Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: Slasheal on January 13, 2015, 11:43:55 PM
If you want to know what build I used, I stole it there:
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern-fullres/downloads
:'(
I don't recommend using these unofficial builds unless you really know what you are doing. There have been changes and improvements since then: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg133776#msg133776

Slasheal

Thanks you both.

So I can now confirm to you that with both MLVMystic and MLV_Dump, I can't get .DNG files with meta data that goes above 1s.

This leads to wrong exposure correction, in post with LRtimelapse.

So it may be silent.mo that is the problem.

I would like to try more recent builds but i'm too much of a noob. :(
But I need this since I don't want to blow my shutter because of abusing of timelapses.
And since I have to use it, I try to do my best to find problems :).

N/A

Testing the latest build on 7d. Silent pics save fine as .DNG but when trying to save them in .MLV format, the camera freezes up. Tried with MLV module on and off, and in photo and video mode. Top LCD starts to flash busy after a few seconds.

Only way to get rid of the
Saving 5202x3466
Captured in 292 ms.

Is to pull the battery. Doesn't go away on powering off.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

g3gg0

uhm what are your settings?
during the last days i made ~90Gib of MLV full res silent pictures with the 7D.
7D v2.0.3
hg revision 12044
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

N/A

I'll try compiling again and double-check everything. Still trying to get the hang of this.

DeafEyeJedi

@N/A -- Upon avail ... Any chance I can get a copy of your compile regarding FRSP for the 7D?

Thx!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

N/A

I need to work out all the bugs first. Full res mlv's lock the camera up, or save them into one big .dng instead of .mlv when I compile on my MacBook.

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

swinxx

@google: are those latest changes also available for 5d mk3 123 ;) ?? Thx

g3gg0

swinxx

N/A

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2015, 08:38:26 PM
google?
LOL
Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2015, 06:31:40 PM
can you try these 7D files?
autoexec.bin
7D_203.sym
silent.mo
Same issue. Weird. I tried with your files and JUST your silent.mo, the modules I compiled, and even the modules from the latest nightly build. All this was after an in-camera format, and deleting all the config files on the card also. And just to verify, mlv_rec, mlv_play, and pic_view for full res silent dng's all work fine. I'll review all my settings and see if anything looks off, but it seems like its hanging when it writes to the cf. I'm assuming I have an issue with my mlv_rec or mlv_play modules, I'll compile those again and see if I have any warnings/errors.

g3gg0

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @g3gg0 & @N/A for the updates -- I definitely will copy these links for the 7D and try compiling them out this weekend since I'll be off from work, FINALLY!

N/A

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2015, 11:09:45 PM
forgot that... mlv_rec.mo
With just your files on the card, full res mlv's work fine with intervalometer, and taking a full res pic with half shutter AFTER an intervalometer cycle saves as an mlv. But trying to save one with half shutter to mlv without running the intervalometer first is what locks it up. Haven't tested this yet with my compiles.

DeafEyeJedi

Gents-

Oddly as this may seem but after successfully copying these Four files (Thanks @g3gg0) and compiled them with the latest nightly (7D 2.0.3 Jan 15th) somehow made this to work.

However, per N/A's responds from earlier regarding the 'lock up' after when trying to take a FRSP w half shutter BEFORE using the Intervalometer module. <-- (I actually use the Adv. Intervalometer)

I even tried this same routine three times and it only locked up once out of these three attempts (not sure why though) but if you feel this isn't a good enough of a troubleshoot, pls tell me!

FYI -- I also tried using @dmilligan's latest update on his MLVFS which works quite well with MLV files created from the Intervalometer module.  ;)

Please let me know if I'm such a lazy @$$ and I'll see what more I can do with it...

Thanks again everyone!

g3gg0

thanks, that makes sense to me now.
gonna fix it.

DeafEyeJedi

@g3gg0 -- also I noticed when 'locked-up' frequently... I just decided to change the file format from MLV to DNG (which then worked fine) and switched back to MLV which seems to help get it working again.

May be related to shutter speeds being changed due to ETTR? Whenever I disable ETTR (always on) it would not 'lock up' as often as oppose to when having ETTR enabled.

Kind of a strange pattern that I thought it may be worth noting.

Thanks again!

swinxx

So is it possible to use silenpic fullres mlv with 5d mk3 123? Would be nice if it will finally work. I am waiting 5 month now.. but the hope never dies ;)

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2015, 06:31:40 PM
can you try these 7D files?
autoexec.bin
7D_203.sym
silent.mo
mlv_rec.mo

updated silent.mo with this stuff:
- fixed crash if no intervalometer ran before
- MLV header now contains frame count (allows playback with MLRawViewer)
- allow user to choose between DNG, Single-Frame-MLV and Multi-Frame-MLV (disable and re-enable "Silent Pic" from menu to start a new file in Multi-Frame-MLV mode)

you will have to use a recent mlv_dump to MODIFY the FPS field in the file if you want to play it back in MLVRawViewer faster.
if you set intervalometer to 10 sec, the FPS field will be 0,1 fps. non-intervalometer shots have 1 fps.
you might want to use 'mlv_dump in.mlv -o out-mlv -A 25000' to set 25 fps.

but these features is only available - again - in RECENT mlv_dump binaries :)

DeafEyeJedi

Brilliantly done @g3gg0!!!

Will definitely test them out today...

*cheers*

g3gg0

its not brilliant, its just about investing time :)
these things were requested before iirc.

5D3 v1.2.3: no idea. i only have the 1.1.3.
not sure if it will work.

DeafEyeJedi

*feedbacks*

Not sure if this will help you @g3gg0  but after copying the new four files from the link in your recent quote...

I've been getting these "Failed to link Modules" errors on my 7D...

Not sure why it worked yesterday with the other files...Gonna try your old files from yesterday's post above to see if I can get it to work again (regardless of the lock-up bug which is easy to get around)

Either way Thanks again for your dedication on this, however, I compiled the same way I did yesterday w the older files but again this may be an Error on my part! (Not sure how/when)

**EDIT**

I just tried another CF card and load that with yesterday's compile that I took from your original first Four files and it's working fine again other than that lock-up bug occasionally (which I don't mind atm until the fix)

Will definitely try another CF card w your latest Four files and see if the errors still persist.

Thanks again!

***EDIT(Part 2)***

I couldn't stand it so I decided to just try and take the silent.mo and compile that with yesterdays files. I wasn't sure if I should to compile them with the other 3 (autoexec.bin, 7D_203.sym, mlv_re.mo) because I wonder if that's what was causing the error I encountered earlier unless they are the same as yesterday's and you only updated/fixed the silent.mo alone?

correct me if I'm wrong because it seems to be working... even tried using half-shutter full_res BEFORE using intervalometer which hasn't produced any 'locked-up' bug as of yet. so THANK YOU and excuse me for my mess! 

N/A

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 18, 2015, 10:13:53 AM
thanks, that makes sense to me now.
gonna fix it.
Happy to be of assistance.

g3gg0

@DeafEyeJedi:
ive just read the last few lines and it seems you found the issues?
dont enable old modules if you get such errors.