Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothaibaphoto

I did a lot of timelapses and hyperlapses on 5D II&III this month on my vacation using FRSP, DualISO, AutoETTR. I reported some bugs i find before in my previous post. Here are the rest.
1. Build for MKII more usable - in addition to ability to shot more than 4GB at once it shows live image between shots which is helpful for hyperlapse. On MKIII I can see just final image for so short time I just even can read RAW exposure hint. I've read this is done for battery saving, but I don't meet any shortage - after 300 shots I had 65% battery on MKII and 85% on MKIII(I need to restart intervalometer every 100 shots on MKIII).
2. AutoETTR unreliable with FRSP, I disabled it after several attemps.
2.1 AutoETTR doesn't care that shorten exposure beyond about 1/30 has no effect on exposition.
2.2 Meeting overexposure AutoETTR ... rises ISO and doesn't push it back, so my sunrise timelapses after some time gets 1/8000 and 12800 ISO :)
I must say that RAW exposure hint is a real savior in such situation. It cares about DualISO. Anyway, AutoETTR can't change aperture or insert/eject ND filter for you :)
My conclusion:  FRSP need some minor bug fixes and improvements, but usable, at least on MKII & III. It's stable, doesn't overheat cameras(I shot in tropics by the way) and decent battery draining

Attero

@mothaibaphoto: Yeha, i got the same experiences with the 600D. Its very useable and with a simple ND-Filter and some knowledge it works amazing.

Ok, so lets change the question. Is some1 here how can provide me an build with the FRSP modul for the 6D113?
I realy want to use this feature in my vacations for some timelapses! So i dont have to hurt my new 6D with thousands of shutter actions...

Stedda

See reply 358 then follow the link... asking over and over again isn't going to get it built for you. That has stopped because people abused it, now you need to build it for yourself if you want it.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

DeafEyeJedi

Hello everyone,

I understand according to @Audionut -- the FRSP module has been removed for safety purposes. Oddly enough I was in the middle of my Holiday trip with the family and decided to try the FRSP again since it has been awhile. It worked well before and now whenever I try to use it.. it just shows a black frame (like as if I had the hood on the end of the lens) so I decided to turn off Full_Res and use the simple version instead which works fine.

Has anyone experience this? I was hoping I can take this particular testing further to help the dev's. However, I went into my external drives to find the FRSP Modules that I had saved as back up... I reinstalled that into the card and the 'Black screen' still persist?!

I find this kind of annoying because I have not changed anything within the ML settings in the past three months and yet so strange that it just stops working out of nowhere...

So I decided to give it a shot with the latest nightly build (1_3_14 for 5D3 1.1.3) and merge the FRSP module and still shows the black frame when triggering the silent mode. Obviously either something happened without my knowledge or the ML gods just decided to spike my 5D3? lol (I know its not funny really but still)

Thoughts?

*EDIT*

I decided to just wipe the card clean again and start fresh (without using the new autoexec.bin with the old ML settings, etc...) so with ONLY using the autoexec.bin/ML files from 9/26/14 build installed altogether -- FRSP was alive once again! *sighs*

Now I plan on testing this further to see if it'll be compatible with the new auto exec.bin (from 1/3/15 or earlier) to see if the problem still exist.

Because I am itching to get the FRSP to work with the latest nightly 1.1.3... such as the newest 1/3/15 build!

Thanks again everyone!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

There are changes to the ML core needed for full-res silent pics to work. (You need the entire ML compiled from the full-res branch, not just the silent.mo module).

We should have changed the minor module version number in this branch so that the silent.mo from this branch would refuse to load on a nightly build (b/c it won't work anyway)

DeafEyeJedi

That makes sense. Thanks @dmilligan -- guess at this point I'll have to 'toggle' between nightly builds depending on what I need for each shoot.

Not a big deal...  :o

Ran into a error crash report pop-up window while recording MLV recently, tried triggering FRSP which caused this... Anyone care for this particular crash report?

I find it odd that the report itself came out rather short --  literally almost like nothing.

blackcannonfilms

Just thought I'd drop a line here, I've finally got Full Res Silent pics working, it's a great way to maintain the use of my 5Dmkiii (which has a broken shutter) for more than just video.

