600d &60d Raw video Maximum resolution ( beyond 960*480)

Started by marshal2107, June 30, 2014, 04:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshal2107

You can trade fps for max raw resolution, using the frames per second over-ride. 

As you pull the fps down, you gain record speed making possible to use higher resolutions without stop.

Then you interpolate the missing frames using twixtor pro.

When you have a 20 fps raw sequence for example, you open it up AE, interpret footage as 25fps, make the comp 25 fps. ( or any fps wanted)

Then make a calculation with the rule of three to figure out how to manage speed in twixtor pro.

25(wanted fps)------------------%100
20(filmedfps)------------------------x                    x= (filmed fps x100) / desired fps                        x=(20x100)/ 25 =%80

In this example you should tell twixtor that the input framerate is 25, and to use a speed of %80

Rewind

In AE you don't need to perform any calculations to use Twixtor for such task.
Just follow this:
1. Enterprete your footage exactly as it was shot, e.g. 20 fps.
2. Make a comp with desired fps, e.g.  24 fps
3. put your footage into the comp and apply Twixtor. Set the Input Framerate to your footage fps (20 in our example). Leave the Speed at default 100. That's it.

marshal2107

I have just found out that, and was doing some tests, so i came here to check my original workflow to compare. Thanks a lot for the info.

I have a question and you may help me. 
Doing it the way you say:

Suppose i have 50 frames, shot at 10fps.

I make the comp, 25fps.

So i'll have a 2 sec comp, that goes 25fps.

Then i apply twixtor, set the input to 10fps, speed %100.

I assume that Twixtor will interpolate the missing frames, adding 15 extra frames each second.

If that is the case, since my comp in After Effects had only 50 frames, and 2  seconds,  ¿When twixtor adds frames most of them will be out of my comp right? ¿How can i solve this problem easy, providing a useful workflow for many shots ?

Thanks a lot.

------------------------------------
Tengo una pregunta, a lo mejor podés ayudarme.
Suponiendo que grabé 50 cuadros, a 10 fps.

Hago la comp a 25 fps

Entonces tengo 2 seg de composición, que corren a 25 fps

Ahora agrego twixtor, pongo el input a 10fps, speed %100

Asumo que twixtor interpola los cuadros faltantes, agregando 15 extra por segundo.

Si es así, siendo que mi composición tenía solo 50 cuadros y duraba 2 segundos, ¿ No va a quedar parte del nuevo video que twixtor alargó afuera de la composición? ¿Como puedo resolver esto fácil para que sea cómodo trabajar con muchas tomas?

Rewind

50 frames at 10 fps is 5 seconds, not 2. Just make a comp long enough.

marshal2107

That's the problem. 50 frames at 10fps is 5 seconds, and  you suggested making  a comp in the desired fps (25 for example) and then apply twixtor; that will result in a  aprox 2 seconds comp, where there will be no room for the frames twixtor makes.

I suppose i'll make a 10 fps comp for a 10 fps shot, to have a 5 seconds comp.

Then i'll change the comp frame rate of the comp to 25, so the video will last around 2 seconds of the 5 seconds comp, until i apply twixtor to fill the gap again.

Rewind

Jesus christ! No. You just make comp at desired fps, but long enough. Make it 100500 seconds long if you wish and you're good to go.

Rewind

The easy way:

1. Import your footage and interprete it properly:
50 frames at 10 fps = 5 secs.

2. Create appropriate comp for your footage. You can simply drag and drop it to the new comp icon:

This new comp's length will be as it says, 5 seconds long.

3. Go to composition settings and change desired framerate

It still will be 5 secs

4. Apply twixtor and just enter 10 as "Input Frame Rate"

Now you have your composition 5 seconds long at 25 fps.
That's it. This is the proper way to use twixtor for frame rate change tasks.

marshal2107

Your easy way is what i said i was going to do.

It's the best way, because you have  the exact work space you need, ready to render.

If you make a very long comp , you'll have to set the work area before rendering.

Thanks anyway for the clear explanation.

ShootMeAlready

I am new to this. But if you lower fps, then dont you introduce motion blur or choppiness?  I mean even at 24 fps, blur appears?
At what point does Twixter fail to correct? 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

ShootMeAlready

Anyone have any samples of 600D shot (or similar SD 25mb/s write camera) with 12fps motion, that's successfully been interpolated to 24fps?
I would like to know if Twixter pro can deliver?  With MLV dual iso raw, one can hit 1600x670 for 12fps, so how well does twixter match the other 50% ???

1344 or so at 16 fps, interpolated to 24 fps would be anpther comparison.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"