Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre2fun

Hello A1ex,

I am a mad microminerals stacker, like pontop and many others, and would like taking HiRes silent pictures using Helicon Remote / Helicon Focus since this app is quite effective on this kind of work.

I have ask for generating a "half shutter" signal instead of usual shot signal and the editor seems OK to implement this possibility. Seing the numbers of body I alone burnt in stacking, I guess it may increase the number of ML users :)

The software works on Linux, Mac, and Win., and is thetering using USB.
Would generating a "half shutter" signal would be OK?
Please would you mind kindly explaining exactly the right way to make it working?

Best regards
Pierre
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

a1ex

Half-shutter from external apps should work just fine (not tested, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work).

pholler

Hey guys,
am i the only one who get's wrong exposure times in the final FRSP-DNGs?

To be excat, it looks like this:
a) When .mlv is used as container for the FRSPs:
for exposure times <1s the value is correct. All exposure times >=1s are displayed in Photoshop as 1s-exposure.

b) When .DNG is used for the RSP:
the displayed exposure time is always 1s inpedently of the actual exposure.

This is kind of annoying when doing day-to-night timelapses as lrtimelapse is having a hard time correcting the exposure changes.

glubber

When using LRTimelapse for timelapses use the "Visual Workflow" with silentpics. Under Expert settings check "Use optical Keyframe...".
I have done this now severel times and works fine.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

pholler

Thanx glubber! I did this once. It made some mistakes but worked most of the time. But having correct metadata is the better way.

a1ex

Even if EXIF would be correct, the time measured by ML is the total capture time (which is a bit longer than the actual exposure time), so using this info for deflicker is probably not going to give the best result. I'd say the best way is to use a deflicker tool that looks at image brightness, and I recommend dmilligan's deflicker script: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8850

The bigger issue with full-res silent pics is that exposure time is not constant (it's a gradient). To my knowledge, there were no attempts to deflicker such images, so it's probably best to use exposure times longer than say 1 second (so the gradient effect is no longer noticeable) and use a regular deflicker tool.

reddeercity

OK , Trying to get Started with FRSP on 5D2 with magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun25.5D2212 , But I have run in to some "Error 70" problems.
I have the Clash logs plus the cam's rom . Here is the cam setup :Silent Picture-->Full-Res-->MLV , Intervalometer-->Take pics-->Like Crazy-->Start trigger-->Leave Menu-->Start after-->3s  Modules loaded , file_man, mlv_play, mlv_rec, mlv_snd, silent and Liveview set to"Photo,ExpSim" &"Photo,no ExpSim"
Link to Crash Logs+Rom ->https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qr83z9ltzkye4lo/AADre4uTh-Vz6P-0cPl9IaiWa?dl=0
Links  to Zip file with all the Crash logs+Rom ->https://www.dropbox.com/s/dltd9tzzewygko2/Crash%20Logs%20FRSP%2BRom.zip?dl=0
Basically all I want is the FRSP to save to One "MLV" file , this only happen once (6-frame) and the rest of the time gave me single frame mlv files.
Then when I tried to set a stop point of 50 frames it kept going and for some reason you can not exit or stop the Intervalometer, in the end I pressed the AF button then the cam would stop & error out did this four time in a row .Pull battery restart cam then it would want to start in the Intervalometer and take pic's
unless you get in to the ML menu right now. Then all of a sudden the " Cam started to Fire photo with the mirror snapping back and forth , I think about 10 or so CR2 . Then LCD Liveview when black and the cam displayed a message, Needs liveview for picture I think ,so I quickly powered off the cam and pulled the battery , deleted that nightly build and reinstalled my 02-15-2014 build I use, rebooted cam back to normal now, but did have me really concerned about loosening Liveview like that . So I'll just do more research on this , don't what to brick my cam . Is there any one with 5D2 that has great success with FRSP
without crashes , I would like to get at least 300-500 frames per-session, Thanks :)

a1ex

The logs indicate a SRM memory error. I'll try this configuration in about 2 weeks; meanwhile, it would be helpful if other 5D2 users could try.