I'm going to try spend some time playing around with it over the next few weeks and see how stable/useable it is. 

DeafEyeJedi

Glad you got FRSP to work on your 5D3 (even w a broken shutter) @blackcannonfilms!  8)

Slasheal

I'm a noob, so I haven't managed to make it work on my 7D :(.
I would have loved to try to do timelapse without ruining my shutter even if the firmware isn't stable.

Anyway, thanks for all your work :) This little feature is very awaited.

jose_ugs

This one "little feature" might never come out :(

vyskocil

I looked at fullres silent pics feature on the 7D and succeed in making it works with some fixes.

--- a/src/raw.c Sun Sep 28 20:07:07 2014 +0300
+++ b/src/raw.c Sun Jan 11 17:43:56 2015 +0100
@@ -117,7 +117,7 @@
  * and http://a1ex.bitbucket.io/ML/states/ for state diagrams.
  */

-#if defined(CONFIG_5D2) || defined(CONFIG_50D) || defined(CONFIG_60D) || defined(CONFIG_550D) || defined(CONFIG_500D) || defined(CONFIG_600D) || defined(CONFIG_1100D)
+#if defined(CONFIG_5D2) || defined(CONFIG_50D) || defined(CONFIG_60D) || defined(CONFIG_550D) || defined(CONFIG_500D) || defined(CONFIG_600D) || defined(CONFIG_1100D) || defined(CONFIG_7D)
#define RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC 0xc0f04208
#endif

@@ -650,10 +650,10 @@

#ifdef CONFIG_7D /* very similar to 5D2 */
         skip_left = 158;
-        skip_top = 52;
+        skip_top = 50;
         /* first pixel should be red, but here it isn't, so we'll skip one line */
         /* also we have a 16-pixel border on the left that contains image data */
-        raw_info.buffer += width * 14/8 + 16*14/8;
+        //raw_info.buffer += width * 14/8 + 16*14/8;
         #endif

dbg_printf("Photo raw buffer: %x (%dx%d)\n", raw_info.buffer, width, height);

If the line where raw_info.buffer is updated is not commented out, the resulting silent pictures are pink

here is the relevant OB-ZONES picture from raw_diag module :

Here is a sample silent pic, at 100% it looks a bit weird, what do you think ?

http://bleuazur.com/~vyskocil/21850007.jpg

N/A

Nice, I had tried it a few months ago but couldn't get past the bugs (crashing/freezing the camera), never had a chance to make good use of it or even report the issues. Can you post the dng? It looks a little off but much better than any of my results. Black level maybe?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

a1ex

Nice, thanks vyskocil.

The image looks fine to me; what kind of weirdness are you talking about? Other than some lens softness (quite common when you shoot wide-open), I don't see anything strange.

Slasheal

Hello.

First, thanks for all you work.
I spend last days trying to use silent.mo to make some timelapses.
I have a very few C notions, and I couldn't really help with coding.
I'm really interested into improving this feature, so I would like to help in any way.
I searched on the forum and I saw that you appreciate complex feedbacks with a lot of info on your code's behavior.
I have decided to try to do my best here, if I can help more in any way, don't hesitate to ask for it, I will keep an eye on this topic.

-I used the 7D latest build from the development branch.
-I took DNGs in full raw format. It does not work with S and M format.
-Focus has to be made before shooting
-You can't do silent pic from EOS utility (it just takes normal pics)
-You can pictures with:
Half shutter
Af On button
Also with AF off button (set on remember exposure button)
And even with aperture button.
-Exposure is always a bit higher than on the preview, even with expo override and exp sim.
-So you can't focus when silent.mo is activated. It would be great to be able to focus with AF on button.
-I noticed no difference in times for taking the pictures, with only silent.mo or all modules activated.
-Saving the pic takes always about 3500ms.
-Let's measure times related to shutter speed:
1s = 2100ms
0.5s = 727ms
1/10 = 293ms
1/30 = 227ms
1/60 = 211ms
1/80 = 208ms
1/100 = 206ms
1/3200 = 195ms

It's strange because at 1/100 I see the same amount of light than at 1/8.
So it seems that the shutter can't go beyond 1/50.

