Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk11174

Quote from: bhursey on September 23, 2014, 09:17:49 PM
Yah its not fun I have been banging my head against the wall for 2 days. Would love a build for my 60D but I want to learn. Still if any one feels like building one for the 60D while I bash my head against the wall I am all for it..
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern-fullres/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep23.60D111.zip

Quote from: jtvision on September 23, 2014, 09:10:49 PM
Hi All,
I've searched the forum (and also found 46 min youtube video) on how to compile ML features.... but it seems very complicated for me. Can anybody please help to compile this for 600D or 5D Mark III?
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern-fullres/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep23.600D102.zip
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

bhursey

You sir are awesome.. I have to now figure out how to keep live view from turning off on my 60D during time-lapse.. :)

Ahh it was the camera that was turning off.  I doubt you can just turn off the lcd during the captures can you? even though I have it dimmed it still is on.. This weekend I am going to be on top of a mountain doing time lapse and every little battery % saved the better... It will be a 1 time deal. :)

jtvision

Thanks you very much, mk11174. I already did some test shots and man this is awesome!!! I can open these dngs directly in Resolve!!!

bhursey

Verry nice work Alex. I was testing the viability of this for my astro photography trip.. It seems I am getting a tad more noise however this could be because Lightroom recognizes the cr2 file and apply noise profile vs the dng?  Anways here are to crops zoomed in showing the difference.

Canon 60D 14 second exposure f2.8 6400iso

Normal Capture Non silent:

Silent picture:

You can see some more color noise in the silent picture however still very usable don't you think?  Note this is cropped.. No black frames or stacking.   

What is the max frame time lapse did any one get?

I did notice one thing interesting. With a 4x ND filter event at 100 iso i got over exposed at 1/15 to be safe. however with the ND filter for some reason I was able to up the shutter speed to around 1/200 without it crashing This caused the exposure to be more in line..  That was very odd because before it would crash if I went that high.. Although the people were blurring so it seems like it was not at true 1/200.. Just wondering if any one noticed this..

itsskin

From what I read on page 1 after 1/10 it stays 1/10 no matter what your settings are. But I can be wrong. I can go up to 1/8000 without crashing, but it's not actual speed.

bhursey

Yah but what was odd was at 1/10 it was blown out but when I went 1/200 it was fine. I switched to non silent picture and the picture was not blown out at the same settings. I will mess around with it some more. Maybe Live view is not handling the ND filter?

a1ex

It's only roughly 1/10; the minimum exposure time is actually a gradient and varies from camera to camera.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg121962#msg121962

SpcCb

bhursey > Noise difference is maybe because you use liveview for frame recording; I made some series in deepsky imaging with silent picture and noted that heating of the sensor with liveview activated during a long time just before shooting (and obviously heating of the mother board too) generate more thermal signal on frames.
This issue is also well know without using silent picture.

a1ex

@SpcCb - you mean the sensor heating done before taking the picture, while the camera was in LiveView, right?

(because the silent pic code is the same as for regular photos, just without mechanical shutter movement and without JPG/CR2 conversion)

@bhursey: can you upload the CR2 and the DNG? (I can check the noise levels in octave)

bhursey

Alex sent the link and password via PM. Its a home server and don't want a ton of people hitting it..

I am going to test battery time time-lapse today..  I want to see how long and how many frames I can get on a 32 gig card for practuse for saturday night.. I will update on test results for long time lapse..

a1ex

Noise levels are the same. Another difference is that (at least on 60D) the DNG does not have the bad pixels corrected, but the CR2 has.

So the issue might be metadata; try copying it from the CR2:

exiftool 10260000.DNG -tagsFromFile IMG_1026.CR2

bhursey

Well tested a 4 hour time lapse.. I had 2 batteries.  Battery 56% Battery 2 62% and 970 frames before my 32 gig sd card filled.  Not bad..

No the copy of the exif data did not do anything. O well I have define and other tools.

budafilms

Hi everybody, can someone compile - or share - Full Res Silent Picture in the last build 1.2.3 ML for 5D Mark III.
I tried lot of times and I'm not good compiling - I read the first post A1ex, believe me... and I tried, ;) .

