Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Great news @a1ex and as expected we all knew you would be back after your much deserved hiatus or holiday break... Whatever you wanna call it!

[emoji2]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

g3gg0

the MLV issues were already fixed weeks ago.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

N/A

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 28, 2015, 11:11:53 PM
Yes, our halcyon days are over.
I had to Google the meaning of that phrase, just learned something new. Thanks!
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

menoc

Happy to report full-res silent MLV files now work with MLRawViewer. Yey! - now I need a faster laptop to playback 4K MLVs  :P

swinxx

@ devs: can you please tell me whats the fastest shutter speed with silent pic right now (with canon 5d mk3 1.1.3) and would it be possible to update the silent.mo from time to time in the #1 post with all the newest additions for the different cams, especially canon 5d mk3 FW 1.1.3 :)))
or for simplification: would it make sense to add the new full res silent pic module to the nightlys.

thanx very much :))

a1ex

Do you actually read the thread before posting?

Fastest shutter speed: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg121962#msg121962

Nightly:

Quote from: a1ex on January 28, 2015, 11:04:06 PM
[...] this thing is next on the list for including into the nightly builds.

menoc

Quote from: swinxx on January 30, 2015, 07:35:33 PM
@ devs: can you please tell me whats the fastest shutter speed with silent pic right now (with canon 5d mk3 1.1.3) and would it be possible to update the silent.mo from time to time in the #1 post with all the newest additions for the different cams, especially canon 5d mk3 FW 1.1.3 :)))
or for simplification: would it make sense to add the new full res silent pic module to the nightlys.

thanx very much :))

I believe A1ex is working on getting silent.mo in the nightlys. Posting the silent.mo alone may not be a good idea as some dependencies may also have to be compiled. It is best to compile the ML core along with the modules to avoid crashes. I'd suggest you setup a machine to compile and compile the full-res branch.

menoc

Bah . . .  you beat me to it A1ex . . . :)

igoriok1994

Hey :P
I believe that full res update will be integraten in new nightly builds for 550D and other cameras. Because everyone can't compile it by itself.
Maybe there are a tutorial how to compile this branch for ML?
ps sorry for english :D
550D

swinxx

Ok, thx a1ex. I have tried to read it. So i will try to find the answer for my question, although the thread is a little bit too technical for my understanding. and i believe that i can remember that there was some progress for the 7d not 5d? Perhaps this is crap.. However greets sw

a1ex

Fastest shutter speed on 5D3: 1/33.19 at the top of the image and 1/6.30 at the bottom. Linear gradient in-between.

swinxx

Ah. Thank you. So i have to use my nd filter ;) best wishes, sw

DeafEyeJedi

Could anyone please tell me if the current fastest shutter speed for M1 w FRSP is still about 1/15th - correct?

Thanks!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

emphram

I'm sure this has been asked billions of times by now, but could it be possible to use FRSP or a spin off of it, to get better quality full HD jpeg sequences at 24fps on something like a 600D? or is that just simply too processor intensive?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 13, 2015, 10:00:11 AM
Could anyone please tell me if the current fastest shutter speed for M1 w FRSP is still about 1/15th - correct?
On my M1 it doesn't record pictures faster than 239ms.

Regarding FRSP on the EOS M1, any chance to separate the * (STAR) button from half-shutter? As reported before ( http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg137532;topicseen#msg137532 ) no matter what option I choose in the custom function IV menu, pressing * will take a picture and it will not AF.

Now, testing a bit, while using the intervalometer (w/ or w/o silent pics) the * button behaves the same, takes a picture, but if one sets a delay before starting the sequence you can see that the camera tries to autofocus in that time before it will start shooting.

a1ex

Possible, but requires some reverse engineering. Currently, all cameras interpret the * button as a half-shutter press.

Watching the memory contents around HALFSHUTTER_PRESSED (0x3F224 on EOS-M) might be a good starting point. Also, the mem spy utility should help as well. Analyzing the messages from MPU might be helpful too, but this is a pretty advanced topic.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: a1ex on March 12, 2015, 04:46:22 PMPossible, but requires some reverse engineering. Currently, all cameras interpret the * button as a half-shutter press.
Umm, ok, any reason it needs to be halfshutter? Say, since you are bypassing normal shooting anyway, can't it be made to take a picture when pressing other button that is not used like BGMT_REC 0x1E button (presuming that is the movie REC button and that it's accessible in non-movie mode that is). And this should apply to intervalometer too.

dmilligan

you start to run into camera specific problems, on my camera the rec button is also the LV button, so if you pressed it, you would exit LV, you could probably use SET though

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dmilligan on March 12, 2015, 06:11:11 PM
you start to run into camera specific problems, on my camera the rec button is also the LV button, so if you pressed it, you would exit LV, you could probably use SET though
Since there is a per platform modularisation in ML anyway, it's a given, I guess a selector would be nicer so that a user can choose the button of choice.

And another thing, the Wiki states, that for silent pictures: "from the LiveView image buffer when you press the shutter halfway. Make sure you don't have autofocus assigned to half-shutter press (put it on * or turn it off)" which a guess needs to be edited out as is not possible to use * for AF?

dmilligan

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dmilligan on March 12, 2015, 09:40:23 PM
Its possible on my 60D
And it's not interpreted as halfshutter so it's usable for AF even for silentpics?
Then this is a M1 only issue? 4 posts above @a1ex said otherwise.

dmilligan

it is interpreted as half-shutter

a1ex

I had some success with detecting the AF-ON button: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/793908427d2f

Works pretty good, but AF is triggered a few ms later than the half-shutter press event. So, I had to wait 4 LiveView frames, that is, about 0.13 seconds of extra shutter lag if you use autofocus.

Tested on 60D.