Author Topic: AETTR + DUAL ISO: The Ultimate Automated Perfect Image Exposure-Beginners'Guide  (Read 53141 times)

ibrahim

• Physician & videographer
For the past weeks I've intensively gone through all threads regarding dual iso and ettr and I still haven't been able to know exactly a step-by step approach in how to use both for video in camera and when to use or not to use the histogram for this purpose.
I've understood all parts, but still how do they work together 'in practice' (on camera) is something that I have been struggling with. Anyone mind sharing through an example with concrete values?  :)
Canon 5D Mark IIIs & Canon 600d | Ronin-M | Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine AS UMC | Samyang 85mm T1.5 UMC AS Cine VDSLR II   | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | etc
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Luther

• Freshman
For the past weeks I've intensively gone through all threads regarding dual iso and ettr and I still haven't been able to know exactly a step-by step approach in how to use both for video in camera and when to use or not to use the histogram for this purpose.
I've understood all parts, but still how do they work together 'in practice' (on camera) is something that I have been struggling with. Anyone mind sharing through an example with concrete values?  :)

Here's how I use it:
- Enable Raw Histogram (don't enable yet DualISO)
- Set your FPS and Shutter, don't change after that
- Use ISO and Aperture to bring the exposure to the maximum, without clipping.*
- Look your histogram, the right side should not be crushed
- Enable DualISO. Set the recovery ISO to +2 EV.
- That's it.

After you process the file, it will be overexposed, so you should bring it back to normal exposure (also using histogram to guide you).

* Whenever possible and appropriate, I personally set the aperture to the "sweet spot" (see the MTF chart for your lens, it's normally between f/2.8 and f/5.6). Then I set the lowest ISO that crushes the right of the histogram just a little bit and, finally, bring back with a Variable ND filter. This way you have the best precision and highest SNR and DR.