Author Topic: Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)  (Read 490402 times)

pulsar124

Re: Full-resolution silent pictures
« Reply #1000 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
One more reason to love the FRSP feature - I recently designed and built a 3D scanning assistant (for photogrammetry processing). It rotates a platform while triggering FRSP shots with external flash(es). The full description is here:

http://pulsar124.wikia.com/wiki/3D_Scanner

It works great. FRSP really saves the shutter life of my Canon 6D, as one needs hundreds of shots for a quality scan.

Here is my first test scan, made out of 150 FRSP shots from 3 different camera angles (Canon 6D + 50mm f1.8 STM lens + two YN560III flashes inside softboxes), of a 20cm tall statue - no artifacts, high 3d resolution. (But it took many hours to process on my PC):

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
Re: Full-resolution silent pictures
« Reply #1001 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »
Moving this here from the 100D topic.

I also have a question to А1еx regarding the silent module on the 100D that I have been using a lot for timelapse work.  I have been investigating the possibility for using it with stabilized lenses for shooting single full-resolution silent pictures in the Life View mode without actuating the mechanical shutter.  This is one of my favorite ML features since it allows taking single DNG photos at the highest sensor resolution, also in the Dual ISO mode, at locations where shutter noise is highly undesirable (churches, museums, lectures, etc.).  An additional bonus is the fact that pictures are taken in the mirrorless mode, so vibrations due to mirror flipping are avoided.  Thus sharp handheld pictures are possible at shutter speeds as low as 1/25-th down to 1/4-th of a second with stabilized lenses. 

There is one problem, however.  I usually use the back button for precise focusing at 5x or even 10x-magnification.  In this process, the image stabilizer (IS) of the lens is active and a very precise focus can be adjusted even at low light. When I am ready with focusing and metering and want to take the picture by pressing halfshutter, the IS continues working only for about 1 s. after I release the back button and then it stops working.  It does not get activated when I press halfshutter to take the picture.  This means that at the moment I take the photo, I have no image stabilizer engaged and the picture turns out blurry due to camera shake.  Sometimes I manage to press halfshutter very quickly, within this 1 s. after I release the back button hoping that the IS is still working during the actual photo taking but the time is too short to avoid camera shake.  Moreover, in this short time it is impossible to go back to full-screen LifeView for proper framing and or leveling.

So, my question is:  Is it somehow possible to increase the IS time from 1s. to 3 or even 5 s. after the back button is released?  An even better option would be to reengage the IS upon halfshutter press and holding down and the picture is taken only in the moment, half shutter is released.  In this way, the photographer would have enough time for proper framing and taking a deep breath during IS operation, before the actual photo is taken.

Thank you.

The IS is controlled by the MPU, and when exactly is enabled and when it's not, is unclear to me. In movie mode, if I'm not mistaken, it's always enabled, even in standby, but I'm not sure what happens once ML pauses LiveView in order to take the full-res silent picture.

When AF is enabled, there is a small delay before the half-shutter press, until the picture is taken (for the purpose of detecting autofocus). This delay should be enough to enable IS, but my gut feeling says it probably stops as soon as the LiveView is paused.

Do you have a sure way to tell whether IS is working, even without seeing the LiveView (such as, lens making noise, or by checking the captured images) ?

To test whether IS stays on while pausing LiveView, in movie mode, remove these checks:
Code: [Select]
diff -r 1dbb29d3cc6d modules/silent/silent.c
--- a/modules/silent/silent.c
+++ b/modules/silent/silent.c
@@ -1172,6 +1171,0 @@
-    if (shooting_mode != SHOOTMODE_M)
-    {
-        error_msg = "Manual (M) mode is required.";
-        goto err;
-    }
-
@@ -1448,2 +1441,0 @@
-    if (silent_pic_mode == SILENT_PIC_MODE_FULLRES && (shooting_mode != SHOOTMODE_M || is_movie_mode()))
-        return 0;

The feature is disabled in movie mode because you can't really adjust the shutter speed - no matter what you dial there, the full-res exposure will end up a lot brighter.

Triggering on half-shutter release is easy.

IDA_ML

Re: Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)
« Reply #1002 on: January 20, 2018, 05:22:44 PM »
Thanks for your reply, A1ex,

Yes, I have two ways of telling if the IS is on or off:

1) By listening to the noise of the lens I can tell exactly when the IS engages and when it stops working;

2) By looking at the image on the screen.  When the IS stops working, the image becomes shaky.  The longer the focal length of the lens, the larger the shakyness.

In the movie mode, the IS stays engaged all the time - extremely useful for having stabilization in hand held video shooting. 

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #1003 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
Alright, stopped all the noise sources (turned off fan, closed doors/windows), placed the lens on my ear and I could hear the IS noise (a continuous hum). That way, I could unambiguously tell the IS remains active when entering PLAY mode starting from movie mode (something I didn't expect, given that Canon code turns off the sensor and the image pipeline in this mode). That was on 60D, and my IS lens is an APS-C one, so I can't test this on a DIGIC 5 model - can you confirm the behavior on 100D (IS always active in PLAY mode when entering from movie mode) ?

In photo mode, the same hum noise is triggered by half-shutter press and stays there for ~ 1 second, even outside LiveView or if triggered from Canon menu. So, it's not affected by the camera GUI mode - that's good.

Triggering a software half-shutter press also activates IS - also good.

Included the IS feature and some delayed trigger options in the latest lua_fix build.

IDA_ML

« Reply #1004 on: Yesterday at 10:45:10 AM »
Thank you A1ex,

I will test your January 20-th build for the 100D as soon as possible.

IDA_ML

« Reply #1005 on: Yesterday at 11:27:55 AM »
A1ex,

I tested again with the Oct. 23-rd build on the 100D with the EF 70-300/4.0-5.6 IS.  Here is what I confirm:

1) In the Movie mode, the IS stays on all the time but I don't like shooting single FRSPs in this mode because it is very hard to control the shutter speed.  If I need a shutter speed of 1/4 s. for example, I have to reduce FPS override to 4 fps which makes focusing a pain.

2) When I switch from Movie mode to Play mode (Power switch to ON and Live View activated), the IS stays off.  It engages only if I press the back button for focusing but when I release the back button again, IS stops working within about 1 s.  When I now press half shutter to take the picture, IS starts working again but the picture is already taken before stabilization is good enough to minimize blur due to camera shake.  So, the picture comes out blurry most of the time.   I will check out the delay options on your latest build to see how it works now.

IDA_ML

« Reply #1006 on: Yesterday at 12:24:14 PM »
A1ex,

I have just tested your new January 20-th build.  Single FRSP works very well now.  I love the "Half-shutter release" option for the trigger mode.  This is exactly what I wanted!  I can now shoot handheld FRSPs even at 300 mm focal length with quite usable results.  Here is one, shot at 0.3s shutter speed:

Thank you so much, A1ex!  I was wondering if you may be able to implement this feature also in my favorite build from Oct. 23-rd which I use for shooting losslessly compressed RAW video with sound.  This one here:

https://bitbucket.org/ehoutsma/magic-lantern/downloads/

Thank you in advance!