-If I press receptively the shutter I see blinking black/LV screen (pictures trying to be taken) and the camera ends by crashing, sometimes with ER70. When not, the CF's led is blinking.
I can shut it down properly without having to remove the battery.
I also can get a crash with error message, here's the .log file crash00.
-ETTR module works for me and the « bipbip » occurs just after saving the picture, when the picture is being reviewved.
-Review of the pictures is shown until the shutter button is pressed again
-There is no EXIF info on the DNG file so, can't use LRTimelapse holy grail method... But there's info in .MLV format :DDD.
-If pressed while recording video.. it takes a pictures and crashes the camera.

A crash.log I got from pressing too many times:

ASSERT: GetMemoryAddressOfMemoryChunk( GetFirstMemChunk( pMem1AllocateListItem->hMemSuite ) ) == pMessage->pAddress
at SrmActionMemory.c:1154, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Sep26.7D203
Mercurial changeset   : 81a2fd653497+ (fullres-silent-pics) tip
Built on 2014-09-26 21:55:08 UTC by mathew@mathewubuntu64.
Free Memory  : 208K + 2955K

Here's a 10s timelapse I have made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWK7VBrpeaU

Also, I have the raw_diag module enabled.. Not sure with what I should do with it. :'(

DeafEyeJedi

@a1ex -- so does that mean the FRSP for the 7D is back in service?

vyskocil

Quote from: N/A on January 11, 2015, 09:49:08 PM
Nice, I had tried it a few months ago but couldn't get past the bugs (crashing/freezing the camera), never had a chance to make good use of it or even report the issues. Can you post the dng? It looks a little off but much better than any of my results. Black level maybe?

The picture looked a bit weird at first for me, but I think that a1ex is right it was taken in bad conditions with a fast lens wide open(Sigma 50mm f/1.4), in dark and underexposed. I also noticed some vertical banding in dark area.

Here is a link to the DNG : http://www.bleuazur.com/~vyskocil/21850007.DNG

N/A

Cool thanks. The highlights are clipping to blue in the dng in ACR. White balance or level issue?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Slasheal

For me, the white balance is something like 300K lower than the preview of LV.
It only appears on the review of the silent image. Not applied to the final .mlv file.

Here's two pictures I took with the exact same settings:

I see no differences except the exposition.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ymwcc9099wzot40/MLV_DNG.zip

dmilligan

In camera preview uses hardcoded white balance multipliers (for speed reasons). If you save as DNG in camera, there's not much metadata (including not any WB metadata).

g3gg0

i've applied the changes to the 7D code and it looks okay to me.

made a lot shots, but only had trouble with the single-file-MLV writing code when reaching > 4GiB.
will look into it.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

DeafEyeJedi

@g3gg0 -- sounds interesting. Do you know if this is included in the latest nightly or is it something like I have to add the modules manually to make it work again?

Slasheal

I noticed a problem related to metadata:

Above 1s of shutter time.. it only says "1s".

So let's say I take pictures with 10s shutter time.
I convert it to .DNG with MLVMystic.

On the .dng, I will only get 1s info, while the .log created by MLVMystic  shows the good shutter speed.

It brings problems when doing timelapses, because I need precise indication to compensate the exposition in software.
Maybe it's only related to MLVmystic.

dmilligan

Sounds like an issue with MLVMystic and not ML. You can verify the metadata is correct in the MLV file with mlv_dump -v

The shutter speed metadata isn't exactly correct either. It's based on timing how long FA_CaptureTestImage takes, and there's extra stuff going in there besides just the exposure. This issue still needs to be fixed.

Just out of curiosity, which changeset did you compile from?

Slasheal

Hello.

So I tried MLV_DUMP:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/03/1421189009-cvb.png

And MLVFS can't extract DNG from MLV files created with silent.mo module.

So I'm not able to say who is deffective between MLVmystic or silent.mo.

Concerning the changeset, I don't understand what you are talking about.
If you want to know what build I used, I stole it there:
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern-fullres/downloads
:'(

g3gg0

Quote from: Slasheal on January 13, 2015, 11:43:55 PM
So I tried MLV_DUMP

nope, you didn't.
you tried to call mlv_dump, and that didnt work ;)

execute ./mlv_dump.osx or rename it to mlv_dump
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!