One thing I didn't try is the "like crazy" option. Does it help if you use a 10-second interval?

hillibilli

Hello pholler,
as I want to use full-resolution silent pictures not only for timelapse I needed at least
the normal setting information of the camera (and of course the exposure time).

a) the time stamp of the picture
b) the value of aperture
c) the value of focus length
d) the value of the used ISO
e) the value of the exposure time

I am a very beginner of programming ML but as I
looked at the sources I found out that the setting of this information was not so complicated for DNG.
Similar things are already available for the MLV.
As exposure time I used the total capture time.
(And for test purpose the lower 3 digits of the capture time I write into the meta data 'SubsecTime', see example below)

I am testing this on my CANON EOS 700D and I am happy to see now my camera settings in the DNG.

@a1ex: Should we implement this into the silent modul? Or are there other ideas?

Example of EXIF-Info:
Filename - 72540083.DNG
ImageWidth - 128
ImageLength - 84
BitsPerSample - 8 8 8
Compression - 1 (None)
PhotometricInterpretation - 2
ImageDescription - (ML DNG silent picture)
Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 700D
StripOffset - 1536
Orientation - Top left
SamplesPerPixel - 3
RowsPerStrip - 84
StripByteCount - 32256
PlanarConfiguration - 1
Software - Magic Lantern
DateTime - 2015:06:25 12:55:06
Artist -
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 728
Serial Number -
Lens Model -
ExposureTime - 1/2.0 seconds
FNumber - 12.80
ExposureProgram - Not defined
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2015:06:21 12:55:06
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/1 seconds
ApertureValue - F 1.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 1.00
MeteringMode - Unknown
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 29 mm
SubsecTime - 508
SubsecTimeOriginal - 508
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 0 mm
EOS 700D 1.1.4|EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6|Vixen R135S D=135 F=720|Sky-Watcher D=200 F=1000

dmilligan

raphaeloo

Any chance of getting silent picture to do exposures longer than 15 seconds?

Many thanks!

josepvm

The answer is in the first post of this thread.

wyrlyn

I have some kind of problem with the full res silent pic module. It worked well before, I also used it for silent pic timelapse with the appropriate intervals, but today something happened. I haven't figured out yet, maybe you can help.

Cam: 700D 18-55 STM kit fw: latest 1.1.4
ML build: latest 02 July 2015
Settings: Manual Mode, 1/10, apr: around 3.5 iso: 100

When I start to make full-res silent pic (tried both MLV and DNG) nothing happening, it seems to be the cam is shutting down.
When I view it after the reboot in Pic Viewer it shows the actual picture.

What is the problem? I haven't modified any changes in power save module (default)

Modules on: MLV rec, Fullres Pic, File Manager, Pic viewer

And of course I shot in liveview.

side note: No crash file on the card after I taken the shot.

Thanks for the help!

Walter Schulz

Same with 7D, i suppose: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg150056#msg150056
Half-pressing shutter button brings back LV on 7D. Try it and report back.

wyrlyn

I tried it and it brings back but still I can't see the picture I've taken after pressing the shutter. Never had this kind of problem with FRSP before..

hillibilli

Have you set the 'Image review' in CANON menu to 'Off'?
In this case you do not see the picture after taking a picture.
Short half-pressing the shutter button brings you back to LV,
long half-pressing the shutter button takes the next FRSP.
EOS 700D 1.1.4|EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6|Vixen R135S D=135 F=720|Sky-Watcher D=200 F=1000

wyrlyn

oh i forgot that! thank you, problem solved!