SpcCb

Quote from: a1ex
@SpcCb - you mean the sensor heating done before taking the picture, while the camera was in LiveView, right?
Absolutely, activation of the liveview during a couple of minutes makes sensor reach Δt~30°C[1] and Δt~40°C[1] for the mainboard (CPU + FPGA + ASIC + LCD heating) witch participate to the heating inside the body (and the sensor heating by the way).

You can easily see it by monitoring the temperature given by the camera, who is the temperature of the probe in the motherboard (slightly different from the real sensor temperature).
From scratch (ambient temperature) it rises quickly during next minutes when you activate the liveview.

It is not very noticeable _in thermal signal_ with 'not so long exposures', but IMHO silent picture should not used for 'very long exposures' needs in astrophotography or low flux imaging.
However, silent picture is not very interesting with long exposures because it means we don't take a lot of pictures, so no shutter mechanism stress. So...

[1] => tsensor/tambient

bhursey

I would rather no shutter stress.. Also noticed something about every 200+ photos the shutter does flip once, or that could be the mirror.

Has any one tried bulb ramping or like hdr photos.? LOL

Audionut

Is it possible to disable the LCD, while retaining the liveview functionality?

Canon eos m

Hi Bhursey,

Coincidental that I read you query about HDR photos. I tried the native HDR photo function on my 5DM3 with the ML intrevalometer today morning. Worked like a breeze. However, if there is movement in front of the lens (which is the idea of taking continuous shots anyway), the HDR thingi does not come out as intended since the 3 frames once combined are not aligned.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

limey

If one of the brackets of the HDR is shooting at a slow shutter speed it will be more pronounced. If there is movement in front of the camera, no matter what you will not get the alignment you desire.

Imagine someone walking in 3 frames. It's impossible for those 3 frames to be the same.

a1ex

Did a few tweaks.

- powersaving for timelapse (like display off, or showing battery remaining time), please test.
- MLV fix: I've changed the file format after starting a timelapse, and got corrupted files (MLV data written into a RAW); should no longer happen
- MLV fix from dmilligan (compatibility with MlRawViewer - not tested, I can't run the latest versions)
- dropped RAW format

The powersave trick works for the 1-minute auto power off, but I didn't test it for the mirror going up after half an hour (that part might not behave the same way, because the camera doesn' turn off).

Audionut

@all
I've added a little note to the first post of this thread.  Feel free to redirect people who ask before searching.

QuotePlease do not ask for builds in this thread.  This thread is for development related feedback only.

If you would like a build compiled, so you can help the Magic Lantern development team by testing this feature and providing feedback, please see this thread.

@mk11174
Thankyou for providing builds for the community.  Please post your builds in the linked thread to help keep threads on topic, and minimise the amount of (eventually outdated) builds scattered throughout the forums.  Thanks.

mk11174

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on September 26, 2014, 11:22:25 AM
Did a few tweaks.
- powersaving for timelapse (like display off, or showing battery remaining time), please test.
The battery status does not show very long especially when using MLV format, while its set to DNG you can see it for a couple seconds, but it does show.

itsskin

New version is much more stable on my 5d3. Took 1500 pics and no out of memory errors. Great.
Can we get a sync signal on hot-shoe and PC port when silent pic is taken? Will allow timelapse rails control.

a1ex

Quote from: mk11174 on September 27, 2014, 01:22:48 AM
The battery status does not show very long especially when using MLV format

Correct; it only shows until file saving is done. I could look at image review settings in Canon menu and use that - useful?

Quote from: itsskin on September 27, 2014, 10:14:57 AM
New version is much more stable on my 5d3. Took 1500 pics and no out of memory errors. Great.

Yay!

Quote from: itsskin on September 27, 2014, 10:14:57 AM
Can we get a sync signal on hot-shoe and PC port when silent pic is taken? Will allow timelapse rails control.

I have no idea how to talk to the hot shoe. What about placing a photodiode to look at the camera screen? (it will turn on after every picture, so maybe you could program the motor to move one step when the display turns on).

Danne

cool. confirmed workin on my 5d mark 3 firmware 1.1.3