Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attero

High Five for Greg!
I guess thats gonna save a lot battery life when you shooting Timelapse.

Satis

Quote from: Attero on August 11, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
High Five for Greg!
I guess thats gonna save a lot battery life when you shooting Timelapse.
battery / and / make timelapses more fluent, connected due to not much time between shots
50D IR, 600D, 550D

Attero

Quote from: Satis on August 12, 2014, 02:44:56 AM
battery / and / make timelapses more fluent, connected due to not much time between shots

Sorry? What do u wanted to say?

Satis

Quote from: Attero on August 12, 2014, 04:07:45 PM
Sorry? What do u wanted to say?
I'm saying that it's not only going to be beneficial for battery life, but also give the artistic tool of making timelapses more fluid (less segmented) aesthetically, because one frames will connect much closer to each other (not so much time lost between shots) :)
50D IR, 600D, 550D

Attero

Yes, ofc. Lets hope u r right. Right now i cant go under 5s intervall :/

Satis

Quote from: Attero on August 12, 2014, 10:31:47 PM
Yes, ofc. Lets hope u r right. Right now i cant go under 5s intervall :/
Me neither, but I got to say this 5-6 sec delay gives quite a charming flicker to the video. First time I've seen it it's quite a nice change from the creamy-smooth timelapses I'm used to through MLV timelapses.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

Seb86

Quote from: Greg on August 10, 2014, 01:31:54 PM
Possible but the resolution will be such as live view crop mode.

Hypothetical question:

Do you think there is any way to shoot raw video in full res, but process it as 1080p (so that the camera is able to capture 24 fps)? The 5d mIII already does that in a certain way, it uses the full sensor (=> no line skipping) for shooting video, but processes it as 1080p. The result is almost no alyasing and moire.

My 50d produces a lot of alyasing, that's why I'm asking.

Levas

Hard to tell if the other DSLR's from Canon can do video without lineskipping.

Probably depends if the (vertical) pixelbinning is done in hardware or software. (if it's done in hardware, good chance that the option is not available in other dslr's)

There are a lot of settings in camera where picture scaling and sensor readout can be controlled.
Take a look at this topic:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.825

It is possible to not do any lineskipping, but you get only 1/3 of the picture height, cause nothing is scaled/averaged/binned, and it stops by about 1080 pixel height.
Also it seems possible to do full sensor readout in live view, but you (probably) never gonna get 25fps. ( on 6d full sensor readout gives 4,7 fps. )

Audionut

sdesign

a1ex

DavidSh

Great Job,

Maybe i misunderstood Greg "24fps resolution like live view crop" but not in live view?

Best
David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

xyboox

Hi ! Is there any chance I could get a build for 600D? Promise I'll learn to compile myself too :)

Attero

Just some short Info. 600D 19July Nightly + silent.mo from dmiligan ist still working great for me. Taking 500 pictures without any dropframes and saves same into seperat .mlv/.m00 files. Extracting with mlv_dump.exe and works perfectly. Dont wanne miss or lose this in my Canon!

Here is one framegrab from a little "ML Full Res Silent Pic" promo video im putting together...

xyboox

@Attero Is there even a build from 19th of July? I can only see the one from 18th and from 22nd .

X-RAY

Can somebody please provide me a build for the 5D MKII ... I'm aware of the risk. :-)
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

aleks

I have been thinking about the possibility of using the silent picture mode for an auto-guider setup (exp. time of only 15 seconds, but fine for my purposes) using an 1100D, but since the build for it is broken, I was out of luck. I only considered the simple mode (no high res), and I thought that that would be available, so I downloaded and built the code.
Alas, it seems that the build is broken for all things silent for 1100D (simple, etc.) hence I was not able to see if what I had in mind would work (I need the LV active while the image is being exposed).
Then, I have reverted to an old version of silent.c and commented out the offending lines. The build was a success, and while in LV I could activate the silent picture. However it just says that it is taking a frame, but hangs. A .dng file is written on the card, but it is black and the file size is too small. I don't exclude the possibility that I have commented out more than was permissible though  ;D
I guess I will have to wait until the build is enabled; in the meantime I can contribute by sending a test .raw image for the 1100D (if still needed). It would be good if the build was only broken in such a way that only the new silent functionality was missing, and the older silent features were still there for the 1100D...  8)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: aleks on September 07, 2014, 11:05:46 PMbut since the build for it is broken

What do you mean by "broken"? Builds failed to compile?
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/1100D.105/

Or do you mean the silent pic bit?

aleks

Yes, only the silent pic part of the build. I was referring to the comment made by a1ex earlier in the thread that he broke the silent pic part of the build to motivate people. Otherwise, the build compiles just fine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Walter Schulz

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg124853#msg124853
tells quite a different story ...
Do you mind if I'll delay it by 1-2 weeks? Right now there were too many crashes reported for my taste (which I couldn't diagnose), and I don't want to flood the forum with support requests. And I'll be away next week.

Sorry about that.

a1ex

The silent pic module depends on the LiveView RAW backend, which is not yet enabled on 1100D. The full-res functionality doesn't depend on that, but the module was written with LV RAW in mind.

You can try the raw video branch ( http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1009.msg119468#msg119468 ). It needs some small cleanups and it's pretty much ready for integration in the nightly builds if I remember well.

aleks

Got it. Thanks Walter, and thanks a1ex for the explanation and the suggestion. I know now where I went wrong. I looked at the code for a short while before starting to hack, and I have probably commented out the references to the LiveView RAW. Of course, then the consequence was that the silent pic was not working as intended. I believe what sent me in this direction was that I saw somewhere on the forum that someone was able to use silent pic on 1100D (simple, before the full res ability was added), so I tried to "revert" back to that state (unsuccessfully).
I will try the raw video branch and see how that goes.

dmilligan

I have it working on 1100D, one thing you can do is use WEAK_FUNC for all the LV raw backend functions in silent.c (if you do that, LV raw wont work, but fullres still will), but you'll still need the updated skip offsets (and perhaps the PHOTO_EDMAC too, I think it is the same as before). I have it working in my repo (https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/magic-lantern), there's an 1100D-Fullres branch, but I've made other changes and disabled a bunch of stuff so I could use adtg_gui, so perhaps go back a couple commits.

aleks

Thanks dmiligan! I think I have enough things to keep me busy for a while. When I have results, I will report back.

swinxx

hello,
as i can not build my own nightly like many others would it be possible that someone can post a link to a 5D mk3 build with Full Res Silent Pics enabled?
the download section only provides a nightly from 7 aug. and the full res was not implemented within the build.

thank you very much.