baccinoluigi

Hi all and especially a big thanks you to the team of Magic Lantern for the precious contribution with their work.
I recently installed the module for Full Silent Pictures and i experiencing a problem with ACR,
can't denoise the dng extracts from  .mlv FRSP.
Can I fix all the other parameters but the denoise filter by ACR on those files doesn't work at all.
Sequences of images are taken with 5DMK III ef 16-35 f/4 IS iso 3200 converted with raw2cdng. version 1.7.4
magic lantern is Nightly.2015Apr28.5D3123, ACR 7,8 or 9 same issue.
Here a link of a sample dng made with FRSP  http://www.flli-baccino.com/djwNGTRE/images/dng/2982000000000.dng

Extracts files from .MLV or .RAW  shot in  video  can be denoised from ACR the issue it's only with FRSP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dmytro_ua

e.g. MLV file takes 400mb, and the same one converted to DNGs takes 300mb.
The same info, but 100MB less? Is it better to use DNGs insted of MLV to save space on CF card.
Am I missing smth?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Walter Schulz

Do you want to add some infos about your workflow, cam used, ML version? Are we talking about FRSP at all? And does mb mean megabytes or megabits?

dmilligan

Did you convert to DNG with a tool that compresses DNGs (like MLRawViewer)? In camera DNGs are not compressed, so they will be the same size as MLV. Both MLV files and DNG files can be compressed on a computer, but in camera processing would be too slow (unless we were to reverse engineer the hardware Canon uses to compress CR2s or JPEGs and figure out how to repurpose it, which may or may not even be possible/practical)

Dmytro_ua

1. Sorry, I meant megabytes.
2. And yes, I've tested the size on recorded MLV (FRSP) and then I've converted them into DNG with MLRawViewer. 

So, DNG's recorded by FRSP and DNG's converted from MLV - will have different compression? 

- I tried to convert MLV file (112 MB) to DNG       = DNG files (80,4 MB)  then RAR them = dngfolder.rar (67 MB)
- If I compress MLV file (112 MB) to WinRar file   = mlvfile.rar (87,8 MB) 

I'm just trying to figure it out how it's better to store HUGE files.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

dmilligan

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on July 14, 2015, 02:21:33 PM
So, DNG's recorded by FRSP and DNG's converted from MLV - will have different compression? 
Yes, but only if you use MLRawViewer to convert to DNG, or if you use another tool to compress the DNG after conversion (like SlimRaw, Adobe DNG Converter, etc.). Most other MLV to DNG converters do not compress the DNG output.

It's important to note that this is lossless compression, so there will be no difference when viewing or processing the files.

Like I said, it's easy to apply compression on a powerful general purpose CPU, it's almost impossible on the dinky little embedded ARM processor in the camera (would take way too long), so we (ML) can't really apply compression in-camera. Canon compresses CR2s somehow, AFAIK we don't know much about the particular hardware that does that.

The MLV format itself supports lossless compression, which can be applied by mlv_dump. Depending on the particular data and compression scheme used (there is a newer one that hasn't been merged yet), you might see better compression ratios than with simply applying something like rar or zip to the MLV file like you did. You can also probably get away with reducing the bit depth to 12 or maybe even 10 without much noticeable change, which would technically be a form of lossy compression.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: dmilligan on July 14, 2015, 03:44:58 PM
The MLV format itself supports lossless compression, which can be applied by mlv_dump. Depending on the particular data and compression scheme used (there is a newer one that hasn't been merged yet), you might see better compression ratios than with simply applying something like rar or zip to the MLV file like you did.

Yes, but this not works for me :(

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on February 25, 2015, 06:55:05 AM
I try to compress about 6 GB file:
mlv_dump.exe -o compress.mlv  -v -e -c -b 16 -l 9 -x big.mlv
and I get about 4 GB file, good.
Than, i try to extract dng from that file:
mlv_dump.exe --dng --no-cs compress.mlv  -o
I get about 2 GB of dngs and mlv_dump.exe crashes having about 2 GB memory allocated according to Task manager. My PC is 64 bit with 24 GB memory.

dmilligan

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on July 14, 2015, 07:00:11 PM
Yes, but this not works for me :(

The new compression scheme works much better, but hasn't been merged yet. You might get the current one to work better if you don't use the frame delta option.