Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhursey

Explain the details and the settings of the issues with your exposure. If you read through the thread you will see that the shutter speed isn't really accurate to reflect normal shooting so you have to fiddle with it..

GemBro

I must've missed the text about 0.8 sec ...  :-\ ... thanks A1ex ...

Didn't think about noise reduction ... will check ... thanks Levas ...

bhursey:
Yes I read about the issues regarding exposure hence why I thought it may of contributed to the crashing ... unfortunately I wasn't taking notes when I done the last Silent Picture Full Res session ... I will on the next one, being as I need to now have a retry with the suggestions above i.e. noise reduction and faster shuter speeds ...  ;)

Gem
Canon 550D(T2i) Magic Lantern (Nightly Builds)

lureb74

Quote from: lureb74 on October 20, 2014, 03:41:15 PM
... I find out that I can convert .mlv file using mlv2dng! ...

In my PC mlv2dng.exe crashes when trying to convert mlv with lots of frames (e.g. 250 frames). I tried drag'n'dropping onto mlv2dng.exe only the .mlv file (not the side files, m01, m02...) and it crashes after a couple of seconds, producing no gng files.

Does anyone find that I made something wrong? Or any other way to convert mlv files?

g3gg0

use:
./mlv_dump <src> -d -o <path>
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

lureb74

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 21, 2014, 12:50:32 PM
use:
./mlv_dump <src> -d -o <path>

Thank you g3gg0, I will try. I think I'll need also your mlv_dump.exe module, right?
Can you explain what the -d and -o parameters mean? Is there a list of parameters available and where I can find it?

Thanks again!

g3gg0

here

just supply the -? option and it should print the options. (or was it -?, dont remember)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

lureb74

Ok, this is my first time-lapse using full res silet pictures on a 5D3:

I shot 250 frames, but only 102 have come from the mlv conversion. I use mlv_dump as suggested, it give me an error.

Maybe it happened because of mlv trunks (m00, m01...)? I use a Fat32 Lexar 1000x 32gb CF. I want to try formatting it exFAT, does anyone have a suggestion on the best cluster size I can use to format it?

Mr. Propaganda Guy

Is it possible to capture Full Resolution Silent Pictures in Jpeg format?

Audionut

QuotePlease do not ask for builds in this thread.  This thread is for development related feedback only.

If you would like a build compiled, so you can help the Magic Lantern development team by testing this feature and providing feedback, please see this thread.

eliz

hello.
i have made some tests with full silent picture + stack focus. the setup was 550D + Sigma 150mm F/2.8
1/3 seconds exposure time is very good for macro photography in the early morning, when light is low, the wind is slow and the insects are slow because of the cold temperature. the idea is to take some similar picture like this one
http://www.fotonatura.ro/forum/album/eliz/insects/2010/IMG_24172-74-76-77-78.jpg.html

this is a report with problems that i have encountered
--------------------------
(1) when shooting full silent picture, the lens aperture seem to be stuck wide open.

the camera was set to M mode (manual) and full silent DNG picture. changing the aperture from F/2.8 to F/8 (while ISO and exposure time constant) gives a picture with identical exposure. also the DOF (depth of field) seems to remain the same.
i have tried to press the DOF preview button with full silent picture activated in the ML menu, but instead of preview the aperture (in liveview), i got a picture.
turn off the full silent picture in menu, and the DOF preview seems to work ok, the image will turn dark on the screen when pressing the button.

proposed logic: keep the aperture open to make (first) autofocus, but when stating the stack process the aperture must be closed and kept like this (for minimize the shacking) up till the moment when the stack shoot is finish.
(2) the whole process fullsilent + stacking, is to slow.

i made a test, it lasted 46 seconds for 5 stacked DNG silent pictures to take. this is quite to much time in realworld for the insect to stay unmoved or for the wind to not move the subject.
if you manage to capture 3 pictures at F11/F16 aperture in a short time like 5 seconds, will probably make this function to get good results in the realworld.

400ms to read the sensor + 1 second to review the picture  + 6 seconds to write the DNG + 1 second to do refocus.
is there any way to use the buffer memory to take as many as pictures possible, and writing the pictures after that?

proposed logic :
a) do not wait for image data to be written on the card, before starting the re-focus process. instead use the camera buffer (similar with Canon firmware does on continuous shooting mode on mechanical shutter)

when the buffer is full, pause the stacking process, write the data to the card, clear the buffer, continue the stacking process

b) can live view be turned off while taking the stacked shots if this is speeding the capture process? (like in this example  ). once you made focus on insect, seeing the process on the screen is useless after you start running the Stack function.

c) image review can be turned off for faster speed. but it seems Magic Lantern show me the DNG picture on the screen after capture, even if Image Review is set to OFF in the Canon menu.

as a conclusion, these two functions combination must be perfected for use in the realworld for stacked macro photography (i mean live subjects).

p.s.  i observed that MLV are captured in 3 seconds which is an advantage, but i have used DNG for test to simply the conversion process, because i toked like 500 pictures for this tests. i have used shutter times between 1/10 and 0.8 seconds. no error 70 for me, or any kind of errors.

kyrobb

Full Resolution Silent Pictures shot in Jpeg. Any chance that it's possible? I'm curious as well.

florinfl

The 23 sept 2014 full resolution silent picture build that I found somewhere on the forum works only if previously ML is overwritten with the build from 7 october. So copy original ML on card, after that overwrite with 7 oct build, after that comes 23 sept build and silent picture works fine on 600d. I don't know why this succession of overwrites works, maybe someone will build a working silent picture module that works fine the first time is installed. Anyway I'm pleased with this arangement anyway

dmilligan

That's not possible. You must be mistaken. It was probably something else that is an unrelated coincidence.

