics?  i guess that would be a good plan "B" if exif info for silence pics is not doable.
5D2 + nightly ML

Audionut

AETTR discussion moved here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12588.0

Quote from: barepixels on July 08, 2014, 05:34:06 AM
hmm interval to ramp silence pics?  i guess that would be a good plan "B" if exif info for silence pics is not doable.

This will do ramping.

homemadefrog

I'm looking to shoot a multi-day time-lapse and only record during the daytime (for plant growth).  Any chance ML will ad a start/end time or even just a go for X hours then pause for X hours cycle duration?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

As written before: I cannot recommend to rely on ML (or any software at all) for long term use. Think about some device using a watchdog timer taking care things running as planned. ML may or maybe not take part in this operation.

ONiLX

Is there a way to turn on autofocus while the intervalometer is running. I'd like to stick my camera at the end of a runway and have it track the models as they walk toward and away from my camera.
www.instagram/onilx

Walter Schulz

Yes, there is (Shoot -> Shoot Preferences) but ATM the feature is buggy. See issue #2923.

jesusvpct

Hi! I have a question about "Take a pic every" setting. I want to make a timelapse for night sky, I set Take picture setting to 20", and I set the shutter to 15", but it's not working. It ignores the time between pictures of 20", there isn't a gap between pictures.

I have a Canon EOS 550D with 1.1.0 firmware and Nightly.2018Jul04.550D version of MagicLantern (from this https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul04.550D110.zip).

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Make sure to disable "Long exposure noise reduction".

jesusvpct

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 22, 2019, 08:05:40 PM
Make sure to disable "Long exposure noise reduction".
It's disabled, so that's not the problem.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6013 mediante Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

Zip content of ML/Settings, upload zipped file somewhere for public access, link it here and give info about cam settings in use:
Mode M?
Remote Trigger in use?
Shoot mode (Single, Continuous, ...)?
No bracketing configured in Canon menu?
AF off?

jesusvpct

Configuration: Mode M, Single without remote trigger, Without bracketing.

ML Settings: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhkX69vyW8arlCy0LiMblmQISwfS
Canon Settings: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kaey1tNV779euH4J9 (this is a sample but on night ISO 800-1600 and lower F)

Thanks in advance.

a1ex

Your settings, summarized:

- Take a picture every 15 seconds
- Capturing one picture takes at least 20 seconds (22 would be more realistic)

Let's say you have a daily job. Your boss asks you to work for 35 hours every day (yes, every single day, i.e. every 24 hours). What are you going to do?

Or, in your case, what are you expecting ML intervalometer to do?

Walter Schulz

Just what the man said.
You explained your settings: Interval timer 20 s, exposure setting = 15 s. This will work. Without Long exp. noise reduction.
Actual setting in Magic.cfg: Interval timer 15 seconds.
See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#intervalometer
Common error, though.

jesusvpct

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 23, 2019, 03:02:06 PM
Just what the man said.
You explained your settings: Interval timer 20 s, exposure setting = 15 s. This will work. Without Long exp. noise reduction.
Actual setting in Magic.cfg: Interval timer 15 seconds.
See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#intervalometer
Common error, though.
I'll try it! Thanks!

Edited: I now understand ML intervalometer configuration. I have to set 35 seconds instead of 15, because i want a gap of 15 seconds and picture duration is 20 seconds, so 15+20. This is not the same that i have on external intervalometer, but now I know how to setup on ML the same behaviour.

jesusvpct

Quote from: a1ex on April 23, 2019, 02:55:37 PM
Your settings, summarized:

- Take a picture every 15 seconds
- Capturing one picture takes at least 20 seconds (22 would be more realistic)

Let's say you have a daily job. Your boss asks you to work for 35 hours every day (yes, every single day, i.e. every 24 hours). What are you going to do?

Or, in your case, what are you expecting ML intervalometer to do?
Well, i came from external intervalomter, and It shoots a picture and when finished, then there is a time configured to shoot again (i.e. 15sec). The behaviour is: take a picture (i.e. 20secs of pic), after picture is taken, then there is a countdown of time gap configured (i.e. 15 seconds), and then after finished the countdown, another picture is taken using the time configured. I though that this was the same behaviour on ML, but I'm wrong.

a1ex

I have never used an external intervalometer, so I did not try to copy one when implementing the above. I've rather used LiveView (i.e. constant frame rate, regardless of the exposure time) as reference.

Is the phrase "Take a picture every N seconds" not clear enough? Can you suggest a better wording?

jesusvpct

Quote from: a1ex on April 23, 2019, 03:39:18 PM
I have never used an external intervalometer, so I did not try to copy one when implementing the above. I've rather used LiveView (i.e. constant frame rate, regardless of the exposure time) as reference.

Is the phrase "Take a picture every N seconds" not clear enough? Can you suggest a better wording?
I'm not criticizing the term, I just did not understand the function, but now I know how It works, so now I can use it as I want :-).

Sorry if I didn't understand at the beginning.