There's a good reason this feature is not in the nightly builds yet, and you probably shouldn't be using it unless you know what you are doing.

florinfl

However it is working for me without crash. I don't know why but I suppose some modules that are stable from 7 oct build are still working after rewrite the version from 23 sept.
However this build alone does not work but only after I overwrite on 7 oct build for 600d. I know it's not recomended to make such cocktails but it works. After this however the focus peak module is not present anymore - and maybe others too but I didn't check.

dmilligan

So are you able to reliably reproduce this behavior? I doubt it. You are mistaken. If you overwrite files then they are no longer present and can have no effect. It is something else unrelated. I bet you only tried this once didn't you? And because it happened to work after you overwrote the "oct 7 build" then you assume that that was what caused it to work, when in fact it was a completely unrelated coincidence. Start with a freshly formatted card and reset all camera settings and try again.

"focus peak" is not module

florinfl

Right - focus peak feature.
However it is possibile for someone to check in safe conditions if what I did is safe for long term? In fact I'm asking for a confirmation.
First time I did was last thursday afternoon and it worked for a few hours half pressing the shutter and then in combination with intervalometer and advanced bracketing. After that the next day didn't work, I don't know why. I tried after that with 2 card formatting again and again for almost 10 times, the same crash - black screen and an error and quickly removing the battery. I gave up being afraid not to crash the camera for good.
Today I combined as I said the two builds and it works, I took about 50 full res pictures in silent mode just for test - with and without intervalometer and advance bracketing. It gave me at some point and error but only one time and none for the next 30-40 pictures.
I'm still not very relaxed to use it but I'll try to see if it's stable and hope it works.
The reason is to save the shutter because anyway I use a tripod for most of the time.

And I've copied in the same succession it on 2 cards, both working.

And once again 2 minutes ago after formatting the card in Windows on pc too.

dmilligan

And it also doesn't work if you don't use your "succession"?

My guess is that it's some camera or exposure setting that is different that's causing it to work or not.

florinfl

Indeed, after clearing the settings, I found out that with auto ISO didn't work. I'll try without my "succession" (give me a synonym) and without auto exposure.

Yes it works without my "succesion". One or more of these must be changed (fixed ISO), quality of image raw or L+ raw, disable Canon info using INFO key in order to work with 23 sept build. However I must check  if it's stable. Sorry for my "succession"...

As a conclusion:
Full res pictures works with:

but:
- image quality must be L+raw or raw
- ISO must be fixed

dmilligan

Both of these issues have already been discussed in this thread and checks for them in the code have been added (but probably after mk11174 made that build). Yet another reason not to use this unless you know what you are doing and at very least have bothered to read this thread. I highly discourage people from using and posting these unofficial builds.

/* there are problems with shutter speeds slower than 15 seconds */
    /* (corrupted image and camera lockup, at least on 5D2 and 550D) */
    if (prop_shutter < SHUTTER_15s)
    {
        error_msg = "Exposure too long";
        goto err;
    }

if (prop_iso == 0)
    {
        error_msg = "Auto ISO not compatible";
        goto err;
    }

if (!can_use_raw_overlays_photo())
    {
        error_msg = "Set picture quality to RAW";
        goto err;
    }

menoc

I compiled Full-Res Silent Pics from the full-Res branch. It works on my 50D. The only thing thing that did not work is Full Resolution saving as MLV file. When I open it with MLRawViewer it's all dark.

Is this the case for everyone using full resolution silent pics?

baldand

That can also be due to texture size limits with your GPU. MlRawViewer assumes it can make a big enough texture for the frame, but full res silent pictures can exceed that limit on older GPUs

menoc

umm . . . so It's my laptop's GPU that cannot handle it? Or is it MLRawViewer that can't handle it in combination with that GPU? It's an Early 2012 15" Macbook pro.

-2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
-8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
-Resolutions: 1440 by 900 (native)
-Intel HD Graphics 4000
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
-1TB SSD

I'm gonna try it on my Mac Pro - it's a more capable system.

dmilligan

Also try using a different converter to ensure it is in fact an issue with MLRawViewer

menoc

Quoteumm . . . so It's my laptop's GPU that cannot handle it? Or is it MLRawViewer that can't handle it in combination with that GPU? It's an Early 2012 15" Macbook pro.

-2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
-8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
-Resolutions: 1440 by 900 (native)
-Intel HD Graphics 4000
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
-1TB SSD

I'm gonna try it on my Mac Pro - it's a more capable system.

I'm getting the same thing on my Mac Pro:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Type:  GPU
Bus:   PCIe
PCIe Lane Width:  x16
VRAM (Total):   2048 MB

On the other hand, MLVMystic has no problem extracting the DNGs from the MLV file and they look fine in ACR. It must be something with MLRawViewer not being able to handle 4K MLV files. This is what I get - all dark:

mothaibaphoto

This is how magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep26.5D3123_FIX from mk11174 saves MLV:

Despite card formatted FAT32 or ExFAT, after creating the first file it start to save every frame in new file (and with illegal characters in file extension too). MlvDump extracts frames just from first file silently ignores the rest, so, I can't get more than 103 frames at once.
I've read about 1500+ shots - what's wrong with my setup?